• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 is not about winning any more ,put points

sometimes the best defensive positions are outside the cap. there are quite a few examples of this on commisar's house and also apartments.

See, here where you're wrong. It doesn't matter what you *think* is the best defensive position. If your *** is not inside the cap zone you are *not* helping your team. Unless you are a great MG-gunner or a sniper, you have absolutely *no* excuse for not seeing that cap bar at the bottom of your screen at all times. End of discussion, and I don't care how good you think you are.

In a game where battle is won or lost by the number of warm bodies in cap, being outside cap is not only stupid points-wise, it is downright disloyal to your whole team.

Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0
See, here where you're wrong. It doesn't matter what you *think* is the best defensive position. If your *** is not inside the cap zone you are *not* helping your team. Unless you are a great MG-gunner or a sniper, you have absolutely *no* excuse for not seeing that cap bar at the bottom of your screen at all times. End of discussion, and I don't care how good you think you are.

In a game where battle is won or lost by the number of warm bodies in cap, being outside cap is not only stupid points-wise, it is downright disloyal to your whole team.

He's right, if players are advancing towards a cap the place they arent looking is to their behind or their sides, which makes them easy pickings to a shooter from that angle. The enemy cant cap the position, if they cant get to the zone. If you have enfilade on them on two or three sides, they are d-e-a-d.

Upvote 0
He's right, if players are advancing towards a cap the place they arent looking is to their behind or their sides, which makes them easy pickings to a shooter from that angle. The enemy cant cap the position, if they cant get to the zone. If you have enfilade on them on two or three sides, they are d-e-a-d.

Maybe, if a good team leader could designate a couple of good MGs and riflemen to be the flank team that might work. But not when every bloody team-member thinks he's Mr. John "Flank 'em till they bleed" Rambo - leaving the cap zone wide open except a couple of scared riflemen hiding out.

Someone will always get through, and most times it will be that guy with an MKb and a grudge. 1-2-3 cap lost, game over.

Upvote 0
when i play TE, i do take mg and anti-tank quite often. Irregardless, someone outside the cap killing enemies trying to get in the cap, actually does a favor to those trying to hold on to a cap as you will have less opponents coming into the cap to try to take it. nowhere in my post did i say that everyone should be john wayne flanker ******, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Upvote 0

Your right and your wrong
Key is having more warm bodes in thee cap
And on some maps the best way of doing that, is setting up a kill zone cutting off the foe from the cap
running to the cap is a really noob way of looking at how to play RO

But back to the point
the point system does not reward winning

in war the loser does not get the high score they get a cross with thier name on it

Upvote 0
Sir Reginald said:
But back to the point
Point system is designed to encourage people to win by taking/defending the zones (via killing people in/from the zone). It also helps to win the round when some conditions aren't matched and the round ends in a tie - winner is indicated by team points. There is no direct reward for winning. Victory is its own reward.

Upvote 0
The OP complaint isn't even arguably true yet it gets 6 + votes, its pretty obvious a bunch of people on here just + any complaint regardless of what the complaint is. The team leaders at the end of a round are almost ALWAYS people who got tons of points from capping, being in cap zones when they were lost, and then recapping. Hell, amusingly I once ended a round (not an entire match) at the top position without killing A SINGLE PERSON. Why? Because I was in every cap zone when it was captured.

The only time cappers are not at the top of the score board is when

A - your team sucks and nobody is capping.
B - you are defending on a map that dosen't allow you to recap most points in which case campers are ontop of the score board because you know, when defending, killing people and not dying IS sort of important.

I love that half the people on here who constantly complain about the gameplay constantly whine that everyone is a "run and gun cod noob" and the other half (sometimes, somehow the same people actually) complain that everyone just camps for points.

Upvote 0
Your right and your wrong
Key is having more warm bodes in thee cap
And on some maps the best way of doing that, is setting up a kill zone cutting off the foe from the cap
running to the cap is a really noob way of looking at how to play RO

But back to the point

in war the loser does not get the high score they get a cross with thier name on it

I was playing commisar's house the other day, leading the attack for nearly the entire round, near the top of the board due to my cap points etc. Near the end of the round I stop for a minute in a position where I have a clear view of the german reinforcements running in and am picking them off at a good rate before they even have a chance to engage anybody. Then a friendly starts bludgeoning me and kills me. When I ask what in the world he was thinking he tells me that he shoots people who don't help the team. I told him I'm sure he was doing a lot of good for the team by staying away from the front entirely and shooting friendlies.

