• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Terrania

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
YouTube - Terraria Gameplay Trailer

Still in development. Basically, take Metal Slug (or Metroid or other bullet hell games) + Minecraft = good times had by all. Tons of items with crazy effects, super large bosses, lots of construction options, randomly generated worlds and what looks like plenty of tile sets to play on.

Here's the devs doing an LP starting from scratch.

YouTube - Let's Play Terraria Pt. 1 "Hello World"

To me this game is incredibly boring.

Played it for two hours and made a house which has no purpose. The mining is downright painful because of the constant clicking. Exploring isn't fun because the enemies are too strong and combat isn't fun either.

At night there is nothing to do other than sit in your house or hide in a cave. Crafting is rather lame too, the menu is horrible and more than half my inventory is filled with crap I have no use for. Also you need way too much ore to make a metal and then eventually from that metal you can make tools, if your left index finger hasn't fallen of from the constant clicking.

Not really motivated to keep playing this.

Upvote 0
To me this game is incredibly boring.

Well to me the game is like minecraft, you need to enter the game with an open mind, plan, or with friends, it can get a bit boring if just playing it mindlessly.

Played it for two hours and made a house which has no purpose. The mining is downright painful because of the constant clicking. Exploring isn't fun because the enemies are too strong and combat isn't fun either.

The only thing that needs constant clicking to swing continuously are low tier swords, otherwise you can simply hold down the mouse and your char will continuously swing.

Enimies may seem too strong, but they get easy, fast! And you start getting cocky only to find yourself hitting anther impossible enime to defeat, and you must use those following resources from your newly found areas to create materials that will help you defeat the next section (Which I love about this game, you don't go though levels and get handed abilities, you need to create your own solutions).

At night there is nothing to do other than sit in your house or hide in a cave. Crafting is rather lame too, the menu is horrible and more than half my inventory is filled with crap I have no use for. Also you need way too much ore to make a metal and then eventually from that metal you can make tools, if your left index finger hasn't fallen of from the constant clicking.

Once you establish an iron sword and some basic amour (a bucket and shakels make brilliant improv) night time fighting becomes brilliant fun :D

Yes menu is pretty bad... But it is still usable and is not the worst ou there.

Metal actually becomes really easy to find at certain parts of the underground. But there are materials that WILL become a real chore to find and extract *cough*Metorite*cough* but that adds more to the reward once you've finally made it.

Not really motivated to keep playing this.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose :D

Upvote 0
I was addicted to it a few months back.

But after I realized I had to destroy my sky bridge in order to get all the meteor stuff, I stopped playing.

Also I spent almost all my time looking for scouts so I could call the horde or whatever it was so I could maximize loot. The first time the horde came I didnt pick up anything as I assumed it would be there after the battle. WRONG, most of it disappeared...had good traps and cul-de-sacs built too.

Upvote 0
Argh, spelling mistakes in the title :|

I've got 150 hours in Terraria so far. So obviously I like it.

But yeah, like Minecraft, it's a game for a specific kind of gamer. (Some would say autistics, I prefer 'highly creative.') It's a sandbox and a lot of it has to do with exploring the world and collecting ever-higher levels of gear, killing rare enemies, and just making neat, thematic stuff.

I've spent close to 40 hours just building stuff alone. For example, this is my 1.1 world:

Spoiler!

So. That's where my main interest lies. That said, with a few friends playing on medium or even hardcore, the game can be pretty fun and really unforgiving. So all the building, gearing up, ect.... actually has a point. On easier modes, you're really just experiencing the content and doing it at your pace.

Re: clicking. I got an autoclicker the day or two after Terraria came out. I've never looked back. It may invalidate some of the "benefits" of higher end weapons, but that's a small price to pay to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome. It actually ends up being MORE effective than holding click down for a lot of weapons (the drills and guns in particular. 1 click every .1 seconds is far faster than a human can maintain.)

TBH, I'm actually a little disappointed in the update. It didn't give me as much end game PUNCH as I thought it would. I basically did everything but start farming the new bosses in about 3 hours. So I already got 60% of the new gear in one sitting. The OMG hard enemies are fun, the statues are another decent reason to explore after the mid game....

But the one thing Terraria still hasn't pulled off is an interesting and meaningful underground. There needs to be more purpose in what gets put down there. The traps, for example, were a good start. As are the little houses with statues and chests. But there needs to be more of that. Way more of that.

I never build sky bridges either. Super highways are more fun and more resource efficient. Plus, in hard mode, aerial super highways tend to get plagued by Wyverns.

To me Terraria is one of the biggest indie success stories of 2011, and it's one of those games that gives budding programmers hope that they can create something cool and interesting that people like (and will pay for.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't have to be creative to play Terraria.

For myself and a lot of others the appeal of the game is getting all the phat lewtz. Once we get around to that the game basically has no purpose at all.

Like Minecraft.

The difference is I think Minecraft is a lot more fun to build in, but both games collect dust because they each lack what the other is strong in.

Upvote 0
Well Minecraft does have a whole extra plane to work with.

Terraria's end goals just aren't as interesting to tackle as Minecraft's, they always feel like an anti-climax. (Even the WoF felt that way.) I'd substitute that for really interesting world gen though. If Terraria gave me a reason to explore 90% of a world without using a world viewer, it would get even more play time from me that it has. Unfortunately it hasn't reached that point yet, but I hope it will.

Also kind of hoping for sub-realms in each world. That'd open up a lot of possibilities and make the world feel like more than a 2d plane.

Upvote 0
Awesome fun, but i got a 3rd party map viewer after about the three hour mark. It's simply too tedious to click and blast randomly trying to find the ore you need to keep progressing, and I'm playing in a small world. The starter weapons should auto-swing on hold as well, and the game could use solid tutorial on crafting given how important it is to the game. Just enough to walk you through building a small shelter or something like that. Did you know you can hold right click to fast craft or buy in full stacks? That kind of stuff needs to be shown to the player in bright neons, not burried in a dummy guide NPC (or web forum, where I found out about it).

Those are my only quibbles with the game. It's great fun to me and I imagine only better if you have someone to play it with.

Upvote 0
As a heads up to everybody who liked Terraria, it's going to get the biggest update ever released. Plenty of my friends including myself played it to death, and everyone thought further development has stopped. Well, Redigit has just uploaded the 1.2 trailer (Release date October 1).

The game itself will be roughly three times bigger content wise! Dozens of new items, Bosses, Biomes, more to everything.

Terraria 1.2 Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

Upvote 0
I hope one of the things they have added is a progression chart of some form, because one of the hardest things to do in Terrania was figuring out what you could or should do next (without having to minimize the game and consult a wiki, this was very much a wiki-game), and all this new content won't help matters at all :eek:

Upvote 0
That's what they put the guide in for. You can hand him any item and he'll show you what all the recipes for it are.

Frankly though, I think Terraria is best played WITHOUT knowing the xyz to get to hard mode, make meteors drop, and all that noise. It allows the game to be much more of an adventure, about exploration and discovery, than what it eventually turns into: people powering through the first half of the game, getting to the new content and burning out immediately afterward.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the endgame content. Once you beat the 3 hardmode bosses, there was not much challenge left. The corruption and hallowed couldn't be cleaned up alltogether, it felt a bit unfinished. Now Redigit said, if i remember correctly, there will be an actual endgame goal and you can "finish" the game now. We'll see. Maybe you find a terran spaceship to exit the map :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0