• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

major fps prblem when there shouldnt be

joeblow

May 18, 2006
my specs
amd sempron 2600+
Nvidia 6800 128mb AGP (diff version drivers tried too w/ no diff)
1gb ram
creative SB Live 24bit

I get stuck at about 19fps no matter what setting full low d3d low rez and all to d3d9 with max and high rez. Always 19 fps I have tried things with bold games but nothing works. This is very frustrating since it is the only game I like now that cod2 has been ruined but I cant play it because the fps sucks so bad its jumpy when every shot counts in RO.

as a comparison I get about 45-80 fps in cod2 in dx7 with everything maxed and 2xaa and 8x af so RO should be a breeze for my pc yet it giving it a heart attack.

my driver specs have been from app controlled to 2x aa/ 4x af doesnt make any difference to the fps its always 19ish.

opengl? I dont see that as an option I only have d3d/d3d 9.0/software. No opengl.

I just dont get this why would I be the only one? None of my other games do this and my hard drive was just recently reformated so its not any stupid spyware or anything like that.

as I posted before setting have been from full low to full high no difference at all excepte better visual quality but no slow down or increase in fps.

as for programes in the background I run mcafee internet security but have tried with it off and no difference again, plus I dont need to disable it to get 45-80 fps in cod2 so it shouldnt be hurting that bad.

I am just starting to think there is some weird amd sempron issue or mobo or some sort of conflict but I just dont see why only ro is effected. (god pc's can be retarded no wonder consoles are starting to take over).

Upvote 0
ive tried different sound options but never completely off i think.

just tried opengl and that was def the wrong way to go 6fps.

I just dont get it, this is so frustrating got bored of lame ass cod2 so bought this figuring here is a kick ass game that will scream on my pc yet it runs like crap great I can never win.

I kinda think the in game settings may not be working though because ill turn off dynamic lights yet it still looks the same?? so is there some bug where the options dont really work? Also I have my gfx setting on medium and the disabled shadows but when I go into the .ini some things are still set on higher and ultra high.

is it safe to post my .ini? because if so I will and I will show you my settings in the .ini when in game there on medium - shadows.

Upvote 0
I have problems with performance too. And i guess that i shouldn't have them with my pc: A64/3700+ 2gb Ram([email protected]) Asus X850Xt@540/1210(Ext.Ati6.3) 200Gb Seagate ide Seasonic S12 600w Soundchip is onboard Ac'97 I have quite much stutters and fps is too low, 35-50, with higher/highest setting, lowering settings doesn't seem to help a much and disabling HDR didn't help either. I think this is unacceptable, cause BF2/Fear/COD2/HL2 etc run much better, and they are totally different graphic-level. And no, i'm NOT gonna disable my F-Secure virus/firewall-program, and nobody should ever do that.

Upvote 0
@Joeblow: by all means post up the .ini and we can take a look.

@Raikku: my rig has a similar spec to yours, and if you are getting 35-50FPS that is just fine. Stutters is another issue, again you may want to look at the sound, also any background processes.

Stay with it... it's a shame if you are in the minority that get issues, but it's worth the effort :)

Upvote 0
ok so here is my .ini and as I said my in game settings right now are d3d9.0 1024x768 medium settings -shadows. So you guys see if my .ini truly represents this. Also I just bought BF2 today (bad ass in a different sort of way) and it rund smoother even with 1024x768 2xaa and medium settings so something is definently worn with this picture.

PS all UO guys who left cod cause cod2 is crap take a look at BF2 its actually pretty good (this coming from someone who hated BF 1942 cause cod was way better).

so if I could just get ro to wokr I could die happy I would have my serious realism game (RO) and my fun run and gun but not to the point of being retarded game (BF2).

anyway here it is my .ini (its long)

Protocol=RedOrchestra ProtocolDesc...istLoader] bUseMapList=False MapNamePrefixes=

Upvote 0
joe i have similar comp
amd 2800+
nvidia 6600gt
sound blaster audigy
i get on average 50 to 70fps (upto 125 on arad) your weak point is your cpu but you should be getting more fps than you do i noticed when i turned off the soundblaster i doubled my fps the card is a cpu hog and your cpu is weak. use one of the other sound options in the menu and you will notice a big difference. hope this helps...:)

Upvote 0
I have already had my sound on d3d and software made no difference I even had all the eax and all that good stuff off with gfx at full low still 19fps. Its so dumb I would think if I got 19 fps in full low then I should get like 2-5fps with full high but nope still 19fps so that just cant make any sense but somehow it happens.

Upvote 0
so just for the hell of it I went and tried the sound in every mode with hi and low detail no difference what so everexcept it seems to play maybe just maybe a little smoother with low detail.

still if my cpu is too weak to handle this game then that doesnt answer why I can run cod2 and BF2 with eax and better gfx does it?

I really want to enjoy this game I love the idea behind it but all this crap is just making me notice other things like when you get a connection error then everytime you hit the back button it just says connection error until you alt tab out and retart the pc.

I mean stuff like this is just dissapointing when all you wanted was a good running tactical pc game without all the modern fluff that gives pc's a heart attack then only to find out for some unexplainable reason you cant even run the old tech well.

Upvote 0
no ive never messed with the ini before so I wouldnt know how to do that.

one thing I saw that seems odd to me in in my driver setting for nvidia I have coolbits installed and it has an agp section and in that sectiond it has compatibility an its listed as so

GPU 8x/Chipset 8x/OS 2x/Optimal 8x

so am I reading this right it seems as if windows has locked my card in agp 2x mode? is that right or is this normal?

Upvote 0