People who think only *their* way of playing the game is the only correct way are always wrong. The "right" thing to do is entirely situational. As you point out above, while the sort of generic right thing to do might be to get in the cap zone, if the cap zone is just a meat grinder because both sides keep flowing in in equal amounts, cutting off the other guys reinforcements, or taking out their guys in the rear who are doing the most damage is often just as or even more important.

Upvote 0
one mans camping is another mans defending the objective

I totally agree. However, these people should not be rewarded for executing the most basic strategy in combat with a ton of +1s! In fact they should even be restricted (by making weapon handling more difficult as 99% of the time easy weapon handling is more advantageous to the defender).

Riflemen should be being rewarded for capturing land, not killstreaks.

Upvote 0

If I can , from a certain position, kill every single person who spawns am I not helping my team? I am effectively denying them a spawn and the whole zone. So why should I bother being at the cap zone?

By arbitrarily ending the discussion you're missing the point; you need a balance in order for the team to win. People need to be denying, people need to be capping, people need to covering, people need to be defending.

Upvote 0
On Spartanovka playing as allies I have frequently experienced losing because people don't stay in the cap zone. And this in situations where the allied in reality had the upper hand, and where it was only a matter of minutes before the axis had been drained of reinfs.

If the axis are only slowly progressing, and have met a lot of resistance, they may cap Housing block 2, but at this point, with enough resistance, they should only have around 20ish or 30ish reinf left (on 32-48 player servers), with the allies having twice or sometimes even triple that amount.

At this point it is very basic work for allies, they should fill up the town hall (a couple of teammates guarding the immediate flanks wouldn't hurt either), and just drain out the remaining axis reinfs as they try to cross the open space to cap zone or pick them off when they enter the building.

But at this point I have experienced again and again that most of the allied players just wander off to the far edges, or forward into Housing block or stay back in spawn and try to snipe the flanks or I don't know what. So only a handful of players are actually inside the town hall. It is easy for an ecqually sized but determined handful of axis players to get into the town hall, and all they need then is to be lucky and pick off the defenders and they cap the objective.

This has happened so many times, at a point where the axis should rightly be losing on account of the reinfs, and after a hard fought round where they have had to fight for every step they take. It can be a real downer to witness, and this only because players don't go to cap. They didn't even have to fight the enemy, their presence alone would be enough to counter their capping power and allow time for actual players to dispose of the attackers.

Upvote 0
the point system doesnt reward winning
but rewards camping a cap
while you have a small group are trying to win most maps ,most just camp caps for the points
And why not
Winning does not give you any more points
losing does not take away points
so why not just play it safe and just camp

note to self it about points not winning stop yelliing at people for camping

That's what you get when you throw a barebones stats/leveling system that encourages people to go for the kills rather than capping/winning. The current system rewards individual playstyle instead of teamwork sadly :(

Upvote 0
I'm playing RO2 for quite a while now and I just managed to unlock my bayonet recently (which gives much more advantage in a melee encounter over new players btw). because I don't do many kills, I just help my team get the cap zones...
So in one hand we have people who are farming weapon levels by individual kills and don't care about honor points earned thru capping and on the other hand we have people who wants to win the game by capping zones...

Upvote 0
I'm playing RO2 for quite a while now and I just managed to unlock my bayonet recently (which gives much more advantage in a melee encounter over new players btw). because I don't do many kills, I just help my team get the cap zones...
So in one hand we have people who are farming weapon levels by individual kills and don't care about honor points earned thru capping and on the other hand we have people who wants to win the game by capping zones...

It is not necessarily an either or. Going for caps, either as attacker or defender, will invariably also give you lots of kills, simply because, despite the number of non-teamplayers, it is still the areas with the largest concentration of enemies. This is speaking from personal experience.

Upvote 0
That's what you get when you throw a barebones stats/leveling system that encourages people to go for the kills rather than capping/winning. The current system rewards individual playstyle instead of teamwork sadly :(

I just came from a game on Station. I was on allies defending the ground floor of the North hall with my ppsh. At the end of the round I had the second highest team points and 38 kills ( the Axis never capped ).

I don't see why people can't do both and still be a part of a winning team.

Upvote 0