• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to balance MGs and make them overall more desirable class.

aop

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006
IRL both DP-27 and MG-34 could be fired from shoulder when standing or kneeling. Ingame you can only hipfire. Adding this feature to the game would help balancing the weapons since DP-27s low ROF would make it a lot more controllable when firing it from shoulder.

However this isn't the biggest advantage this system would achieve. If MGs were handled like normal weapons they could take advantage of the excellent weapon support system this game has. MG players would no longer be required to deploy in middle of a window if they wanted to shoot accurate shots from inside a building. They could simply support the barrel agains the corner of the window, exposing far less of themselves to enemy soldiers.

Biggest issue with MG gunners ingame is that when they need to take accurate shots they need to expose themselves way too much and are often greeted by the "Cannot deploy here" message before being shot to pieces by opposing forces.

Here is example of firing MG42 from shoulder IRL:
MG42 Full Auto Belt Fed - Good Shooter - YouTube

TL;DR version:
Make it possible to fire MGs from shoulder. Make them have very bad recoil if the gun isn't supported by enviroment (like resting on wall, window frame etc). This would make the MGs far more versatile weapons and possible MG gunner positions much better hidden and less predictable. This would also negate the "Cannot deploy here" effect. Still keep bipod as the most stable firing platform.

edit: Forgot this one: Make shouldering MGs take significantly longer time than shouldering other weapons due to their weight. This combined with high recoil when shoulder firing should be enough to keep the MG rambos at bay.

Last edited:
If they have very bad recoil when firing from the shoulder and reduced recoil when bracing it on something, wouldn't it be redundant as you can just use the bipod mount instead of bracing it as the bipod is a lot more useful?
Bipods can't be used in many places where other weapons can be rested. Deploying a bipod on window position leaves you much more exposed than simply resting the barrel on window frame.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people think the MG class is so bad. I've played the game the majority as an MG gunner and I find it fine, and I also can consistently score well with it.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to being able to shoulder fire the weapon. There would be no need for increased recoil though, a bipod doesn't reduce recoil, but it should indeed take longer to go into sights and there should be significant sway(especially while tired).

Upvote 0
aop, I agree with you 100%, right now you cannot use MG with the full potential since the fights are on very close ranges. In most occasions you re picked by a rifleman while deploying, or searching for a target. Right now MG have little impact on gameplay because other classes are just more effective. If it would be possible to raise the MG's to shoulder and, lets say using your stamina for it when without support I think it could be great improvement in game mechanics.
Other than that I love RO2 Mg's very much :D

Upvote 0
The only thing can think of to give the MG slightly improved functionality would be to allow MGs to deploy on the shoulders of friendly soldiers. While not ideal that would give you an advantage to deploy quickly in areas that dont have a ton of deployable cover.

Honestly I love the MGs in RO2, they require a lot of time and practice, but they do work.

Upvote 0
NO. Last thing we need beside the MkB rambos is run'n gun machine gunners. Can't deploy? Pick you position carefully next time. Problem solved.

Can't deploy here
Can't deploy here
Can't deploy here
Can't deploy here
Can't deploy here
Can't deploy here

WTF IT'S A FLAT PIECE OF GROUND GODDA- *Gets shot by the guy I was trying to deploy and shoot*

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't constantly getting screwed by the deployment. I've been on perfectly flat sections of ground I couldn't deploy on, or the crest of a slope that wouldn't let me deploy till I had fully exposed myself. Being able to shoulder and rest the LMG like any other weapon (abiet slower, and with appropriate recoil) would make squad machine gunner much more viable. I'm not asking for Rambos. You should have to be stationary while firing shouldered. I just want the ability to brace it like any other weapon without having to use the cover system and frame myself because I can't deploy any other way.

Reactions: Typewriter
Upvote 0
I find myself playing as a machine gunner a lot and to me most of the difficulty comes from not finding a good spot to deploy or not having another team mate backing you up!

I have no actual military experience so pardon any ignorance but I'm pretty sure that light machine guns are typically mixed in with fire teams/squads or at the very least used in teams.

The point I'm trying to make is that I've had more success using the machine gun trying to imitate the same behaviour I've read about/seen in documentaries or movies which usually involves having at least one buddy by you as much as possible to help keep you protected during relocation and helps you spot when your MG is set up and ready to fire (the extra ammo helps too :D).

Besides good teamwork/communication I've also had a great deal of luck engaging the enemy at longer ranges, using much larger amounts of ammunition (whatever works right? ;) ) and making sure that I'm in a spot where it's always easier for me to kill the enemy rather than just deploying in some random window 50m away from some random sch

Upvote 0
From my experience the only time you get instantly shot as you deploy is if you deploy in a hot zone really, as in there's more than 1 or 2 enemies on the other side of the area. The only way I can ever deploy without getting instantly shot or forced back into cover is if I do it overlooking one of our bases for instance, and shoot the 1 or 2 enemies that come in piece meal to try to capture it. Deploying an MG in a window when there's tons of enemies in sight equals insta death.

Please add the suggestions, make MGs something to be feared :)

Upvote 0
yes, MG should be something that is feared in battlefield.

Though currently, due to many over the cover pop up shooting accurate rifles makes them somewhat unrealistically weak.
(This is why there should be more sway after instant sudden movement just like real life, more sway to rifle and shift to stable it seems more accurate and fair system to me.)

Maybe making MG be able to rest on many objects, not full deployment though, just as other rifles would be fair and accurate; though a bit of accaracy penalty to being just rested MGs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0