• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PBBans supports Red Orchestra 2

Well i think this thread would do the job. It is quite big and lenghtly after all.

yeah, its big and lengthy, so people probably will not read most of it. maybe the first page and the last page if you're lucky. i don't remember what the entire first page was, but i don't think it went into detail about the negatives of such a system at all. And there is no telling what the last page is going to say when a new person reads it, if they read it.

Upvote 0
Web Admin is used quite a bit, so you may not see an actual 'labeled' admin playing on the server. Also, like Atavax said, some trusted regulars are given admin powers as well and they may not be labeled as such. Ask for an admin on Old Glory and someone will respond rather quickly.

As to what you said about Steam checking what programs you have installed.. Steam doesnt run all the time on your PC either like PB does. This is why I was asking the PBB guy if it could just be uninstalled when you arent using it.

Couldn't you just go to task manager and disable the punkbuster processes?

Upvote 0
oh great, the witch hunt begins. lets tie those trolls to stakes and burn them alive. Whether the person was a troll or not the points he made in the OP and the poll brought up legitimate concerns. It looks bad imo when a game company has threads that are giving feedback on game features locked and distorted by its moderators.

Legitimate concerns?

In the recent years there have been development of monitoring software that tracks and monitors cheat busting software like punkbuster , and it black lists players the software deems to be "cheating" regardless if they were cheating or not.

On of these programs is called PBbans.
PBBans is not a piece of software it is a third party (to PunkBuster) streaming service which utilizes PBUCON streaming technology.

Essentially streamed log data is sent from a server to PBBans and then parsed by our PBBHub to be displayed throughout our MPi, MBi, etc where appropriate.

PBbans runs through punk buster , it monitors punkbuster and makes decisions that often ends up blacklisting players from every single server that uses PBbans , which in some communities is quite huge. Most of these players are indeed cheaters , but there have been countless instances of innocent gamers being thrown onto this blacklist with seemingly no reason in sight , a simple google search will tell you their stories better than i can.
The entire concept of streaming servers to an anti-cheat organisation is that if you get caught on one server you get banned from them all. That's the consequence of cheating.

There are different types of bans which end up on our MBi, either EvenBalance (PunkBuster) violations or what we class as PBBans violations - bans resulting from our own MD5/CVAR detections or through submitted demo evidence.

All bans resulting from EvenBalance violations can be appealed with us and EvenBalance at the same time - their decision then determines if the ban stays or goes.

All bans resulting from PBBans' violations can be appealed with us and are reviewed by a number of Ban Managers, inconclusive bans will be removed without question.

What is worse about PBbans are the people who run it. They are not responsible individuals and completely lack the quality control to have so much power over so many servers and players. In the past PBbans have held clans hostage because they deemed one of their players to be a "cheater" and unless the clan kicked out the player , PB bans would ACTUALLY BLOCK THEIR SERVER from passing punkbuster.
Well I don't want to seem biased but the other people running PBBans are some of the best people that I've ever had dealings with online. There are around 20 staff that dedicate their own time to supporting cheat free environments across the globe. We continue to do so despite unfactual and ill opinions of the service when they do rarely appear (typically we get confused with PunkBuster but forward people in the right direction) furthermore we frequently get DDoS attacked and where we know who's responsible we pursue them through criminal complaints to law enforcement agencies.

We have a simple policy that no clan may harbour individuals who are on the MBi - we only pursue our policies where we are firmly seated and have conclusive evidence to do so.

Being as we're a third party we don't have an ability to effect PunkBuster on the scale mentioned, however we are firmly within our rights to block someone from streaming to us.

Their motto is "guilty until proven innocent". And its quite obvious they stand true to this concept because thousands of people have been barred from thousands of servers in an instant due to terrible software quality control , and on top of it corrupt server admins abusing the power of the software and getting people blacklisted intentionally , sometimes with no reason.
Actually 'Always Quality over Quantity'... don't think this bit needs elaboration. Evidence?

So I ask you fans of red orchestra , would you sacrifice your ability to play red orchestra to ensure that cheaters stay away?
o.0 maybe the question should be are you prepared to experience the BFP4F experience with cheaters because of a lack in anti-cheat?

Or should server admins simply ban problematic users instead of using this lazy , dangerous , and proven to be ineffective software to do the administration for them?
Again a lack in evidence or supportive details for a point.

