• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

Was it? Weird for something to be xbox only. I thought it was just xbox optimized.

Why don't you just yank some things out from UE3 that you have the source of? ;) I mean "use what you learned from UE3 to improve the engine" like Bioshock did.

I know this is a "discussion" we had before, but even if it was only in the engine then at least modders could make a sweet graphics mod.

I believe you are drastically underestimating the kind of time and effort and the specialized skillset it requires to do engine level programming

Upvote 0
I think you're drastically underestimating how much sales would increase if there was some KF expansion/rerelease with the improved graphics. :\
Or it's a matter of no one on the team able to do it. Could advertise that engine programmer job spot more..

I didn't say it's easy, I'm saying it's worth it. KF is a much more mass-appeal sort of game than RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Killing Floor 1 had a great art style, which helped me ignore the pretty bad models/textures. I didn't really see that though in 2.5. But from what I've seen of KF the game, it seems as if that gritty style is back (Just that feeling, y'know?). And even if it wasn't, anyone who says that KFs graphics are crap gets slapped by me. The screenies I've seen are awesome. Everything looks fluid, sharp, etc.

Upvote 0
My only visual complaint I've come up with against KF is the screen shake from pistols, ect... Not really my cup of tea, but I can live with it. And it will probably make gameplay feel more intense when I'm actually playing. From the videos though, it seems like it's there to supplement the less-than-cutting-edge models and graphics.

Upvote 0
Lol, you know why? Because Dave ([TW]Sanzliot) is a crazy gore wh***, who prefers fetus with fresh raw brain for breakfast.

Your signature implies that there are multiple tripwire employees who appreciate gory games :D

Anyway, it's cool that you're still using the UE2, because if gives us these little extra-PCs around us where to play KF. For example, I have only one 'big' machine, but liked playing the KF mod in LAN with friends, so i've been using my laptop for that which can't really run unreal engine 3. just an example.

I also like the visual style of KF and was already impressed by the nice fog in the mod version.

Upvote 0
Lol, you know why? Because Dave ([TW]Sanzliot) is a crazy gore wh***, who prefers fetus with fresh raw brain for breakfast.

Artists really scare me sometimes.

I also studied make up fx and gore in college for awhile, I originally went to school so I could eventually make horror movie make up FX, then I saw computer graphics was stealing all the jobs, so here I am :)

Upvote 0
For UE2.5, the graphics look real nice in a lot of areas. A lot nicer than RO's. But.. quite still dated.

Mmmm.. UE3.0 using shader materials for partical effects to make nice water refracting blood.

I'm sure you'll sell good enough to make KF2. But it'd sure be awesome if there was an expansion or rerelease that had some graphic engine updates to KF since KF2 would probably be many years away. :(

What can I say? I like pretty graphics. I'm an artist and all. :\

Upvote 0
test-1.jpg

'Nuff said.

This is not to undermine Alex, because he did a phenomenal job on the mod version with what resources he had available to him. Towards the end of the mod version, he was working alone on the entire product BY HIMSELF (until that Marco guy showed up to help with programming).

However, an individual's efforts really can't compare to the amount of productivity/polish you will see from a game development team. Tripwire knows what they are doing, and it shows in the graphical overhaul KF has received. Needless to say, I'm really excited. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0