• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any chance of KF being rebuilt for UT3

mamoo

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
East Sussex, England
So, UT3 has recently come out, and as we all know KF runs on the 2k4 engine, and I know loads of you are gonna whine about the mod being 2k4, but hy don't you just rebuild KF on the new UT3 engine, it can't be all that different from the 2k4 engine and may give the game the revamp it needs to take it beyond just a glorified mod and make it a game in it's own right.

Would doing this stand only to greatly benefit all players, server admins and modders concerned for a variety of reasons including increased performance (esp wrt multicore support e.g. concurrent zombie limit), overall engine capability and graphical enhancements?
Yes.

Will Tripwire invest the necessary development resources into an already finished game, pay the extra licensing costs to Epic or even read this thread when they can keep churning out mediocre money-spinning DLC packs for minimum effort that suckers queue up to buy?
No.

So is this only going to happen when ambient temperatures in hell fall below zero?
Yes.

Is there any point continuing this thread?
See answer to #2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was mentioned that if sales go well they might consider a KF2 someday.
But keep in mind that the license for the UE3 is about 1 millon melons and that their next priority most likely is RO:HOS which I will most definitely buy.

But who knows, if RO and KF are still doing good by then we might have a chance to playing KF2 in a few years for now. Hope that happens!

Upvote 0
Did flaming TWI make you look like a tool?

Yes.

Distinguish critical analysis from flaming instead of acting the generic peanut gallery fanboy, there are no extra points for one liners ;)

As the administrator of THE most popular KF server globally by player numbers, responsible for servicing a huge number of their paying customers suffice to say I am one of Tripwire's biggest fans and have a lot of interest in issues like this.

That also puts me in a very good position to give my frank assessment of this issue and I am pragmatic and will not sing their praises mindlessly or gloss over uncomfortable truths. If everyone did that nothing would ever improve.

The summary is that unfortunately this will not happen for a myriad of reasons but primarily the cost of development and licensing since they are a game publisher out to make a profit and keep costs down, not a group of modders despite the PR. Also game publishers stoke up rumours all the time to test concepts, until there is a signed press release, magazine articles and conference tech-demo showing so there will be no KF2...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You run a server that allows nearly five times as many players to play on it at any time compared to the basic 6 man server. Your server will always be more 'popular' because you accept more players before the cap kicks in and said rejected player goes elsewhere. Just like the other 5 25+ servers ranked behind yours. That's a silly argument especially coming from an engineer such as yourself. But your server serves a purpose I've had a peak and had a laugh at your website and the teen testerone that rages on it. Its good those individuals are coralled onto one server. I'd say the top server starts ranked at 6.

Upvote 0
As the administrator of THE most popular KF server globally by player numbers, responsible for servicing a huge number of their paying customers suffice to say I am one of Tripwire's biggest fans and have a lot of interest in issues like this.

That also puts me in a very good position to give my frank assessment of this issue and I am pragmatic and will not sing their praises mindlessly or gloss over uncomfortable truths. If everyone did that nothing would ever improve.

The summary is that unfortunately this will not happen for a myriad of reasons but primarily the cost of development and licensing since they are a game publisher out to make a profit and keep costs down, not a group of modders despite the PR. Also game publishers stoke up rumours all the time to test concepts, until there is a signed press release, magazine articles and conference tech-demo showing so there will be no KF2...

My, aren't we full of ourselves?

A) Your status as a server admin qualifies you to talk about your server.

B) Your assessment of the financial reasons for KF2 not probably happening are mostly correct.

C) Your dig at the DLC, the fans and TWI reasons for doing it make you look like a tool.

D) Please, oh please, bringer of truth, save us from the darkness.

E) Have a nice day.

Upvote 0