Given the guy is 'On Vacation' I doubt we'll have any come back on his points from him. PBBans is more than happy to discuss it's operations in a transparent fashion however we will also respond to 'attacks' such as this with facts.

Upvote 0
Punk buster is just rubbish, i've had nothing but issues with it, random bans on servers, a complete ban on a newly bought battlefield game, somehow my cd key was linked to a banned player from years before i got it.

I was told this was some sort of bug, but there's lots of people that wouldn't know enough about PB to get it lifted, also you get kicked randomly it seems. PB is Very temperamental.
Are you referring to IP/Alias links? If so I wouldn't worry, links are useful but some admins don't know how to read player indexes and assume that the links are always positive.

This is obviously not always the case.

Upvote 0
I've never been kicked by punkbuster or banned by vac or punkbuster, but i've been banned and kicked from servers by admins for supposed "cheating" dozens of times.

you have to ask yourself, why are people on the average server upset at cheaters? It is because cheaters have a huge insurmountable advantage. If you are being banned because they believe you are cheating because you have an insurmountable advantage, whether or not you are cheating doesn't effect how much you're damaging the atmosphere of the server. Most people would rather play with a cheater that has a negative kdr, then a non cheater that has a kdr of 20:1

Upvote 0
my opinion being after a time the population will settle to a certain number of servers and those servers will run PB and Relaxed Realism (but RR is neither here nor there).
thats not cool .. you know it
we all know how you feel about us COD kiddies and relaxed realisim here at this forum to put punkbuster in with that is bull
if "RR is niether here nor there" then why bring it up ?

im editing this cause its long
I'm going to try and stick to servers with good admins running VAC only as it's always been sufficient for RO1

I don't really care if a player can see me through walls

If a guy is running a hack that makes it so he never misses or can shoot through walls, then an admin will catch that sort of thing really quick.
then you should be happy in a VAC server
also aim bots are getting really hard to spot .. and getting very complex in design .. with percentage of misses ect .
good luck and have fun
Of course I could, but I dont want to have to keep doing that. I'd rather not have it on my machine unless absolutely forced to, then I'd uninstall it when I'm done.
i understand where your coming from. i dont like it either but it is bad out there ...
just imagine if RO1 had been ruined by cheaters ( like alot of games)
to the point u either get the hack or stop playing the game

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you have to ask yourself, why are people on the average server upset at cheaters? It is because cheaters have a huge insurmountable advantage. If you are being banned because they believe you are cheating because you have an insurmountable advantage, whether or not you are cheating doesn't effect how much you're damaging the atmosphere of the server.

Meaning that i should try not to be too good or i will be kicked?

Most people would rather play with a cheater that has a negative kdr, then a non cheater that has a kdr of 20:1

So if the admin says im a cheater i should just get killed 7 times in a row, and continue playing normally?

Upvote 0
i typically play tf2 on one of the servers run by the drunken brawl community, and if there are at least 5 people on one of their servers, chances are at least one of them is an admin... and people love it, there are players either currently in invite level competitive teams, or are former members of invite level teams that frequent the server because it runs so smoothly.
The OP of that thread is a tool, a troll, and someone who was flaming everyone who didn't agree with him. Not that it matters, but there's your blunt reason.

Now, feel free to get back on topic everyone.

Upvote 0
Meaning that i should try not to be too good or i will be kicked?
So if the admin says im a cheater i should just get killed 7 times in a row, and continue playing normally?

meaning that cheating is not inherently destructive to the community. Cheating is destructive to the community because of the advantage it gives cheaters. People that a legitimately advantaged to the same degree cheaters are, are just as destructive.

If you are completely dominating a server, you should either find a server with people closer to your skill, or find a way to close the advantage such as by using a weapon you are not as skilled with, or using your left hand. And then you could tell stories of how well you did with your bad hand.

this is another area where PB and anti cheat programs fails... you can be destructive to the community without ever cheating and you will never be caught if there is no admins available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HellBilly said:
we all know how you feel about us COD kiddies and relaxed realisim here at this forum to put punkbuster in with that is bull

Punk Buster and Relaxed Realism are two entirely different things. I don't see how anyone could get the idea I was trying to 'tarnish' Punk Buster by mentioning it in the same sentence with RR. Hey, I understand you're a big proponent of PB, but that there was you making things up.

Upvote 0
Cheating is destructive to the community because of the advantage it gives cheaters. People that a legitimately advantaged to the same degree cheaters are, are just as destructive.

