• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun holding

Chadwiick

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Tampa, Florida
Hey, one thing I have noticed in games today is the fact (everyone knows this) you run around with your gun up.

Perhaps, to make things more realistic and more appealing to the eye, you could with the simple touch of a button (on the mouse - or near your movement keys) lower your weapon instead of runnin' 'round like a lunitic with your weapon up pointin' at everything. Then just as easy, point it back up with the simple press again.
Encouraging people to do so, should be an easy thing, when your gun is down you simply move faster since you aren't leaning into the gun.

Another option; just default that the gun is pointed down automatically all the time, then when you decide to shot (or aim) your gun is brought up to fire and stays up for a period of time.

What do you think?

Reactions: LemoN
Chadwiick, you know that you lower your gun automaticly if you run? That was also a feature in RO1.
I guess he's referring to the normal jogging/walking mode.

And yes, I'd support that idea, as to why it would make sense... not in the current system, but just give a slight penalty on stamina when having your gun up and you've got an incentive to behave realistic.;)

Upvote 0
And yes, I'd support that idea, as to why it would make sense... not in the current system, but just give a slight penalty on stamina when having your gun up and you've got an incentive to behave realistic.;)

A stamina penalty make no sense, a speed penalty does however. That would however basically make it another speed option between the jogging with weapon at the hip and sprinting.

I think making the toggle between jogging with weapon at hip and with weapon down shouldn't be automatic. That is simply annoying and the game taking away control from you. It would have to be a separate button but that might just be one movement button too much. You could make so it go down by pushing the sprint button and get it back up by pressing the fire button.

What I don't want is having to push the fire button or any button at times cause my weapon was suddenly lowered. Remember, RO doesn't got crosshairs to aim with.

Upvote 0
What I mean is that having your weapon in hipped mode now would drain your stamina over time, let's say 5-10% of sprinting. Just bind it to a key with the additional option of raising your weapon when pressing the fire button.

This way people would have their weapons lowered unless they expect immediate contact, as it would be in RL. Lowering your weapon means just that, it increases your FOV as your weapon isn't obscuring your vision which would make it a viable choice too.

Either that or make jogging as it is now drain stamina, which would make walking a viable option as well. But then again, this would *gasp* slow the game down, which would be preferable for me but not for TWI as it seems. Thinking about it, this would actually be my preferred solution. Scratch weapon lowering, I want jogging to drain stamina! This would also be a solution to the ridiculous constant jogging of everybody btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I mean is that having your weapon in hipped mode now would drain your stamina over time, let's say 5-10% of sprinting. Just bind it to a key with the additional option of raising your weapon when pressing the fire button.

This way people would have their weapons lowered unless they expect immediate contact, as it would be in RL.

That makes no sense and sounds very gamey, why would holding your weapon in hipped drain your stamina?

In real life you can lift your weapon up fast and point it by feeling. In the game you only have the visuals to give you a clue where the weapon is pointing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TBH I always saw it as a visual representation of what you'd see if the game's FOV was wide enough to simulate the FOV of actual eyes.

When you hold a weapon at your hip it isn't invisible, you still can see a good amount of it while looking ahead. In the game, having that bit (or more) visible to you makes it feel more natural IMO.

I never liked it when games like Rainbow 6 just removed the weapon from view completely. It's possible this is why they started showing the weapon in first person after R6 3.

Upvote 0
please stop calling it "hipping" or "hipped mode" at no time does your character hold the gun at his hips.

Not true, third person characters clearly hold their rifles at hip level similar to how they did in RO:Ost.
First person is a different thing.

That makes no sense and sounds very gamey, why would holding your weapon in hipped drain your stamina?

In real life you can lift your weapon up fast and point it by feeling. In the game you only have the visuals to give you a clue where the weapon is pointing.

Because you have it "raised" constantly. In 1st person it looks as if the weapon was shouldered while the 3rd person models have them at the hip.

Now, while "hipping" a weapon is absolutely unrealistic by itself, looking at it from the angle of having the weapon shouldered as it looks like in 1st person lowering ones weapon DOES make a lot of sense, since having it up all the time IS going to make your arms tired.

Generally, there's a reason why soldiers IRL walk with their weapons lowered 95% of the time, not jog around with their weapons "up" or "shouldered" 95% of the time. Apart from that, it simply looks stupid and awkward. Still, I'm fully aware that it's never going to be implemented since it would "slow down" the game too much. Who could imagine a game where people actually walk instead of constantly jog/run. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadwiick
Upvote 0
Because you have it "raised" constantly. In 1st person it looks as if the weapon was shouldered while the 3rd person models have them at the hip.

Now, while "hipping" a weapon is absolutely unrealistic by itself, looking at it from the angle of having the weapon shouldered as it looks like in 1st person lowering ones weapon DOES make a lot of sense, since having it up all the time IS going to make your arms tired.

Okay, it makes sense if you introduce a separate stamina bar and put the same drain when using iron sight..

Upvote 0