• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
If I remember correctly that came from a thread in the old Mod Forums and there was a lot of discussion about what it does in real life. Some people say it improves your accuracy because it can extend the barrel a little bit, others claimed it hinders your accuracy because of the additional crap around the end of the barrel.

I can't remember the final conclusion, but if I remember right, in RO, it doesn't make a difference, or very little difference if any.

Upvote 0
In game there is no accuracy difference to mounting a bayonet or not afaik.

The story with real guns goes like this afaik:

It depends on how the weapon was sighted in, some additional weight at the end of the gun will bend the barrel slightly changing the trajectory of the bullet (only if the bayonet touches the barrel). And the gasses comming out of the barrel will bounce against the blade and give a gentle push to the bullet.

So if the weapon is designed to be shot with the bayonet on and sighted in like that, then the accuracy will be reduced if you take the bayonet off. (or rather the rifle stays accurate but it won't shoot exactly where the sights are pointing at).

The same if a weapon is sighted in without a bayonet, if you then add a bayonet its accuracy will be less.

--------
Although generally the actual accuracy changes are probably really subtile, the following will probably have a bigger effect.
If a bayonet makes a gun more tip heavy then it can be harder to control and you'll get a heavier form of "sway" in game terms. With some guns if you do not add a bayonet the weight is not in balance and will be harder to aim and thus percieved as less accurate like the m44.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I remember correctly that came from a thread in the old Mod Forums and there was a lot of discussion about what it does in real life. Some people say it improves your accuracy because it can extend the barrel a little bit, others claimed it hinders your accuracy because of the additional crap around the end of the barrel.

I can't remember the final conclusion, but if I remember right, in RO, it doesn't make a difference, or very little difference if any.

I know for a fact that Mosin Nagant M44 rifles were zeroed at the factory with the bayonet extended so in regards to that particular rile it should increase acuracy. I am fairly sure the M91/30 was zeroed the same way

The reason for this is beacasue the russians were supposed to have the bayonet attached at all time unless the rifle is being stored.

On a side note the M44 was used by officers to shoot retreating russian soldiers.

Upvote 0
Well, the difference between an mounted and unmounted bayonet is not small, its rather big.

The best example would be a M44, sighted in with bayonet extended, its impact point is around 10-20cm to the left at 100m.

If it was sighted in with the bayonet extended it should be shooting to point of aim at the distance it was zeroed. other wise it was not zeroed.

Unless of course there is a battle zero for these rifles. For instance the AK has a battle zero setting on the rear sight leaf on romainian models its marked with a P. For proper battle zero the rifle should shoot 1.5 inces low from the point of aim (1.5 is to compensate for the sight height) @ 25 meters. this will alow you to hit within a 16 inch circle out to 3-4 hundred meters.

I will have to check my M44 again but i dont believe they had a battle zero

Upvote 0