• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

personally yes it is usable now, I tried it new and uninstalled after a few minutes. It's still somewhat flaky in that the auto detect stuff often goes wack and thinks you want arma 2 ACE AO not CO. You will need someone to walk you through using it the first time ( or find a youtube vid ).

It's also the official tool of the ACE devs, so you will have updates on time, the kellies heroes server for YOMA updates usually within 24 hours, however I had an occasion where the people I wanted to play with were on the next version and Kellies was not yet up to date. ( considering there are usually weekly releases if not more often, its likely this might happen to you )

Upvote 0
Bump with the AAR of our latest Operation, be aware that the FRV and plan on the map is not correct.

2 Sec AAR – Op DRIFTWOOD 5

Deployment:

2 Section started off at the main base at Bolshevik Island. 2Sec and HQ elements then were transported by two helicopter to LZ Yeti [GR085027] and quickly deployed in an ARD, Charlie facing SE, Delta facing SW. Shortly after deploying on the ground PTE.Dejong sighted one section of infantry moving in from the West, which upon investigation turned out to be friendly forces.

Way to FRV:

2Section moved NE towards RV1 [GR088025], then further NE towards RV2 [GR090024]. After arriving at RV2 2Sec moved E towards RV3 [GR092024] and crossed the open terrain separating the two stretches of woodland. We then moved towards RV4 [GR095025] and prepared to cross the railway line at GR 096025. Upon getting eyes on the railway line it was decided that 2Sec would move approx 200m further north, beyond the curve in the railway line to GR094023 in order to avoid being spotted by enemy HMG and searchlight guard-towers located at approx GR099029. After crossing the railway line one by one and reorging at approx GR095023 2Sec continued on E towards RV5 [GR100023]. Upon arrival 2Sec then crossed the gap between RV5 and GR101025 by fireteams.
After recieving green light by HQ 2Sec then went on towards the FRV [GR101028].
2Sec quickly located enemy HMG and searchlight towers and set up their lMG gunners to cover and destroy said towers once the bombing run by 1Flight would start.

Assault:

After the initial bombing run by 1FLight Apache and fast wing assets 2Section started engaging the enemy positions at GR100030 and after destroying the entrenched enemy forces, commenced their assault, bounding by fireteam down the hill towards the rail depot. After a quick reorg at the railway line [GR100030] 2Sec established a fire base along said line, using the railway carts as cover, and engaged enemy forces counter-attacking from the SW. After scattering the enemy forces 2Sec then commenced their assault further towards the enemy main base at GR097031 which got bogged down half way through due to fierce enemy resistance. After a short reorg, we captured the first enemy entrenchments at approx GR098030.

One notable thing occurred during the assault, at various points the 1Flight was engaging targets less than 50 yards away from 2Section, with one strafing run coming close to approx. 20 yards. This was incredibly dangerous. I suggest calling off any air support directly on the objective after the ground forces started their assault.

Counter-attack:

Upon arrival and reorg in the first set of enemy entrenchments and tents strong enemy forces counterattacked from the W, SW and S. After approx 5 minutes of heavy fighting the enemy wings flanked around to our NW, N and SE, nearly encircling 2Section. CPL.Emmet was wounded and fell unconscious due to shock. LCPL.Hicks quickly assumed command and ordered a general retreat towards GR099030. After receiving first aid by PTE.Fuchs CPL.Emmet recieved consciousness again and Charlie fireteam deployed a smokescreen to enable CPL.Emmet to crawl back towards Delta fireteam. After blacking out again, he was dragged back towards HQ elements by PTE.Fuchs, who put him into the care of the platoon medic, PTE.Henna. At this point I would like to mention PTE.Baker who literally did the job of the whole Charlie fireteam alone at this time, holding off multiple flanking enemies while CPL.Emmet was being given first aid and dragged back towards the reorg point.

Meanwhile, in order to take some pressure off of Charlie fireteam, LCPL.Hicks ordered Delta fireteam forward next to Charlie again and fended off the last couple of enemy contacts. After this, both Charlie and Delta fireteams finally fell back towards GR099030 and then again back towards GR100030.

Playing in the woods:

After being sporadically engaged by light enemy fire from the SE (approx GR100035) HQ decided that 2Section was to flank East along the railway line and then flank SSW down through the woods. After multiple engagements in severe low-light conditions altering with blinding enemy flares, 2Section sustained one T4 casualty, PTE.DeJong. After a reorg at approx. GR101036 2Section aborted and returned back towards HQ at GR101031.

Extraction and ENDEX:

The KAI was, alongside Charlie and Delta fireteams, loaded into a 1Flight helicopter and flown to GR095020 where, after a quick ARD, HQ called ENDEX.

dw51.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are any of you following the development of PR:ARMA? It looks to be a nice "all in one" mod that will have a better UI and hopefully bring a vibrant PvP scene to A2.

I personally can't deal with COOP/ai anymore and have been playing just AAS, CTF and Insurgency. Unfortunately, aside from Insurgency, PvP servers are few and far between.

