• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is Tripwire doing?

Wilson, I think it would go a long way towards cutting down on the ranting if people (like myself) knew what you were doing. Just a simple official announcement post to say exactly what you just posted here is better than silence -- it creates a vacuum where people can pretty much make up any scenario that they want.

I think he's bang on with this post, you'd head off a lot of disgruntelled customers by just being more open with whats being done

I dont think there are many that think your sat doing nothing, but uncertainty breeds discontent, like the listening to users on here bit, it would be nice to get your thoughts on some of the points rasied on these forums even if you dont agree with the post.

if you look at when you do post it's mostly well recieved.

Upvote 0
People are working on a whole bunch of things - coders on fixes/debugging, artists on new content, design team considering tweaks to gameplay (but that will happen more after we are comfortable with stability). And, shockingly, we are listening to the community on that part - trick is seeing our way through the ranting :)

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear some offical word on these things. I think it also makes perfect sense to iron out the bugs before addressing gameplay issues because that method will likely get the work done in the most efficient way, resources-wise. I think it might be a good idea to make an announcement regarding the gameplay-tweaks-after-bug-fixing so that the ire of the forums calms down a bit. I mean seriously, how hard could it be to include an RO1-mode with:

No unlocks or selectable unlocks
Historically common weapons only
Slightly more weapon sway
Slightly less accurate weapons
Slightly reduced speed of running, climbing stairs, ironsighting...
No bandaging or optional bandaging (that is much slower too)
"Fix Bayonnettes" key
DH-style ingress/egress from tanks

I'm probably forgetting some of the other RO1 vet pet-peeves out there...

I played RO1 (and loved it) and I have enjoyed RO2 immensly as well. Personally, I happy with most of the gameplay decisions made for the new game as it is. Having seen the outcry on the forums, however, I can't help but think that the addition of something like RO1-mode would silence all the haters who will forget they were ever mad at you after 5 minutes of RO1/RO2 Hybrid goodness.

Cheers and thanks again for the update,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the update! It's good to hear some offical word on these things. I think it also makes perfect sense to iron out the bugs before addressing gameplay issues because that method will likely get the work done in the most efficient way, resources-wise. I think it might be a good idea to make an announcement regarding the gameplay-tweaks-after-bug-fixing so that the ire of the forums calms down a bit. I mean seriously, how hard could it be to include an RO1-mode with:

No unlocks or selectable unlocks
Historically common weapons only
Slightly more weapon sway
Slightly less accurate weapons
Slightly reduced speed of running, climbing stairs, ironsighting...
No bandaging or optional bandaging (that is much slower too)
"Fix Bayonnettes" key
DH-style ingress/egress from tanks

I played RO1 (and loved it) and I have enjoyed RO2 immensly as well. Personally, I happy with most of the gameplay decisions made for the new game as it is. Having seen the outcry on the forums, however, I can't help but think that the addition of something like RO1-mode would silence all the haters who will forget they were ever mad at you after 5 minutes of RO1/RO2 Hybrid goodness.

Cheers and thanks again for the update,

Fafnir_6

We already have plans for server admins to be able to restrict what is allowed on their servers, but it did not make launch. As Alan said, we are also going over changes to design in several areas, but that is something we are very careful with.

Upvote 0
We already have plans for server admins to be able to restrict what is allowed on their servers, but it did not make launch. As Alan said, we are also going over changes to design in several areas, but that is something we are very careful with.
Then please share some information about those changes you are thinking of with us.

Upvote 0
Please.. please.. first and foremost optimise the game to a 100 percent.
It's still running crap on my kinda new rig (AMD phenom 2 x4 920, HD6970). And that's not because the game is so heavy on its own but because of things like: audio being entirely rendered by the CPU and not by the soundcard, badly optimised performance, etc.

Upvote 0
Well, it would be good to know, wouldn't it? I hate how satisfied many people seem to be with their way of communicating. I know they're busy, but damn, so much scattered information (especially in player's posts). I don't feel connected to the RO community because they don't really involve/talk to the player base. People stand up and cry tears of joy when a dev releases 6 lines of a patch or expected patch and that's about it. We needzes the details precious.

Upvote 0

Thanks Yoshiro. Keeping people in the dark makes people assume the worst. The time for "trust us" is probably gone already after the Mkb issue. BTW closing that 112,000 views thread was a bad move imo

Upvote 0
Great. How about sharing some of this information via a news update? I'm pretty sure there are lots of RO players that would like to know this kind of thing ...

Well, it would be good to know, wouldn't it? I hate how satisfied many people seem to be with their way of communicating. I know they're busy, but damn, so much scattered information (especially in player's posts). I don't feel connected to the RO community because they don't really involve/talk to the player base. People stand up and cry tears of joy when a dev releases 6 lines of a patch or expected patch and that's about it. We needzes the details precious.

