• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character DLC: Female avatars and new voices

Character DLC: Female avatars and new voices

• Yes, makes sense.

Votes: 159 75.4%
  • No!

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters
@thundermitty
Take into account that the survey was optional and isn't necessarily representative of owners of KF, and TWI probably has a better idea of their customers. Besides, even if TWI was wrong in this reasoning (which I highly doubt), there are various other issues with adding female characters.

Oh, and just because you are ok with paying for female DLC, don't think that there won't be a ton of people complaining that male characters are free, but you have to pay for female ones.

My copy of Killing Floor came with one character. I had to buy the others through purchasing DLC & through purchasing Team Fortress 2.

So nearly all of the male characters in the game are not "free" & must be purchased.

I guess you're not familiar with the concept of polling. Polling has been used to accurately predict things, such as elections.

Steam hardware survey is very accurate. So much so, that some game companies base their requirements off the hardware survey results.

"Each month, Steam collects data about what kinds of computer hardware our customers are using. The survey is incredibly helpful for us as game developers in that it ensures that we

Reactions: jd641 and aesdana
Upvote 0
So nearly all of the male characters in the game are not "free" & must be purchased.
Well, not only are you wrong (KF comes with 6 character standard), you also didn't have to buy them to play a male character. Some people have an issue with paying for something they should have inherently and would cry foul if TWI asked for them to pay for female DLC.

I guess you're not familiar with the concept of polling. Polling has been used to accurately predict things, such as elections.

Steam hardware survey is very accurate. So much so, that some game companies base their requirements off the hardware survey results.
Thanks for being condescending. The accuracy of the survey isn't equal to that of gallup polls, and even if it was, the interpretation of it can be done poorly. I have a very nice desktop comuter, but my laptop can also run KF (but not games like Black Ops or ME2) and having that portability is a big plus. Regardless, as I have already said, this is about TWI's game and customers, not steam in general. Even then you are going by what Yoshiro (who doesn't work for TWI anymore) was allowed to say.

It's not 2004 anymore. Any computer that has trouble running Unreal Tournament 2004 or a mod or game based off its engine is long overdue for an update.
You could make the same argument for WoW. Irrelevant.

It's often the case that a better gaming experience comes at the cost of increased hardware requirements.
Really? You are plain wrong. Gameplay can be good regardless of hardware requirements.

Most people want a modern experience on their PC. That's why you'll see the latest Call of Duty games (Modern Warfare 2 & Black Ops) in the top ten list of most played games and not the original Call of Duty.
You mean because they are new, right? Besides WoW has many more players than Blops. Irrelevant.

So most people's computers would be able to handle it just fine.
You want to possibly block out people from the game so you can get more people to play the game? Or block out people who already own the game so that others who also own the game could play as a different character that you can't even see normally?

And you still didn't address the fact that even if you are right, there are various other reasons that TWI would not release a female character.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but you're being extremely vague in your responses.

Here are the current requirements for Killing Floor:

PC System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 64 MB DX9 Compliant
    • Hard Drive: 2 GB free hard drive space
    • Sound: DX 8.1 Compatible Audio

• Recommended:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHZ or Equivalent
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support
    • Sound: Eax Compatible

The current hardware requirements are very modest indeed.

I only know of one person who has trouble running this game.

See his post:
What Killing Floor looks like in DX 7:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713947

He has a computer that's over a decade old & has a DX 7 graphics card.

However, he still runs it & it's his most played game.

Everyone he's talked to about it suggests that it's time for an upgrade.

He plans on getting a new computer this summer.

Exactly what would the hardware requirements become if female characters & voices were added to the game?

Keep in mind that over 75% of people polled on this forum want female characters and new voices. People in other fora, such as Steam's Killing Floor forum also want the same thing.

It's also worth mentioning that the Killing Floor mod has female characters: Sgt. Kara Barnes & Claire, the stalker.

The retail version of Killing Floor is quite an improvement over the Killing Floor mod, both in terms of graphics & game-play.

The only thing it's missing is female characters.

Of course, the hardware requirements are greater for the retail version of Killing Floor than for the mod.

Most people felt that the increased requirements were well worth it.

Otherwise they wouldn't have bought it since the hardware requirements are greater for the retail version of Killing Floor & the game costs money, while the hardware requirements are lower for the Killing Floor mod & the game is free, provided you have Unreal Tournament 2004, which you can get off ebay for a few dollars.

