• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Crescendo: The 2nd Concerto

Quick question: Are the ranks mentioned above tied to class selection? Ex. "You must be rank Y to use X class."

No not really. As said, on the Axis side of things we had people organized in to Regiments (with the whole team being considered a Division). So we had the following:

Grenadiers: SMGs and Semi-autos. Also proficient with the use of grenades and otherwise offensive tactics.
Festungstruppen: Rifles and MGs. Capable of holding the line in defense and covering the Grenadiers in offense.
Kommandos: Needed to excel in bolt rifle usage (so as to free the other classes for the two aforementioned groups), tank hunting, and melee combat. Essentially needed to be good at close to everything. There are some players who qualified for this but because they were so good at say, SMGs or MGs, they were put in to leadership positions with the other regiments to help those guys out.
Panzertruppe: In all honesty this was (during my time in Axis command) seldom used. Instead we tried to make it our goal to make all of our players good tankers and so some of the officers would put together guides or we would hold training sessions regarding tank angling, range estimation, and armor weak points. Rather than go with dedicated tankers, we wanted infantry players with excellent tanking qualifications as well. I would say a lot of our people learned a great deal about the armor system through our "schools" I suppose you could call them.

The Russians...lumped everyone together in to one big group :p

Can you also refuse a promotion?
The higher ranks and its duties are the primary reason I am not in a realism unit:eek:

You can definitely refuse a promotion!
But yeah, if you want to remain rank and file that is perfectly okay. It is hardly like a realism unit though, I would say that it just adds an extra layer of organization. You won't be expected to *salute* or call us Sir or address us by rank, for example either.

Upvote 0
Can you also refuse a promotion?
The higher ranks and its duties are the primary reason I am not in a realism unit:eek:

Yes of course you can refuse a promotion, generally within level 1 there isn't much responsibility so you can progress through those ranks without fear of having to do too much. Just let your officers know your feelings. Most of the time, in the regiment sign up threads they ask if you want to be an officer/nco so just answer no to those questions and you'll be free to remain a grunt your entire career.

Reactions: Matkailija
Upvote 0
You can definitely refuse a promotion!
But yeah, if you want to remain rank and file that is perfectly okay. It is hardly like a realism unit though, I would say that it just adds an extra layer of organization. You won't be expected to *salute* or call us Sir or address us by rank, for example either.

Thanks for the response:). It's just that all things outside of RO2 I am not really interested in (managing a teamspeak channel and such).

Upvote 0
No not really. As said, on the Axis side of things we had people organized in to Regiments (with the whole team being considered a Division). So we had the following:

Grenadiers: SMGs and Semi-autos. Also proficient with the use of grenades and otherwise offensive tactics.
Festungstruppen: Rifles and MGs. Capable of holding the line in defense and covering the Grenadiers in offense.
Kommandos: Needed to excel in bolt rifle usage (so as to free the other classes for the two aforementioned groups), tank hunting, and melee combat. Essentially needed to be good at close to everything. There are some players who qualified for this but because they were so good at say, SMGs or MGs, they were put in to leadership positions with the other regiments to help those guys out.
Panzertruppe: In all honesty this was (during my time in Axis command) seldom used. Instead we tried to make it our goal to make all of our players good tankers and so some of the officers would put together guides or we would hold training sessions regarding tank angling, range estimation, and armor weak points. Rather than go with dedicated tankers, we wanted infantry players with excellent tanking qualifications as well. I would say a lot of our people learned a great deal about the armor system through our "schools" I suppose you could call them.

Awesome! I was hoping to have the chance to be an MG gunner without having to rank up a bunch :)

Upvote 0
1) How do you plan to select your officers/admin staff?

2) How will you prevent clans stacking either side, and or players creating multiple accounts to get on one side or spy on the others forums?

3) If a huge amount of people sign up how will you manage long waiting times to get into battle and the frustration of people who are dedicated to IC having to give up their gameplay time to people who only show up for a few battles?

4) If a small amount of people are available during battle day, how will you manage one team playing with 32 players and the other only having 10 players show up?

5) How will you disclipline: map exploiting/spawn killing/forum flaming?

A lot of these items are still being worked out but I can give you some insight as to where I'm leaning.

1) The only officers I will be selecting are the initial corps commanders, otherwise it is up to them to fill out the rest of the officer positions each campaign. More details regarding this will be coming either tonight or tomorrow. As for admins, that will be a slowly growing process. Currently there is myself and EvilHobo as far as admins go and we have a separate forum moderator. There probably won't be a public call for admin staff, but I can see more mature and experienced members of the community being asked to take on admin/mod roles. Being an admin precludes a member from participating on a particular side in most cases so it is not something to take lightly.

2) Users will be required to enter their UID upon choosing a side to prevent multiple accounts registering. Spying will be taken very seriously and users entering multiple UIDs from a single IP family without prior admin consent will be warned, then banned if the abuse continues. The issue of clan stacking is still being hashed out but I feel that there will be no special restrictions unless it becomes a problem. The spirit of IC is the ability to play with, or against friends at the whim of the user. Clans are encouraged to split their players between sides since they have plenty of opportunity to play together during their own matches.