Public Relations is all about communication. If you don't communicate, you leave it up to the public to make wild accusations and derive their own opinions. And they have every right to, as they have nothing else to go off of. If you don't create your own message, others will do it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
People are working on a whole bunch of things - coders on fixes/debugging, artists on new content, design team considering tweaks to gameplay (but that will happen more after we are comfortable with stability). And, shockingly, we are listening to the community on that part - trick is seeing our way through the ranting :)

What, you mean that massive walls of text accusing TWI of being the most evil thing since the Dark Lord Vader don't actually help TWI tweak the game for the better? You mean TWI can pay attention to the community without posting in every single thread demanding attention that crops up? You mean that having every whiner on the forum pounce you demanding answers to every little complaint every time you show yourselves is both frustrating and unhelpful?

Incredible. ;)

Upvote 0
Silly Josef, everyone knows Vader was just Sidious's puppet. Now if TW will actually come back and throw their Sidiousness into a bottomless pit and change back to how they were before their minds were tainted, they'll be just like Vader. And when TW becomes a part of the Force they'll be the most powerful game developer in the universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blind fanboyism is as bad as blind negativity. Most of what I see is constructive feedback, whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant as long as it's constructive

There's a big difference between constructive criticism and THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE I HATE IT AND TWI SOLD OUT TO ATTRACT THE CALL OF DUTY CROWD I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TWI GAME AGAIN THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN FIX IT IT'S IN PRE-ALPHA STATE THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THESE NEW FEATURES ARE BENEFICIAL WE WANTED A RESKIN OF RO1 WITH A FEW MORE FEATURES, etc. etc. etc.

One takes the features that we have in the game and suggests ways to improve them to please everyone, i.e. making lockdown a server-side variable, or creating a mutator to change the gameplay to be more like RO1. They have a clear list of reasons why the feature is desirable, and a willingness to work with the devs to make it happen.

The other demands that major gameplay changes be made in order to appease "the only fans that matter". It doesn't accomplish anything but pages and pages of fanboy and anti-fanboy raging back and forth.

Upvote 0
What, you mean that massive walls of text accusing TWI of being the most evil thing... <yada yada general sucking up and donkey licking>
Whatever you may think most people understand perfectly well that hateful rants doesn't really help their case.
It's just that sometimes people need to vent, and it's quite understandable that they do so on the game developer's forum.

The level of complaining is indicative of one thing; people care enough about the game to post in the forums and debate about this and that.
Basically they are willing to fight to try and get the game as good as it can be.

TWI would be far worse off if the forums where quiet and everyone that was disappointed, had problems or wanted something to change just gave up and moved on.

Upvote 0
Mods remove the blatantly trollish posts if need be. There are a lot of good posters that keep it constructive while delivering an overall viewpoint you may not agree with, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush just because they have a post that is overall negative (although maybe constructive too).

People have a right to be disappointed though, and from my experience if you don't post about something whether you agree or not nothing will change, especially when you get no feedback from the devs, and it helps to make sure you're covering it from each angle. People need to chew it out. The fact the game released in the way it was however, with multiple issues can make the tone of the forum overall negative. Doesn't mean there aren't good things about RO2 but people are too busy talking about things they find fault with which spoil their enjoyment of the game.

People will get frustrated if they don't see progress though, or that the devs aren't even aware of any issues or post the complete opposite, or worse try to downplay everything (0.01%, put negative labels on people they don't agree with so they can ignore the issues)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No work done to make it possible to start competitions? =(

Upvote 0

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I still think an official announcement like the "state of the game" one from a few weeks back would greatly help defuse some of the complaints on the forums. I'll do my bit and link this thread if I come across a thread complaining about gameplay.

Cheers!

Fafnir_6

P.S.

TWI would be far worse off if the forums were quiet and everyone that was disappointed, had problems or wanted something to changed just gave up and moved on.

This.

Upvote 0
Whatever you may think most people understand perfectly well that hateful rants doesn't really help their case.
It's just that sometimes people need to vent, and it's quite understandable that they do so on the game developer's forum.

The level of complaining is indicative of one thing; people care enough about the game to post in the forums and debate about this and that.
Basically they are willing to fight to try and get the game as good as it can be.

TWI would be far worse off if the forums where quiet and everyone that was disappointed, had problems or wanted something to change just gave up and moved on.
This is all very true, Yellonet, with one possible exception. I, myself, see far too little actual debate with regard to features. What I see mostly is "If you don't like it my way go back to CoD" type garbage that does more to shut down than actually further any discussion. It's there on both sides of the coin with regard to gameplay tweaks and I'm even guilty of it myself. I try not to go that route, but I slip :(

If debating the direction of the game were the norm rather than the exception, these forums would be far better off, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This is all very true, Yellonet, with one possible exception. I, myself, see far too little actual debate with regard to features. What I see mostly is "If you don't like it my way go back to CoD" type garbage that does more to shut down than actually further any discussion. It's there on both sides of the coin with regard to gameplay tweaks and I'm even guilty of it myself. I try not to go that route, but I slip :(

If debating the direction of the game were the norm rather than the exception, these forums would be far better off, in my opinion.

Which is what I was saying minus all the douchebag sarcasm. ;)

Upvote 0