Upvote 0
Are any of you following the development of PR:ARMA? It looks to be a nice "all in one" mod that will have a better UI and hopefully bring a vibrant PvP scene to A2.

I personally can't deal with COOP/ai anymore and have been playing just AAS, CTF and Insurgency. Unfortunately, aside from Insurgency, PvP servers are few and far between.

Yes! Im very excited for PR:ARMA, I think that it will be a very welcome transition from the BF2 engine. From what Ive seen, The UI will be much better, they've already added the como rose, and I think that if not in 0.1, then in a later edition, they will be able to iron out any of the clunkiness issues.

I love Arma 2 but every time I play I get a little frustrated with it.Im tired of singleplayer and don't do coop (not in a clan or anything), and the lack of decent pvp just seems like a waste of potential.

Also I heard that they are trying to incorporate teamspeak into the game for 3d voip, giving only the SLs and certain kits radios:D

Upvote 0
Also I heard that they are trying to incorporate teamspeak into the game for 3d voip, giving only the SLs and certain kits radios:D

That already is the case with ACRE.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103472

Adds 3d directional voice for TS, different short range radios (which all also have different channels/frequencies to select) and multiple long range radios. ACRE also adds distortion by trees/buildings/hills, takes into account the antenna length and frequency "drop" (higher frequencies won't travel as far) and much much more.

The team is about to release a new version for a new version of TS3, both are RC's still but hey reported in that after 490 testing hours only one crash occurred, so it's MUCH more stable now. TS3 is 3.0.0-rc1-pre10 [Build: 13849], ACRE is version 1.2.4.

We've just switched to using these new versions and I'll report back on the overall stability after Wednesdays game. :)

PS: If you want to try COOP, there's a lot of decent MILSIM squads out there that will happily let you join them for one or two games to check it out. If you're interested in a international unit that portrays Brits, check out my squad at www.16aa.net :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Some quick questions:

1) Is there a distance measuring tool in the editor?

2) Anyone know the max and minimum ranges for all of the artillery pieces and mortars?

3) Is there anyway to edit a soldiers loadout from the editor?

Ad. 1
Yes, with ACE tools or addons for sure. Example below

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8B2Lb5mDDQ[/youtube]

Ad. 2 You must check manuals, online documentations or ingame itself I believe but I might be wrong.

Ad. 3 Yes, again check game manuals/tutorials.

Upvote 0
That is a RC that you refer to.
Wait and see.

[url]http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1865925&postcount=272[/URL]

Ok in FP view, not in 3rd P.
I never understood why people play a solid FPS game in a 3rd person perspective.

Eye candy I guess for the players, or at the very least, for validating purposes while developers are developing.
Unrealistic at the least...

An end to third person views in First Person Shooters, ftw.

Upvote 0
Ad. 1
Yes, with ACE tools or addons for sure. Example below

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8B2Lb5mDDQ[/youtube]

Ad. 2 You must check manuals, online documentations or ingame itself I believe but I might be wrong.

Ad. 3 Yes, again check game manuals/tutorials.

Thanks for the reply.

For the artillery, is this what I should do? (from editor):

Creating Artillery in the editor
1. Create an Artillery module and name it NOTE: THE UNIT MUST BE FAR ENOUGH FROM THE TARGET AREA AND CLOSE
ENOUGH TO IT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT – IF A TARGET IS OUT OF RANGE, THE BATTERY WILL NOT OPEN FIRE
2. Create one or more artillery units (e.g. a Static M119 US unit) – you can also use the Virtual Arty Module
3. Name that unit
4. Synchronize the module with that unit
5. Create a trigger. Use the same settings as for CAS, except name it Artillery strike
6. Write this down in the On Act. field
[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

Up until last night I was able to use artillery doing the following:

1) Putting the player as group leader, with artillery in my group set to "none".

2) Load up mission. Click F3/F6 or whatever number in my group they where.

3) Press middle mouse button and select "Fire on this position" (or something similar) while pointing to an area of land.

4) Artillery shoots and hits its the area I was pointing at.

I then changed the mission a little bit, but did not change my group nor my artillery in my group. I just added some more enemies.

Now whenever I do steps 1-4, the artillery always shoots at the position I was standing in when I called in the artillery strike... even though the area I marked is 200-700 meters away. In a mission that is 95% the same. :confused: I then reloaded the original version of the mission, and tried artillery... and the same issue. My artillery always shells me now. :(

As for a measurement tool, I mean something simple like this:

LOMACed.jpg

Just looking for something that displays the distance in meters (or km, feet, yards, whatever).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is how it works.
Found on the BI forums :
"You often receive a grid reference in the game.The grid divides the map into squares of 100x100 meters,identified by a 6-digit code.
The first 3 digits describe the horizontal position of the square;the last 3 digits give the vertical position.
If you zoom out,the map becomes divided into 1x1 kilometer squares"

So counting the grids should give you the distance between A & B.
The ruler is pretty handy I must admit.
If you need to know a distance create a way-point by holding L-shift + lmb and clicking on the area or building in the map, this will give you the distance.
Delete the way-point when done with it (hold mouse over and hit delete).

Upvote 0