3) Generally, we will try to manage numbers by providing more server space for the players if the demand is high enough. If there is still an issue with demand for play time exceeding supply then it is up to the officers to work out rules for rotating players out and preventing excessively long wait times. I am against priority given to the hardcore gamers over the casual ones for a number of reasons, I doubt that kind of system would take hold in IC.

4) This was a major issue towards the end of IC. Generally when this happens we take a few approaches. One is to ask for volunteers to join a special "Merc" unit which are attached to neither side and can play for both to make up for lack of numbers. Another is to limit the amount of out-numbering that can occur (i.e. if one side has 10 then the other can at most have 13 players). This would be coupled with a lower limit so that we don't have too many players on the other side waiting simply because one team is light on numbers. The type and level of adjustments to handle this issue will be situation based and we do not have a definite plan in place yet but I am leaning towards the "Merc" unit idea as our first step towards fixing any issues that arise to maximize the amount of players we have on the server. Hopefully we will have more of a problem finding space for everyone rather than this as this is much harder to address effectively.

5) Rules and punishments will be addressed in more detail later this week but in general we will try to warn first and then institute forum and/or battle bans based on the type of infraction. We will also consider longer bans, or skipping a warning for more severe cases. Ultimately, repeated behavior could result in campaign-length bans or permanent bans. Forum infractions will largely be handled solely by the admin staff where battle infractions will be handled by a judicial council made up of senior officers from both sides.

I hope this answers your questions for now as we continue to flesh out the details. If you have any comments or suggestions I'd appreciate the feedback. These are all fairly sensitive subjects and would like the largest amount of community input to ensure we handle it in a meaningful manner.

Upvote 0
This sounds like something I'd be very interested in. I was very late to RO, got it a month or two ago on Steam, but have played it a lot since then - for some reason the fact I get barely any kills and die a lot doesn't seem to detract from the fun, something which I can't say for most other FPS games. It probably also helps that I love WW2 and RO is probably the best WW2 game I've played...

Couple of questions, however.

For a start, I'll (hopefully) be at Uni next year, so when you say it takes half a day or so (obviously I realise I wouldn't have to play 6 hours straight) how long would people normally play? And would it matter if I was unable to be online every time there is a battle?

And second, this isn't something for veterans of RO is it? On some occasions I've seen people get quite annoyed when someone makes a mistake, I wouldn't want to dive into something where people who are new to the game aren't particularly welcome. On the other hand, if players here are more than happy to help newer players (although hopefully I'll be a bit better at RO2 because I won't have started playing so much later) then this is definitely something I could see myself investing a lot of time in...

Upvote 0
...For a start, I'll (hopefully) be at Uni next year, so when you say it takes half a day or so (obviously I realise I wouldn't have to play 6 hours straight) how long would people normally play? And would it matter if I was unable to be online every time there is a battle?

And second, this isn't something for veterans of RO is it? On some occasions I've seen people get quite annoyed when someone makes a mistake, I wouldn't want to dive into something where people who are new to the game aren't particularly welcome. On the other hand, if players here are more than happy to help newer players (although hopefully I'll be a bit better at RO2 because I won't have started playing so much later) then this is definitely something I could see myself investing a lot of time in...

Well for starters I'm glad you're interested in IC. To answer your first question, people play as little as one round (20-30 min) to as long as a full day (depending on rotation rules and people waiting to play). There is no obligation to show up to every battle so if you cannot make it to some there's no problems. All I ask is that you still try to visit the forums once a day and let your officers know if you can't make a battle.

Second, no this is for all level of RO players. Each side will likely have training/practice exercises to work with the newer players on tactics. There is no expectation of prior experience and you won't be treated any differently than a vet (unless you don't follow orders :p) Keep in mind also, that this is a new game, there are no vets of RO2 yet.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

Upvote 0
Well for starters I'm glad you're interested in IC. To answer your first question, people play as little as one round (20-30 min) to as long as a full day (depending on rotation rules and people waiting to play). There is no obligation to show up to every battle so if you cannot make it to some there's no problems. All I ask is that you still try to visit the forums once a day and let your officers know if you can't make a battle.

Second, no this is for all level of RO players. Each side will likely have training/practice exercises to work with the newer players on tactics. There is no expectation of prior experience and you won't be treated any differently than a vet (unless you don't follow orders :p) Keep in mind also, that this is a new game, there are no vets of RO2 yet.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

Great, sounds good!

:D

Upvote 0
Amazing !!

I had so much fun in the old IC

I remember playing 4 to 8 hours straight on Sundays
The good old no girlfriend days....

Now I am lucky if I can play 2 hours a week !

Not only the online gaming experience was great, far more organized than any pubs, but the forums were very colorful and entertaining... :D

I will definitively jump in.

HIGHLY recommended.

Upvote 0
I just hope the Russians don't want to employ the traditional "Run, die. Run, die." tactics they used in the real war:p

I can't wait to play this honestly. My biggest problem is going to be which side to take. German MGs are a ton of fun, but the Mosin will always have a special place in my heart :cool:

Upvote 0