This is why you'll find few servers for the mod version and the ones you do find are mostly empty.

Most of the fan base has moved to the retail version.

If the hardware requirements have to be increased in order for improvements to be made to the game, then it wouldn't be the first time.

There's nothing stopping TWI from putting a female character or two into the game and making the rest DLC.

Reactions: jd641 and _Duke_
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but you're being extremely vague in your responses.

Here are the current requirements for Killing Floor:

PC System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent
    • Memory: 512 MB RAM
    • Graphics: 64 MB DX9 Compliant
    • Sound: DX 8.1 Compatible Audio

• Recommended:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHZ or Equivalent
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 128 MB DX9 Compliant with PS 2.0 support
    • Sound: Eax Compatible

The current hardware requirements are very modest indeed.

I only know of one person who has trouble running this game.
I actually run on what that person does, except with 20 FPS.
I don't think it would be a good idea to say that the minimum is '64MB' for the Video Card. The MB, is pretty much moot since you can have over that, but still experience difficulties in playing... An example being that I have over the Minimum system Requirements, and I run the same as that person, except with 20 FPS.

My current Video Card is an SiS661 FX, Motherboard integrated. However the one thing that made such a difference in the frame rate was the Nvidia 6200. They're both 128MB, but the Nvidia allowed me to solo on lowest details (Not seeing yellow/white models) with 40 FPS - When it came to online, even with 1 other player, it'd begin to lag horribly.
I'm not taking a swing at you, but I'm guessing you copy and pasted that from Steam/Wikipedia/TWI-KF; In which, I think they should update that to be more accurate... (Model+ names i.e)

At the moment, I can't play Killing Floor due to that horrid 20 FPS, even on lowest configuration settings (You can edit the config manually to get that low, which is what I did - So 'the graphics card only being DX7' thing is sorta inaccurate since he probably manually edited it as well)

While Akame seems pretty right to me, you have your points too.
But, it does eventually come back to Thundermitty; Because while you shouldn't update to hinder peoples performances from past decades, the fact is games are getting more and more better in detail, graphics and everything; They're going to have to suck it up and play on 5 FPS or face the reality that they need to buy a new one. You can't have an smooth gaming experience if you sit back with a 10 year old computer, as I am.
That's why I too, am acquiring a new computer - My friends have pitched in to assist and sometime, I'll be able to play Killing Floor in the luxories of my own home, and not at theirs all the time. That's just how it is; You can't have a 10 year old computer and expect companies to make games to run for you when the market demands graphical gameplay :l
If it adds memory, then fine. That's what happens when you add more content to games; Which, I'm pretty sure Killing Floor wont die anytime soon; So there will be more content added, thus memory, and more lag due to it; It'd just be nice to add Female characters to the game for variety. And as it's mentioned; It's been in demand for some time.

-- However, onto whether it should be DLC; I'm 50-50 about this.
On one hand, it will give players the ability to select an female avatar to portrait their gender or just suit their own preferences of what they prefer to play as (Whether it be because they feel comfortable hearing a female voice; Cosmetic; Or sexual)

On the other hand however... This is not a dress up game. This games focus isn't on what character you are, or prefer; It's an first person, survival horror game that has focus on shooting, killing and surviving.
The DLC exists for the option if you want to play as something outside of everyone's generic character; Or because your preference is that you will greatly love to be wearing a tuxedo and a gas mask while running around killing specimens. But it's not a must to play, it's an want.

You could see it as being sexist, crappy or whatever else to make the female an DLC character, but once again it's an character not necessary to enjoy the joyousness of the game; It's an luxory (So to speak); If women have an issue playing as a male character and demand the female not be DLC; Then you need to change yourself, not try change the game. You have to take what you get, unless you pay for the character; Otherwise, if you get a rock, you're going to get a rock. Don't whine about it. To feel so strongly about the want of playing a female character then you need to remember this isn't a game where you try make yourself pretty or handsome, it's to kill some mutants.