If you are completely dominating a server, you should either find a server with people closer to your skill, or find a way to close the advantage such as by using a weapon you are not as skilled with, or using your left hand. And then you could tell stories of how well you did with your bad hand.

this is another area where PB and anti cheat programs fails... you can be destructive to the community without ever cheating and you will never be caught if there is no admins available.
this is just crazy talk here

Upvote 0
meaning that cheating is not inherently destructive to the community. Cheating is destructive to the community because of the advantage it gives cheaters. People that a legitimately advantaged to the same degree cheaters are, are just as destructive.

Actually ok i do understand this, and i do agree on some points. But you know they could just ask me to get out nicely :D

Yeah anyway it was nice having a civil discussion about this, but i should be going to sleep because my eyes are starting drop out of their sockets.

I hope i will still see you ingame tho. May the is2 be with you :IS2:

Upvote 0
Ask for an admin on Old Glory and someone will respond rather quickly.
Butch and TWB clan have been top notch for along time
i'll bet you dollars to doughnuts they are going to be streaming
Punk Buster and Relaxed Realism are two entirely different things. I don't see how anyone could get the idea I was trying to 'tarnish' Punk Buster by mentioning it in the same sentence with RR. Hey, I understand you're a big proponent of PB, but that there was you making things up.
im not making anything up
your implying that those who use PB are as much noobs as those that like relaxed realisim
its very clear

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course I could, but I dont want to have to keep doing that. I'd rather not have it on my machine unless absolutely forced to, then I'd uninstall it when I'm done.

Not sure if this works permanently, but I have gone into Administrative Tools and then Services and set all the PB programs to manual start only. This way they only come on if I start up the game.

I say I don't know if it is a permanent solution because the two programs that I have that use it, AA and BFBC2, I pretty much stopped playing. When those games run, I don't know if it resets PB to run automatically at computer start or leaves it as manual start.

I will add though, while I don't have a problem with PB (hopefully never), it is highly annoying that I even have to do the above at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if this works permanently, but I have gone into Administrative Tools and then Services and set all the PB programs to manual start only. This way they only come on if I start up the game.

I say I don't know if it is a permanent solution because the two programs that I have that use it, AA and BFBC2, I pretty much stopped playing. When those games run, I don't know if it resets PB to run automatically at computer start or leaves it as manual start.

I will add though, while I don't have a problem with PB (hopefully never), it is highly annoying that I even have to do the above at all.

Thank you, but thats a thing avarage users dont know. Atleast i do know now :).

Its a thing PB should have from the start..

Upvote 0
For those not already aware, we are also very excited to announce the selection of PunkBuster™ Anti-Cheat software and PBBans streaming ban support for the game,

My question would be that is this (PBBANS , not PB) a "selection" to use PBBANS streaming by legal contract or simply by association. And would we in particular be able to filter out servers that are running PBBANS but still use punkbuster?

My concern is that while playing WAW last night there was a blatant aimbot on the server and PB ___did nothing__. The perpetrator was ejected by an amin. This was an example of good administration. But after that , there was suspicion of others who were simply good players. I speced them extensively and saw absolutely no wrong doing. Had PBBANS been on the scene , maybe they would have been manually banned wrongfully? This raises many justifiable concerns.

Upvote 0
The choice of whether or not a server streams to PBBans is one that the server admin takes. No you wouldn't be able to filter on the server list which servers streaming to PBBans and which don't. At most you'd be able to filter which servers are PunkBuster enabled and which are not.

By accepting the PunkBuster EULA you agree to the following:

Licensee understands that PunkBuster software inspects and reports information about the computer on which it is installed to other connected computers and Licensee agrees to allow PunkBuster software to inspect and report such information about the computer on which Licensee installs PunkBuster software. Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not limited to, Licensee's Internet Protocol Address, devices and any files residing on the hard-drive and in the memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed. Licensee acknowledges and agrees that if Licensee does not want Licensor to collect and process such information, Licensee should not use the PunkBuster software.
Thus when you connect to a PB enabled server you agree that if the server is utilizing PBUCON (actively streaming) - your information maybe transferred to another location (i.e. PBBans), in addition to the standard EvenBalance (PunkBuster).

We only ban on conclusive evidence, not inconclusive, and I'm more than happy to discuss any PBBans policies or any of the bans listed on our MBi and the evidence supporting the validity of said ban(s).

Upvote 0