• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP-40 is a a death ray gun!

Hmm.. Are you sure you have that right?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htmhttp://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm

That site talks about a 9mm Luger having a drop of about 3 inches at 100 yards. Where did you get six foot from? That makes no sense whatsoever. Are you THROWING them at the target?

By the way, you know the "effective" range is not how far the bullet will go, its how far it will go while still having enough power to kill - AKA be effective.

The 9mm loses power rapidly but that doesn't mean that it can't hurt or even kill you at 200m. It's just a lot harder to do it.

The thing I've never seen anyone do is prove that the person who got that shot hit EXACTLY what they were aiming at, and weren't just lucky.

People complain like 100m MP40 kills happen all the time, but that's just plain bollocks. Hell even 100m rifle kills are rare on these maps. They happen... just like in real life. They are rare, and hard to do... just like in real life.

What's the problem?

Check my ballistics calculator in the previous post 3-6 " at 100yds again I don't have a real problem with in game smg's at 100m.The problem I do have is their accuracy and bullet drop at 200m and beyond.On fallen fighters I first noticed I was getting 200 plus range kills without adjusting my sights on a mp40.sniping people out of windows you name it.

There is a reason why on ballistics tables handguns only go up to 100m its because its way off the chart at 200m .100m is the effective accurate range of a 9mm.Alot of people play games and think they know guns lol this isnt rocket science and is common knowledge amongst gun enthusiasts.

Here is a good topic on this matter and like I said check out my ballistics calculator in my previous post.http://www.warriortalk.com/archive/index.php/t-87140.html?http://www.warriortalk.com/archive/index.php/t-87140.html?

My last post on this subject you can't win internet arguments.And it seems the smgs guys are very defensive about their weapons.If TWI decides to keep their unrealistic extended range accuracy I will deal with it and move on ..... Just in RL its just not the case

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm just sick and tired of everybody and his brother having an smg, and several of them window camping from 50-200 yards with them like some kind of full-auto sniper rifle! Yes, in real life you could kill people just fine with one at 100m, but the stated in-game purpose of including them is for "assault."

"Assault" does not include camping in 5th story windows shooting at ants across the map with the riflemen having to storm the enemy positions and face THEIR smg's.

So, as a compromise solution (assuming they're NOT going to lower the unrealistic ratio of MP40's to Kar98's (which was ideally 8 98's to 1 MP40 in 1942-43, but often less in Stalingrad), why not make them fully accurate to 50m, iffy accurate at 50-100m, and crapola at over 100m? If people are using them as intended, why would they gripe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, honestly I rarely have trouble with an SMG. When I do, it's usually the same player who keeps managing to kill me, so I just chock it up to player skill. More often than not, however, I can drop the chuckleheads with a bolt long before they can get in killing range.

Also, if there are bullets pinging around you, and you pop out of cover and try to fire back, you -deserve- to die. The SMG is an effective suppression tool. Don't count on it's inaccuracy to save you at range.

Reactions: negocromn
Upvote 0
Well if they are going to nerf the MP-40 they better make it have a better ROF or something , otherwise then the MP-40 will be worthless wich will leave us with the same problem uh ?

Sheesh

Every things fine with the mp40 up to 100m after that the accuracy should be nerfed some.It should be used as a close quarters assault weapon not a fully auto rifle that can engage targets 200m plus with great effect.

Upvote 0
Look, theres a certain amount of realism to give the game, and then there's going to far.

What I was saying earlier, is that most real-life battles consist of a bunch of guys hiding in a hole shooting blindly and ****ting their pants. There may be some squad movement in the mix. 1 side almost ALWAYS retreats. In the end it takes upwards of half an hour and a couple of your buddies may be seriously injured or killed.

I think the level of realism the game has now is just great.
I'd still lobby for a less accurate MP40 and maybe suppression that lasts a tiny bit longer, but as is, this game is awesome and NOT CoD(which most of us hate :))

Upvote 0
I'm just sick and tired of everybody and his brother having an smg, and several of them window camping from 50-200 yards with them like some kind of full-auto sniper rifle! Yes, in real life you could kill people just fine with one at 100m, but the stated in-game purpose of including them is for "assault."

"Assault" does not include camping in 5th story windows shooting at ants across the map with the riflemen having to storm the enemy positions and face THEIR smg's.

So, as a compromise solution (assuming they're NOT going to lower the unrealistic ratio of MP40's to Kar98's (which was ideally 8 98's to 1 MP40 in 1942-43, but often less in Stalingrad), why not make them fully accurate to 50m, iffy accurate at 50-100m, and crapola at over 100m? If people are using them as intended, why would they gripe?

Have you actually tried sniping with the MP40? With the current set of maps there is a lot of open space. I tried to engage several targets 100+ yards away on Pavlovs house and it was not effective at all. Might have been latency, but any decent rifleman had no problem killing me. Below 100m it is however deadly and very accurate. Maybe they changed it in the patch?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The question is not:" Is it balanced?"
the question is:"Is it realistic?"
And if it is, dont change anything! This game is a simulation not a Cod Kiddie game where everything is balanced! I was even able to kill with the mosin nagant people with mps! And the MP40 was very accurate. The PPsh41 was more an smg, that was good at short range.

Upvote 0
I found it!!!!
Despite the impression given by popular culture, particularly in war films and video games, MP 40s were generally issued only to paratroopers and platoon and squad leaders;[citation needed] the majority of German soldiers carried Karabiner 98k rifles. However, later experience with Soviet tactics - such as the Battle of Stalingrad where entire units armed with submachine guns outgunned their German counterparts in short range urban combat - caused a shift in tactics, and by the end of the war the MP 40 and its derivatives were being issued to entire assault platoons on a limited basis.
Wikipedia

Upvote 0