• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dragon Age: Origins

OK I am at my LAST THREAD OF PATIENCE. I absolutely cannot kill the broodmother. NOTHING is working. I hate this bull**** this game has. Injuries? Really? And extremely limited injury kits? Ok, I guess I can deal with that if I use them early on and limit the number of injuries by the time I get to the end boss. But these quests are SO DRAWN OUT and there are about five times each when you get swarmed by zombies/shrieks that there's no way that you can keep your party members from dying. Let me set up the situation:

• I am a rogue with skills in archery and two handed.
  • I have Morrigan, Alistair and Ogrhen with me. They are fitted out the best I can fit them out given their levels and stat ratings. I have powerful weapons but Ogrhen isn't high enough strength to wield them.
  • I have Morrigan giving us frost weapons. Ogrhen has two injuries, Alstair has 1.
  • I have the tactics set to the best I can. Alistair and Ogrhen have their #1 slot set for them to use a health poultice when their health is lower than 25% (yes, the arrow says lower than, not greater than, I'm not stupid). They don't use the poultices. They just attack until they die.
  • I am playing on Casual and still get owned mercilessly by the time the Shrieks come, if I even get that far.
I've tried attacking the broodmother head on; obvoiusly that doesn't work. I've tried focusing on first tentacles, then the broodmother, then tentacles + her minions, and broodmother again; everyone is wiped out when the Shrieks come in the third wave. I've stood on the ledge to her flank side and shot arrows; that was probably the least effective tactic even though I was safe from attacks until my party members all died and the minions swarmed me. I've tried using Morrigan to spam spells and everyone is wiped out by the third wave, if they get that far.

What the flying **** do I have to do? I know that the second tactic I listed is probably my best bet, but how the hell am I supposed to do it if the characters won't use the poultices in the situations I tell them to?

I took out anger on my friend here. He was VERY supportive :p

[22:08:16] <bilwit> u r the only person in the universe who is having that much trouble with the game
[22:08:17] <bilwit> lolol
[22:08:33] <bilwit> UNLESS YOU'RE NOT PART OF THIS UNIVERSE
[22:08:36] * bilwit high fives Polluxo
[22:08:57] <@BoeserFedExPapst> That's what makes me even more mad
[22:09:00] <@BoeserFedExPapst> As if that was possible
[22:09:32] <@BoeserFedExPapst> I like how you can't tell your members to use ANY type of poultice
[22:09:37] <@BoeserFedExPapst> You ahve to tell them which specific one
[22:09:39] <@BoeserFedExPapst> Because yo uknow
[22:09:45] <bilwit> w0t
[22:09:47] <@BoeserFedExPapst> I have 5 of one type, 2 of another and 1 of another
[22:09:54] <bilwit> u can do it by strength i thought like USE THE STRONGEST
[22:09:57] <@BoeserFedExPapst> So I should have to change it when I run out of the ones I assign to them
[22:09:58] <@BoeserFedExPapst> Right?
[22:10:01] <@BoeserFedExPapst> ow8
[22:10:04] <@BoeserFedExPapst> That's ****ing bull****
[22:10:09] <bilwit> olol
[22:11:18] <@BoeserFedExPapst> I'm fine tuning my strat
[22:11:24] <@BoeserFedExPapst> If this doesn't work after the third time
[22:11:36] <@BoeserFedExPapst> I am runnign naked through the streets and then committing seppuko

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
The secret to success with DA:O is crowd control.

Use your own or another caster's holding spells any time you start feeling overwhelmed. I actually was able to defeat the tough-*** demons that come from those random shards you find around the world by doing that. There's one that makes the held person invulnerable while they can't move. Every time the tank got near low health, I'd hit that and heal him up while he sat there in stasis.

If you want to avoid the tentacles, keep your people standing on those rocks.

That almost guarantees a good shot at victory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Broodmother is difficult the first crack at it when you're not too sure of her spells and the entire battle plan. Either way, it takes a LOT of pausing and manual control to be effective.

