• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Non-standard server concerns

Mangley

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Whilst I'm a supporter of good community creations and customizations, I have concern about gameplay variables that can be modified by server admins, and custom content that can be imposed on the player without warning.

How much control do server admins have over stock gameplay? Are there any preventitive measured to protect the player's enjoyment from arbitrary decisions made by server admins that can adversely affect gameplay, by which I mean anything from subtle changes such as respawn rate and round time to low gravity and super-speed.

Are there any controls for the player to filter out such customized servers and also those with content such as sound mods or custom models/textures? In my opinion things like that have been the bane of both the Source and Unreal engine in the past. In all honesty I want my game experience to be as the developers intended rather than suffering through modified gameplay and being forced to download file after file of unnecessary crap that an admin feels like adding onto their server in some vain attempt to make it more attractive.

I'm sure there will be plenty of good, stock servers... but I'm just curious about how I can avoid those that are not.

Sorry, but if you're not about custom gameplay, RO may not be the game for you. The RO community is heavily built upon customization and control. Almost any RO1 server you find today will have customized game play, plenty of mods, non stock maps, etc etc.

It also all boils down to this. If you join a server and don't enjoy their settings... leave, find a new server. It's not too difficult.

Upvote 0
It also all boils down to this. If you join a server and don't enjoy their settings... leave, find a new server. It's not too difficult.

It might not be difficult, but it's definitely a hassle.

I don't have anything against modded servers (so long as I am still in control of where I play), but I hate finding out that a server is modded after I've joined. Server cvars aren't really an issue for me, but I am concerned about custom content. There really should be a "download custom files" option/filter this time around so that people can avoid the servers that insist on running modded files.

...hopefully RO2 has more filter options than RO did.

Upvote 0
RO2 isn't RO:Ostfront. RO2 isn't released yet and I doubt you are in any position to tell people if it is a game for them or not.

Play on a ranked server for example.

I'm assuming that when you make a ranked server there are less options that you can change?

And when you set it to custom more options are available? Will ranked servers only be on official maps?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that when you make a ranked server there are less options that you can change?

And when you set it to custom more options are available? Will ranked servers only be on official maps?

That seems to be the implication.

Making ranked servers require stock maps/settings would probably lessen the chances for boosting and stat padding, and unranked servers don't give out points (right?), so it's probably safe to assume that there are going to be more options available for admins.

Maybe we'll see some of the configuration options during the beta :)

Upvote 0
RO2 isn't RO:Ostfront. RO2 isn't released yet and I doubt you are in any position to tell people if it is a game for them or not.

Play on a ranked server for example.

Implying the RO community has changed so much because of a number behind the game title? Sorry, no. Also to note: "MAY NOT BE" I never said the game is not for him. I said it may not be for him. Assumptions are for suckas.
mmrtbadass.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whilst I'm a supporter of good community creations and customizations, I have concern about gameplay variables that can be modified by server admins, and custom content that can be imposed on the player without warning.

How much control do server admins have over stock gameplay? Are there any preventitive measured to protect the player's enjoyment from arbitrary decisions made by server admins that can adversely affect gameplay, by which I mean anything from subtle changes such as respawn rate and round time to low gravity and super-speed.

Are there any controls for the player to filter out such customized servers and also those with content such as sound mods or custom models/textures? In my opinion things like that have been the bane of both the Source and Unreal engine in the past. In all honesty I want my game experience to be as the developers intended rather than suffering through modified gameplay and being forced to download file after file of unnecessary crap that an admin feels like adding onto their server in some vain attempt to make it more attractive.

I'm sure there will be plenty of good, stock servers... but I'm just curious about how I can avoid those that are not.

I'm going to play this as generously as I possibly can.

Go play on ranked servers using a ranked server filter feature.

I will not be joining you. Have fun.

Upvote 0
Watch out, you might get dislikes on your post cause you're not a nuthugger~~

I understand the purpose of having vanilla server filters, because sometimes I'm annoyed by gigabytes of South Park sound clips being downloaded for ten minutes on end when I play Counter Strike,

but custom servers are positively where it's at for mining more depth out of the game. Those that want Totalfun and Greyghosts, I'm sure will be in the same boat as me. There's a lot of fun custom content, no doubt. It's why I still play Warcraft 3. And those of us that know people that make custom content....god bless them. I love them to death.

But, y'know. Add a filter. That's all you gotta do. I can neither respect the opinion of "I'm going to categorically dismiss custom content out of hand" nor can I especially enjoy a situation where I can't tweak default values and enjoy custom content. It's part of the fun of being on an open platform, it increases the replay value by oodles and oodles and toodley oodles and most RO vets know what I mean when I say this, as well as the development staff.

I'm a groucho, I know, but it's just because I'm passionate. Or something. Maybe subtract the "p."

Reactions: Void
Upvote 0
I understand the purpose of having vanilla server filters, because sometimes I'm annoyed by gigabytes of South Park sound clips being downloaded for ten minutes on end when I play Counter Strike,

but custom servers are positively where it's at for mining more depth out of the game. Those that want Totalfun and Greyghosts, I'm sure will be in the same boat as me. There's a lot of fun custom content, no doubt. It's why I still play Warcraft 3. And those of us that know people that make custom content....god bless them. I love them to death.

But, y'know. Add a filter. That's all you gotta do. I can neither respect the opinion of "I'm going to categorically dismiss custom content out of hand" nor can I especially enjoy a situation where I can't tweak default values and enjoy custom content. It's part of the fun of being on an open platform, it increases the replay value by oodles and oodles and toodley oodles and most RO vets know what I mean when I say this, as well as the development staff.

I'm a groucho, I know, but it's just because I'm passionate. Or something. Maybe subtract the "p."

No I completely agree. It's very very very simple to just say "I don't enjoy this server, I should find a new one."

Upvote 0
With all new games you will have to do a little leg work at first and find the servers that you like. It's very comforting to know that you will be able to play ranked or unranked servers. For me I love the servers with alot of rules because It gives me a better chance to play with the kind of players I like and It also lessens the chance of having one giant deathmatch with no team play.

Upvote 0
Nut huggers disliking and derepping like crazy in this thread.

You mad you have to play non hardcore servers cause you bad? I'd say c'ya in game with my Kar98 in your face... but lmao you'll be playing the pansy version of the game.

I think you are mistaking Red Orchestra for CoD, Mr Gangstee.

"Hardcore" is a popular game mode of the CoD franchise.

Sorry, but if you are looking for CoD game modes, RO2 may not be the game for you.

Upvote 0
....unlike EA/DICE or UBI, Tripwire actually know how to code a proper "server browser" so the answer to your question OP is a resounding YES you will be able to filter, filter and then filter some more! ;)
We are assuming KF server browser qualifies as a "proper" one? Because as better as it is than the ones in lame console ports still has some glaring issues.

Upvote 0