I was going somewhere with this, but my keyboard broke half way and I forgot the rest. :(

Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
I'm sure that the main problem was with the voices, not with the models.

they would have to make "female specific" voices
make sure that every voice is used in the right situation.
change some voice commands to be global to both female/male.
the trader would require some more voice commands as well (seeing as she tends to make some "sexual" comments)

this would mean TWI has to

find a female voice actor.
find the voice actor they used for the trader.
find the voice actor they used for the male voice.
spend some time making lines that a woman would say
spend some time changing lines and re-writing the voice scripts.

and when they have finally done that, people will also want each individual character to have his own voice (elderly father with the voice of a young man? ridiculous), which will make it cost even more.
~unless of course some KF fans would like to lend their voice to TWi for free *hint hint*~

there's is always a way to help your favourite game out.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that the main problem was with the voices, not with the models.

they would have to make "female specific" voices
make sure that every voice is used in the right situation.
change some voice commands to be global to both female/male.
the trader would require some more voice commands as well (seeing as she tends to make some "sexual" comments)

this would mean TWI has to

find a female voice actor.
find the voice actor they used for the trader.
find the voice actor they used for the male voice.
spend some time making lines that a woman would say
spend some time changing lines and re-writing the voice scripts.

and when they have finally done that, people will also want each individual character to have his own voice (elderly father with the voice of a young man? ridiculous), which will make it cost even more.
~unless of course some KF fans would like to lend their voice to TWi for free *hint hint*~
That is a good point...

If TWI can do it, then hooray. If they can't, then I'm fine for denying female characters (As if my opinion matters anyway.) since I think it'd be better to let people get used to playing male (Even if they don't want to;Get over it, not dress up game etc.) than have a female model walking around sounding like a British man. (A small population disturbed by playing male; Or most people disturbed by the woman with the man's voice? Favor the majority.)

Upvote 0
That is a good point...

If TWI can do it, then hooray. If they can't, then I'm fine for denying female characters (As if my opinion matters anyway.) since I think it'd be better to let people get used to playing male (Even if they don't want to;Get over it, not dress up game etc.) than have a female model walking around sounding like a British man. (A small population disturbed by playing male; Or most people disturbed by the woman with the man's voice? Favor the majority.)

I would have to say a female waltzing around sounding like a british man would be kinda of funny but then it would quickly fall into disturbing.

Upvote 0
No females characters. It would make the game noob friendly :mad:
... I'm sorry. What?

How does having female characters make the game more nub friendly?
And heck, more so; Why not have them, then? If the game is more nub friendly, then it'll help people stick with the game when they start off, rather than going "This game is unfriendly, I go now."

Upvote 0
No females characters. It would make the game noob friendly :mad:

Looking over your past posts Lubaz, is there anything else you do aside from talk through your arse?

Anyway, it's important for the devs to make a game that has some degree of noob-friendliness so potential customers who don't play many games don't get turned off from the game they're trying to sell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Too much work to bring female players I guess. Will need to make all new animations, so girl doesn't walk/run like a elephant.

And also voices. Image community girls could contribute and work on voices for free, but animations are totally different beast.

I think it would be more possible if there were community project to bring women to KF. Modelers working on sexy girls models, animators sexily animates them and voice actors voice acting them with a charming voice.

By "sexy", I don't mean plastic Hollywood girls.

Upvote 0
By "sexy", I don't mean plastic Hollywood girls.

This ^

We don't want this:

Spoiler!

We want this:

Spoiler!

sverek, we are talking about girls from (mainly)LONDON here, not about "sexy" girls.:p

That joke was bad and you should feel bad. Also, Lara Croft (pic) is british! :V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm personally sticking with the female soldier, the woman cop (epic bowler hat really tops the cake), and perhaps a few of the others. Just remember that "sexiness" should not be the deciding factor, only "kick*ssiness";)

And Lubaz, I know your having a lot of fun, but I hate having to act like a jerk and tell you off every time. And people are starting to catch on :p

Reactions: Eureka
Upvote 0
They're good if you have a gasmask fetish.
Oh, Mr. Foster...!!!
lv.gif

Pyro's gas mask is too snouty. Ugly thing.

; I find myself enjoying Pyro quite a lot since I've always chosen Androgynous characters over Fe/male ones - It even states in the Description, Pyro's gender is unknown.
Anyone with half a brain knows the voices are copy and pasted anyway, and so you can easily disregard this when you get used to it while it underlines the possibility of pyro being male.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Carnivore isnt already dead sexy? maybe I'm the only one...
i am pretty sure that any one of killing floors female players would jump at the opportunity to do the voice acting for the characters. i sure would if i had that chance, even if no pay was included. As far as memory is concerned, i must agree that there are just some things that need that little extra bit of space, besides, it isnt gonna double its size or anything. :eek:
Oh and i am all for the idea of adding a Mrs. Foster.

Upvote 0