• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best and worst of suggestion - Look here before posting

Seriously, how many soldiers get out their compass in the middle of a firefight? You learn the area and key locations well. You just need to know the map imho

I'm sure that I and the rest of my fellow community members over at Tactical Gamer will have no problem learning the maps and figuring out landmarks. But, I think having a compass will make it easier to talk tactics with anyone on any server.

I would be satisfied with at least a server side on/off option for a compass. Barring that, I would like to see a static minimap instead of the rotating one that is currently in use.

Upvote 0
Modeling of shrapnel being thrown from grenades - current system is either insta-dead or no wounding.

nice call, but do ya know how much CPU usage this means?

weapon systems that featured at the latter stages of the war like the StG44 Vampire sights
or the attachment that allowed it to shoot around a corner.

would be great, but we dont even have the standard weapons of 1942 like the Mg42!
If we have all standard guns we could think of ultra rare experimental guns.

Menu controll when is in the tank whit human player..

included.

Firing while dying in "worst of". This is in game is it not?

you kinda missed that discussion:
it was about the fires automatically a long burst with the Smg when dying.
(not the player controlled shooting when bleeding to death that is now ingame)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure that I and the rest of my fellow community members over at Tactical Gamer will have no problem learning the maps and figuring out landmarks. But, I think having a compass will make it easier to talk tactics with anyone on any server.

I would be satisfied with at least a server side on/off option for a compass. Barring that, I would like to see a static minimap instead of the rotating one that is currently in use.

I think you will find I was refering to real life combat and not the game... I was never told to get my compass and map out in a firefight, only for escape and evade.

Upvote 0
I think you will find I was refering to real life combat and not the game... I was never told to get my compass and map out in a firefight, only for escape and evade.

I understand that Koopa. I also understand the need for "realism" by many of the RO2 community (me included!). But, in my humble opinion, I think that losing a bit of realism is worth it if it enhances the tactical possibilities of this awesome game and makes those tactics more accessible to the general public.

I was merely making a suggestion to the developers about something that I, and many others I've talked to, would like to see introduced to the game. It was not my intention to troll you, upset you, or in any other way, derail this discussion.

Upvote 0
Auto balance suggestions : http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=62269

Would be a good one to add :)

Small basic list of what the thread entails :
No switching the last X minutes, prioritize people who have switched and people who just joined over others for auto balance, non-autobalance white list for clan servers, no auto-balance while reinforcement queue is under a certain threshold, give warning to player who is being switched.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nice call, but do ya know how much CPU usage this means?

Not really that much. Once the player lets go of the grenade, take several seconds to calculate 10-15 randomized vectors for bits of shrapnel. Much less load than 3-4 seconds of PPSh fire calculation, for instance. You could nearly dump a mag downrange in the same amount of time, which is 35 rounds for the server to model and track.

Or on the really lazy side - just add a second bubble with a reasonable radius for 50% chance of being hit by shrapnel and have the server just flip a coin for everyone inside, then apply to a body part. Add client side random impact puffs on surrounding surfaces - voila.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reloading...?!?!?

Reloading...?!?!?

This always drives me nuts in supposed "realism" games. I havent seen ANYONE post this on any forums although someone might have. Something very important is usually missed (even in arma 2 i think) is "reloading bullet count." I think if a guy with any gun with a clip (smg/mg/rifles) fires only 3/4, 1/2, etc of the bullets out of his gun, and decides to reload, he wastes the clip. If you want "realism" thats the least you can do I think. Ammo management is VERY important in every war/battle and every game seems to miss this. :( And i think the mgs need to sound scarier! lol. Please support this idea though, I think its very important and balances the game some more. (just think....if you fire one bullet and reload every time till you were outta ammo, that would mean your guy had like 100 clips on him)

Upvote 0
Something very important is usually missed (even in arma 2 i think) is "reloading bullet count."
I think if a guy with any gun with a clip (smg/mg/rifles) fires only 3/4, 1/2, etc of the bullets out of his gun, and decides to reload, he wastes the clip.

I agree, but RO1 had this feature! If you shot 8 bullets and reload then you have a mag with 8 bullets less in the chamber.
It does NOT magically reload like in COD. :rolleyes:

I dont own RO2 yet, but I cant belive they changed this... can anyone confirm?

