Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Default How to use smoke grenades on defense?

I've started being a squad leader and while I think I know how to use smoke on offense, I'm a little confused as how to use it on defense.

Optimally you'd want to put the smoke RIGHT in front of the enemy positions I guess, so they can't see anything and when they try to move up they will come out right in front of the smoke and get mowed down by MGs

But it's not so easy to throw the smoke that far, so often it will land in between my team and the enemy which can even help the enemy because now they can move up while my team doesn't see anything.

So how do you use them?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerged View Post
I've started being a squad leader and while I think I know how to use smoke on offense, I'm a little confused as how to use it on defense.

Optimally you'd want to put the smoke RIGHT in front of the enemy positions I guess, so they can't see anything and when they try to move up they will come out right in front of the smoke and get mowed down by MGs

But it's not so easy to throw the smoke that far, so often it will land in between my team and the enemy which can even help the enemy because now they can move up while my team doesn't see anything.

So how do you use them?
Either use them to cover your advance from the spawn into the objective, or throw them at the guys using the MG34s, as they are sure to be camping farther away (especially Mamayev on Object A, geez).

I don't use them much at all when playing Japanese defense.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM

In defence I usually drop them in the spawn. They are usually no use, and can only serve to aid the enemy in attacking if looted. But there are exceptions. Many maps a smoke grenade is very handy to assist defenders in getting into the cap. Mamayev kurgan point A springs to mind, as does Spartanovka point b (in the middle between the two maxims so chaps can get into the church without blinding either maxim).

But while they are the exceptions, most of the time I think it best to drop that smoke as you spawn so it can't be misused by the enemy.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Sometimes the Enemy completly supresses the defenders or pushes the defender to the Edge of the Point (more often in RS then ro2) then smoke can Safe the day!

When defending as Ally in guadalcanal Smoking the front of the First Target can be very effective! The Enemy will run through the smoke in your automatic weapons and flamers and cant use its long range weapons!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Sometimes the Enemy completly supresses the defenders or pushes the defender to the Edge of the Point (more often in RS then ro2) then smoke can Safe the day!

When defending as Ally in guadalcanal Smoking the front of the First Target can be very effective! The Enemy will run through the smoke in your automatic weapons and flamers and cant use its long range weapons!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 AM

If I am in a position and Defending I will attempt to smoke the enemy tank if they are mowing down my troops. At the very least, it gives some relief to the reinforcements. Hopefully it will cause the Tank to move or give AT guy a minute to get in position.

Support Custom Maps and Mods
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 AM

1. Drop smoke in front of the enemy tank that advance on our position to blind them.
2. Drop smoke on the route from spawn to the zone of defence from the side where enemy flanking or covering with MG our respawn point.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 AM

Smoke is not really effective in the defense. You can still try to throw smoke on a enemy tank, but if you can throw smoke on it, you can probably also get a anti tank soldier to throw a explosive on it.

You can also try to use smoke in a building that is under attack. This is very tricky and also risky since you visibility goes down for everyone in that building.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Smoke
The use of said item
on Defend
For Blinding enemy tanks so AT can get close to said tank
For use in large open areas so reinforcements may move to cap
best used on large maps with exposed flanks

Sad to say but most TL and SL have no idea how to use Smoke

A few point for smoke when attacking
Smoke should be as close to the cap as you can get it
If there MG or A tank in front of them
Buildings smoke should be to the side of the building and froward (large maps with building with open flanks)
never in front of a buildings wall (people cant see thought walls)
Smoke is not for hiding in it does not stop bullets

Last edited by Sir Reginald; 01-19-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Rising Storm Team

As attacker bad smoke, is generally smoke where you have to go through smoke making you blinded, while if you leave it there is enough space left for enemies to pick you off while you are temporarily blinded while leaving smoke.

The best way as defender to throw smoke, is either blocking off a great sniping vantage point. Or throwing it as far down the range as possible, that it doesn't block vision of the defenders too much. But stops attackers from using rigid cover, and once they leave the smoke are out there in the open to be picked off.

The best smoke as a defender is to block as many enemies as possible, while your guys ideally never have to go through the smoke itself. If the latter is impossible throw it as close on the actual desired end location as possible, so that if you go through the smoke you are at your goal location instead of having to leave the smoke making you a temporary easy target. (get positioned within the smoke covering an entrance and wait till it drops down a bit or slowly move forward.

Last edited by Zetsumei; 01-19-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFirst View Post
You can also try to use smoke in a building that is under attack. This is very tricky and also risky since you visibility goes down for everyone in that building.
Hm when would you suggest to use this tactic? Since it can really create a lot of chaos
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 AM

It is very risky in pub play, but it can help you when you are outnumbered in a building and you have good communication with the fellow players inside or outside the building. You will create a lot of confusion but if you keep that up it will be a greater disadvantage for the enemy as for you.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 AM

Default D-smoke on Spartanovka map!

D-smoke on Spartanovka map, scroll down for pics.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=81262

Russ
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
As attacker bad smoke, is generally smoke where you have to go through smoke making you blinded, while if you leave it there is enough space left for enemies to pick you off while you are temporarily blinded while leaving smoke.

The best way as defender to throw smoke, is either blocking off a great sniping vantage point. Or throwing it as far down the range as possible, that it doesn't block vision of the defenders too much. But stops attackers from using rigid cover, and once they leave the smoke are out there in the open to be picked off.

The best smoke as a defender is to block as many enemies as possible, while your guys ideally never have to go through the smoke itself. If the latter is impossible throw it as close on the actual desired end location as possible, so that if you go through the smoke you are at your goal location instead of having to leave the smoke making you a temporary easy target. (get positioned within the smoke covering an entrance and wait till it drops down a bit or slowly move forward.
Finally Someone sharing my opinion!
Smoke makes for awesome traps!!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post

Finally Someone sharing my opinion!
Smoke makes for awesome traps!!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM

I definitely use it early on in defence if someone is firing into spawn or into a path leading from spawn to the nearest objective.

As mentioned elsewhere spawning in Mamayev can be a pain for defenders.

Another good example is on Commissars House when you spawn and have to cross the road to G&H objectives. Cover is much needed.

When I am playing as an engineer I constantly call out for SLs to smoke the tanks, but this is not always appreciated.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM

throw it in front of teammates and laugh while they complain
Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Another vote for: Defensive smoke is for blinding tanks and MGs, or providing concealment for your guys to move into the defensive capzone.

Sometimes I throw it where I want the attackers to be (in front of their positions with no cover and long lines of sight), as some of them will have the tendency to try to just spawn and move to the smoke, use it and move into it. Trap sprung when they emerge and have nowhere to go.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 AM

hahah smoke not usefull in defence ? lol

eithr throw it far INTO the enemy so they run into it and come out without cover...and/or smoke them and call arty on the smoke...works like a charm since ro1.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM

I use my smoke mostly so people can get into the cap with out getting picked off, red october factory is the big one for that when you defend C. quite often a tank or some bugger has flanked and you get shot as you try to get in across the quite large bit of open ground (happens on a few maps really)

and like said, blinding the tank so your AT men can pop it works a treat.