• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back exiting Tanks

cute little slogan

Doesn't really work though when you factor in gameplay.

I do like how darkest hour has it though. But I understand TWI reasoning

What is their reasoning? I"ve not looked, have TWI said they do not have exiting tanks because of gameplay specifically?
It could be for other reasons as well, maybe it's hard to code the tanks not to drive away with full AI crew while the human players spawn and wander around looking for a tank. Or maybe they just havnen't gotten to it yet.

Either way, I would like to see a way to team tank with who we choose, not just random people who have also clicked the yes to human players option.

Upvote 0
Don't think he missed the points, they're just both irrelevant.

Really? They're both irrelevant? You're countering valid points that happened in real tank warfare, and that have been used in RO1 with "They're irrelevant because I disagree"?

I've exited my tank in RO1 to go look around and try to find the opposing armour. I can't remember the maps because I haven't played it in ages, but it was something I used to good effect in the game. I would play with friends, and crew a tank. If we didn't know where something was, someone got out to take a look. No sense in pulling out from behind a hill if there was an opposing tank on the other side looking at us.

Upvote 0
Really? They're both irrelevant? You're countering valid points that happened in real tank warfare, and that have been used in RO1 with "They're irrelevant because I disagree"?

I've exited my tank in RO1 to go look around and try to find the opposing armour. I can't remember the maps because I haven't played it in ages, but it was something I used to good effect in the game. I would play with friends, and crew a tank. If we didn't know where something was, someone got out to take a look. No sense in pulling out from behind a hill if there was an opposing tank on the other side looking at us.

So instead of actually replying to my post, you try to beat around the bush through quoting a different poster?

:rolleyes:

I doubt anyone in RO1 bailed out of their disabled tank and spent the next few hours repairing the track and making sure a german sapper wouldn't permanently do the tank in; and then limp back to safer lines.

But I'm sure the majority of RO1 and RO2 players tank the way YOU do...(a bit self centered no?)

Personally, I'd rather handcuff a few zealots than allow free reigns to a bunch of knuckleheads. By the time mods come out the knuckleheads will be gone and the handcuffs will be off.

Upvote 0
I'm all for this system as I think it promotes use of the class in the way it is intended, but what happens if the tracks, turret, or engine are damaged and the tank is rendered useless?

I remember being in a tank in RO1 and having the engine destroyed. Our gunner got the offending Panther, but our tank was left up against a building with a very limited field of vision. (We bailed, I killed a German, took his mp-40, snuck behind enemy lines and proceeded to be a pain in the ***, but that's beside the point).

Has this been addressed? I think I remember from somewhere that you can leave a damaged tank for a new one, but I may just be spewing filthy lies.

Upvote 0
I don't like seeing tank crewmen fighting alongside infantry when they should be tanking; it's just wasting resources.

I also don't like when tankers are running around on an Orel sized map just to hide in the tall grass somewhere in the capzone; that's just silly.

There's just not enough of an incentive to run all the way back to spawn.

Tank locking is the best way to go as far as I can see it.

Upvote 0
sincerely, as an experienced ro1 veteran, i hope that they will let people exit from the tanks.

I remember a battle with a friend of mine : we were patrolling on a road, so we've gone upon a hill and dig in seeking for enemy tanks in the horizon. I had a phanter V and he had a tiger. Suddenly, on my left side, it appears an IS-2. I point it and shoot but it partially penetrates the front plate. So he shoots me back and destroys my engine. Then I finally put it on fire but the main result is that my tank, a one man tank, is blocked. What to do ? Leave the tank ? NO !

So i keep engaging enemy t34 but in a couple of minutes i ran out of ammo.

My friend had a one man tank too so, at the end, I decided to be his driver. I've opened the commander's hatch and exited from the tank, to help my friend.

This game it's based on cohoperation so it's crucial that we can exit from the main tank and being able to survive. We can always call in form reinforcements and enter into another vehicle, maybe driven by a friend !

Think of it, exiting from the tank and not being able to do anything else it's frustrating.

I't useful for :

1. helping your teammates if your tank is un-usable (very funny, please let us make such things)
  2. scouting upon near hills, cliffs or angles (it's fun)
  3. countering enemy infantry with TD devices (it happens on 1-1 fights, funny too)

In short, let us SPAWN IN THE TANKS (but deciding WHAT tanks, for example later high scoring players could have the right to choose for the tiger instead of noob ones ! :IS2::IS2: ) but LET US EXIT FROM THE TANK !! We got the ai, right ? Then make a script that puts the AI off when the main player exits from the main tank ! Problem solved.

We can always commit suicide in the console, what's the problem ? ;)

Upvote 0
I think we need more variety of damage for tanks rather than just KERBLAM explode. I want to see wrecked tanks sitting there and stuff.

I understand why it's done the way it is in terms of bailing out, but still, I've always wanted to see guys clambering out of their burning tank for some reason.
I have seen tanks immobile and even burning on the outside. Thought they were just wrecks. Then noticing (to my terror) that the turret was moving! Some kind of mobility kill. Creepy. The crew also gets mutilated in various ways.

sincerely, as an experienced ro1 veteran, i hope that they will let people exit from the tanks.