Upvote 0
This always drives me nuts in supposed "realism" games. I havent seen ANYONE post this on any forums although someone might have. Something very important is usually missed (even in arma 2 i think) is "reloading bullet count." I think if a guy with any gun with a clip (smg/mg/rifles) fires only 3/4, 1/2, etc of the bullets out of his gun, and decides to reload, he wastes the clip. If you want "realism" thats the least you can do I think. Ammo management is VERY important in every war/battle and every game seems to miss this. :( And i think the mgs need to sound scarier! lol. Please support this idea though, I think its very important and balances the game some more. (just think....if you fire one bullet and reload every time till you were outta ammo, that would mean your guy had like 100 clips on him)

I agree, but RO1 had this feature! If you shot 8 bullets and reload then you have a mag with 8 bullets less in the chamber.
It does NOT magically reload like in COD. :rolleyes:

I dont own RO2 yet, but I cant belive they changed this... can anyone confirm?

I think that flawless is suggesting the players dispose of all clips, partially used or not. The fact of the matter is that clips cost money, most soldiers of any modern war have been trained to keep track of their equipment. Although Hollywood has us believe otherwise real soldiers put empty clips back onto their person. That way if they salvage more compatible ammo, they can reload those clips, etc.

What I can confirm from the game play is that the reload system works the same as in RO1. Players cycle through their ammo belt.

Because of the various weapons and magazine types featured in RO2 the reload behavior changes, but for this example we'll use an imaginary mp40 with a 30 round clip.

If clip 1 has 15 bullets and clip 2 and 3 have 30 bullets then:

Clip 1 is reloaded => Clip 2 is taken in place (with one bullet remaining in the chamber from Clip 1) *Player will receive message, "New magazine is full."*

Clip 2 is reloaded (without any other action taken) => Clip 3 is taken in place (with one bullet remaining in the chamber from Clip 1) *Player will receive message, "New magazine is full."*

Clip 3 is reloaded (without any other action taken) => Clip 1 is taken in place (with one bullet remaining in the chamber from Clip 1) *Player will receive message, "New magazine feels over half-full."*

In summation, imagine a rotating belt on your player which exchanges magazines with reloading actions. Any clip with a capacity of 0 is skipped. Unless every shot is counted by the player, one can never know exactly how many bullets are remaining in a clip except for those which are empty or full. Upon spawning, one can (depending on the weapon) reload the weapon to force a round into the chamber effectively giving you one more bullet. However, Clip 1 would now have one less bullet in it. K98 and Mosin are obviously not capable of this.

Upvote 0
Squadleader can select location to deploy stationary MG or antitank gun on different fixed spots on the map.
Oh yes, please! YES!

As it is now, many stationary MGs are never used as they are either in completely wrong place (some of them are really weirdly placed) or nobody wants to paint a target to their forehead as the stationary MG position is 100% accurately known to enemies.

Anti-tank guns would be sweet too. But they need to be able to setup in different locations (like quoted above) or they are useless.

Additionally, somewhere along the line once the bugs have been stomped and there is time for extra content, it would be great if there would be HMGs to lug around the maps too. You know, to be able to move the Maxim MG on its wheeled cart mount or carry an MG34 tripod for the MG gunner to deploy where you will.

Upvote 0
MOST IMPORTANT SUGGESTION:
I hope a tripwire employee frequents this thread and relays the good ideas back to HQ.

Custom helmets

No. Soldiers wore standard issue headgear, and officers had the same. Keep it that way.

magnetic tank-mines
If they had them in Stalingrad, and they weren't extremely rare, then Yes.

Fair System to select weapons
Nah. The soldiers who work hard, and maintain their equipment, survive.
Suggestion: Delay in weapon selection. Higher honor level = earlier choice of class.

Country Flag in the scoreboard (teamroster)
More important things need fixing, first.

Removing spawnprotection once the enemy team is out of reinforcements
Yes please.

Last stand maps (Wave defense/Holdout maps)
Hell yea!

A system to share ammo
Absolutely necessary. Add this.

asymmetric team ratio
In RO, I prefer realism and challenge to balance. Axis could be extremely OP in some maps, and I wouldn't mind playing Allied.

mixed nade selection
Have it like it was. I believe 2 nades per soldier generally? And a smoke nade for an officer?

Uniform variety
Per map, yes. Per individual, no.

Bayo stabbing from behind
Any bayonet hit that extends through the torso, should 1 hit.

Limited Ammo in supply crates depending on map or gamemode.

Yes. Hell, why not a map that is heavily based around soldiers having 2-3 clips/magazines per life?

ability to roll when prone
Double-tap A or D to quick-role. Too much rolling causes blurring and dizziness.

Manual reloading (topping off)
Yes.

Crater Marks
Don't know if this is a viable change, but if so, I would LOVE to see it.

standard layout of PPSh should be drummag
I'm in favor of realism over balance when it comes to RO, but if it's unlockable, I'm fine with that too.

Reloading or changing your weapon inside transport vehicle.
Yes please.

No teamkill if you kill friendly player with a dead nade.
Shouldn't have cooked a grenade at that moment. Bad team-play should always equal bad honor results.

Upvote 0