Alistair and Oghren will be on either side of her, whacking away to draw aggro away from your ranged units. Keep positioning your ranged away from the tentacles (there's a few places better than others you'll notice) or simply drop a spell on one to take it out quickly.

Key spells that are effective against this fight are healing in all forms (since it's more an endurance fight than anything), crowd control for when the darkspawn comes (cone of cold), and force field (for when Broodmother decides she wants to pick up one of your melee to om nom). I personally didn't set much of the tactics up on my play because I control everything manually. Sure, the frequent pausing sucks but AI will never be able to read what your brain is thinking and convey it on the battlefield.

As for injuries, I'm surprised. I think my first playthrough I only ended up using like 8 or 9 lesser injury kits.

This mod solves just that.
**SPOILER**

I played a heroic elf rogue, refused Morrigan's offer and made Alistair king while sacrificing myself at the end. The build up to the finale was epic and no game has made me feel sorrow for having to leave the characters behind at the end.

It will be a very long time before we see anything this good again.

**SPOILER**

I've played about 3 times now (3rd I haven't finished yet but I'm rerolling a 4th game in the same image), and my 1st playthrough ending was completely unexpected. I rolled a Dalish Elf 2H Warrior/Berserker, refused Morrigans offer, and despite hardening Alistair and having him agree to marry Anora and become King, when I went to sacrifice myself in the end the bastard ended up taking the final blow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Know this is a pretty old thread... but I just bought this game... ultimate edition, freaking nuts the amount of content in it... I've played 27 hours and the game informs me that I'm 13% of the way through lol! (and that's just origins, not any of the DLC quests or Awakening)

As for tactics issues... it took me a while to get a handle of it, but once you have enough slots for a character it's very easy to have them on "auto" most of the time, so you get to play with your own character.

For Morrigan I just have her set to always check her own health and that of the allies first (slots 1 and 2), and to take the appropriate action if they're less than 90% (i.e. suck lifeforce ability or whatever it is if it's her that's hurt or a simple "heal" if it's an ally)... after that I have a "check" for being surrounded by "at least 2 enemies" in which case she does the mental blast or whatever it's called (stuns most enemies) and then just have a bunch of different offensive spells in the order of importance (i.e. most damaging ones at the top). Nice thing about having a wardog in the party though is it doesn't really matter if he dies and gets an injury since you can make the basic dog healing kit right off the bat with level 1 herbalism.

I leave AoE attacks off completely though as it's dangerous to have the AI in control of that... when I want a powerful AoE attack from her I just pause it and launch it at precisely where I want.

Anyways... just my 2c. Having a blast with this game, though I admit the tactics screen was very frustrating to figure out at first. The order you put the "if this then do that" commands in is critical. The amount of content is absurd. (in a good way) Doesn't feel at all like Oblivion either (hated it), where, sure, it's a huge world but it's all bland and feels repetitive. The convos between Morrigan and Alistair alone are hilarious. I do wish the main character spoke outloud though as in ME1/2. Not sure why they left that out... they already recorded an absurd amount of dialogue... don't see why they didn't bother to record the main characters'...

Oh and duel dagger wielding cloaked rogues ftw ;).

I hope ME3 has a wider variety of powers to choose from... that's one thing I really dig about this game, a TON of powers/skills/talents to put your points into. Also glad to find it more difficult than ME1/ME2 (which I played on Insanity and still found too easy...). I'm only playing on "hard" in this and even though I'm no where near the end of the game it's already quite challenging. I have to really think about how I want to set up fights. (i.e. using Alistair and my wardog lol ---I'm waiting till I get the elf assassin to replace him :D--to block for/protect Morrigan while I sneak around behind whatever they're attacking and backstab the hell out of them hehe)

Oh and btw EvilAmerican, if you're still playing this game, or want to give it another shot lol, realize that you CAN craft your own injury kits at only level 2 herbalism (for lesser injury kits, which heal 1 injury). Course you gotta get the recipe, but you can find that on google (where to find it). Once you do have it though you can make a ton of them cause the ingredients are all v. common.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0