I remember a battle with a friend of mine...
I'm also a RO1 veteran. For every good experience exiting a tank, there were 20 bad ones. Tanking was kind of fun but the way it was set up, and people jumping out to do stuff they should not, was tedious and immersive breaking. "Benny Hilling around the countryside" is a funny but accurate description. Haha..

I support the current RO2 system and think the game will be worsened if crew can start abandoning their vehicles.

Upvote 0
You people must be crazy. ***** the pistol rampages. Give the tankers binocs and nothing else. If a tank gets hit or blown, he's already been spotted, for christ's sake. What' you're ACTUALLY DOING is preventing ANY realistic tanking from occurring.

IF you are one of those tankers that just rides toward the enemy tanks, stops, and shoots until you get blown up, this new RO is great for you! No loss in being unable to exit the vehicle. But if you're a gamer that likes to WIN tank fights more often than you lose, you do the following:

You place the tank into a hide position. After all, you don't want to get blown up before you spot the enemy, right?

You scan from the cupula until you have established that the area is secure.

You exit the tank, prone out, and sneak up to the edge of your hide and look for targets. When targets are located you:

Get back into the tank, advance forward, and blast them to smitherenes.

Of course, now, you can't do any of this. In order for the commander to see, his tank has to be where he is, which means that utilization of cover and concealment has gone right out the window. Thanks, people.

Oh, and one more thing. The only reason I'm still hanging onto this game is because of RO1's traditions. The only reason I'm at all holding out hope given the massive disappointment that has been handed me is because of the hope that mods will step forward and pick up the slack. Unfortunately, the inability to do things may or may not be able to see corrections. Is there even the ability in the engine to get in and out anymore?

ANyway, that's my two cents. I'm not arguing it because you all know the truth. Post what the hell you want, but don't expect my responses. I'm not interested in a flame war. There's no way to convince anybody of anything on the internet anyway, and seeing as this is my first post on these forums, it's not like anybody will grant any sort of credence to my message. Hopefully, however, some people will see it my way, and enough people will stand up that tripwire might actually feel some sort of loyalty to the playerbase that launched them and change some things, instead of blindly forcing down the well traveled road of beautifully rendered deathmatches that rely more on gimmicks, graphics, and sounds than realism to provide a unique gaming experience.

Tripwire had one of the few mainstream games I ever played. Ever since OFP: Cold War Crisis and the subsequent Arma line, I swore off any games that weren't realistic, as I thought that no game could possibly rival those. Then I found RO, and in it I found a game that could provide a realistic and unique experience worthy of my money and time. I put hours into that game, and when I found that RO2 was coming out, I could have jumped for joy. Then, to my utter disbelief, I fire up my preorder and what do I see? Call of Duty. I know Tripwire worked hard on this, and I certainly appreciate the hours they put into the thing, but the fact is that their fan base is in realism, and they never should have shied from that.

Having said that, my intention is to cease playing this game until a modification comes out that provides the realistic environment that Tripwire has forgotten, or until Tripwire corrects the issues. I do not expect the latter to occur, given that Tripwire took time to make the thing, and corrections would require "unmaking" them. That said, I am sorry to say that RO2 and I are most likely going to part ways.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day gentlemen. I hope you understand that this is merely my own opinion and I don't expect anyone to share it. No hard feelings. Best of luck to this community and Tripwire itself.

I actually agree with this 100%.......... TRIPWIRE ARE YOU LISTENING? I think that it would work great under these conditions:

1- Tankers can only exit when the Commander allows. (Maybe a 20 second time frame to exit from the moment he announces it.)

2- It takes time to get out on top of the tank. (An animation is used to simulate leaving the tank.)

3- Ditto for getting back in the tank.

4- Tankers have very limited weapons (binoculars would be enough, but maybe a pistol and 1 extra clip.)

This would actually make good sense.

The only problem I envision is that the maps in RO2 are not really large enough to scout for tanks (you'll usually see one somewhere, or be seen).

Also what happens when your tank is destroyed without you in it? Do you run into battle with a pea shooter?

Upvote 0
to me, without the ability to enter / exit a tank says a few things..

TW have properly decided not to add any more tanks, or vehicles for that matter, since without that feature, how do you choose a vehicle? That to me is a huge huge step backwards, as for people bailing to escape from being killed... well, that's really normal isn't it? If you're tank's engine's damaged, track smashed and optics broken... why would you want to stay in an open field as a giant free target for everyone? In RO1 when I bail, I often ask someone to come to my coordinates to pick me up, and when the enemies do it, I actually enjoyed seeing my MG gunner finishing them off as they tried to run away after their tank's in critical condition. I really don't see how that ruined any gameplay, it's really awkward now being spawned into a tank, I don't get a clear sense of where I am, and it feels extremely, horribly claustrophobic to a point that I'm basically never going to use a tank.

As for capping issue, it isn't that hard to make tank orientated maps to have objectives that can only be captured when someone's in a tank right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0