• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beach landings.

assaulting really small islands with really small beaches using multiple regiments of troops, which isn't the multiple divisions of d-day but still a hell of a lot more than 32 :p

The thing you need to remember is that with respawns, when all is said and done and the allies are off the beach, probably about 100 people have died.

While there may not be 100 people on screen at once, during the course of the beach assault 100 people will have come and gone.

Upvote 0
I know it's not a great compromise but instead of keeping 100 corpses why not have 100 blood pools or drag mark decals, that clear after the objective is taken, or the one after it is. That way you start with a clear beach but by the end it is covered in marks that show there has been a battle. This isn't entirely unrealistic, as the wounded, especially in the marines were always retrieved asap, and dragged or stretchered back to a corpsman e.g. taking cover behind a destroyed amtrac or rock. Could be an interesting compromise?

Upvote 0
Could make maps with beach landings have multiple stages. Stage 1 would be the beach landing and in this stage the defenders could have a cap on the amount of players they can have on their team. This cap could be lower than the team landing on the beach. This way attackers would have more troops then the defenders and would represent a more accurate beach landing. Once the attackers complete their objectives or time runs out etc. the stage would end. Stage 2 would begin where the fighting would then be farther inland and teams could then be balanced and the game continues as normal.

And to make Stage 1 seem like it mattered, the amount of time or reinforcements that the attackers have to complete their objectives in stage 2 could be altered depending how quickly they took the beach or how many reinforcements died during the landing in stage 1.

Upvote 0
Just for the fun of it I started making Tarawa. This is my first map in the UDK so don't be too harsh :p

Tarawa1.png

Tarawa2.png

Tarawa3.png

I could've used some LVT-1's and bodies :D

Upvote 0
I love this picture. Because of it, I can't wait to pre orders Red orchestra 2 on steam.

Do it then.

I have thought on this, I believe there is a good solution to making beach landings awesome, even with limited server capacity. The issues isn't the axis side, but its the allies side. The allies need to feel like there are LOTS of men on the beach, I believe the best way to do this, is to incorporate AI for JUST the allies side on beach landings. So the beach will be filled with troops. The Ai can serve the purpose of crowding the beach, taking cover, medic AI can treat you if wounded, and as for the axis, only the human players should be allowed on that side since in reality, there were more numbers of men on the beach than those defending.

This is a good idea :)

Btw, it's nice to see wide devs partecipation into the thread, really nice :)

I'm looking forward for this mod, and i hope to see well realized beach landings on some maps :D

Upvote 0
Have several amtraks on the beach which serve as spawn points, with usable static machine guns which can be used to cover the advance and once the beach is taken the amtraks can be abandoned. The men would go over the side or out the rear ramp depending on model and fight forward covered by a few machine gunners and perhaps scripted naval artillery while the Japanese try and suppress them with their own small arms and artillery. I don't see a way in which you could have the amtraks constantly returning back and forth as they did in real life, picking up marines from Higgins further out.

Or perhaps the actual area of beach could be very narrow, the area assigned to one Company.

I like this idea a lot. Because the beaches weren't often defended except for artillery, why not just have, on a few levels featuring landings, the marines spawn from stationary amtraks until they get inland a ways?

I read that each one can hold 24 troops. If there were 2-4 on the beach, it'd be believable that 32 respawning marines could jump out of them over time.

Though I do think, especially with such a respawn system in place, there should be a map or two with beach fighting- Peleliu would be amazing. Maybe the map itself would go more inland than, say, a D-Day map, and the defenders can't respawn until the first objective is taken (thinking like countdown). This way, the attackers can slowly whittle away the defenders and advance realistically, and the rest of the map can be more traditional.

Having them drive up to the beach in the beginning would be a lovely touch, especially if they were human controlled (or in some way unpredictable game-to-game)

I must say, though- non-landing maps are equally important to me. So much of the interest in Pacific maps comes from their variety- jungle, coral, mud, ash, caves.

Upvote 0
from the research i did i was surprised to see how the japanese strategy oftenly wasn't to stop the allies at the beaches, but to let them come inland. sometimes only a few dozen meters, or sometimes dozens of miles before opposing resistance. artillery seems to have been generously used on the beaches though.
This strategy only developed over time. Many beach landings in the Pacific were viciously opposed, such as Tarawa, Peleliu, Saipan, and Iwo Jima (though it certainly was a tad delayed).

Upvote 0