• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

NEW Barrett M99 balancing thread

NEW Barrett M99 balancing thread

• Perfect

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Too Overpowerd

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Too Underpowerd

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Only Vote after Update!!!! Perfect

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Only Vote after Update!!!! Too Overpowerd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Vote after Update!!!! Too Underpowerd

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Jack-Carver

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
As the other thread is out of date and the poll does not really help on improving the balancing + people freaking out because of false facts I decided to open up a new thread.

!!!!Before Voting!!!!

I made 2 Polls in 1, so that I won't have to make a new thread after a balancing update! So for now only vote for the choices WITHOUT the "Only Vote after Update" text!!!

And keep in mind that the Rifle weights 13 blocks

Link of Modding Thread

YouTube - M99 Barrett for KF.mpg

Current Balancing:

With my previous post in mind, here is the stats and how it is affected by the Sharpshooter:

Perk - Sharpshooter
Cost - 4000

Last edited:
I'm just gonna quote myself here about the number of shots required etc:

I found the sweetspot now:

M99: 1250 damage and still a 1.1 headshotmultiplier, a 30% Fleshie resistance on Beginner, Normal and Hard, whereas a 45% resistance on Survival and HoE grants this:

* 1-shots every Clot, Stalker, Crawler, Siren and Gorefast on the body on all difficulties and number of players. This is both for Sharpshooters and Non-sharpshooters.
* 2-shots Husks and Bloats with bodyshots (Regardless of perk) on some of the higher difficulties/number of players. (Husk can still barely be one-bodyshotted on 6-man Hard, Bloat cannot)
* Scrakes can be 1- or 2-headshotted / 2-decapped by NON-sharpshooters depending on diff/player number.
* Scrakes will always be 1-headshotted by a lvl 6 sharpshooter on any difficulty and number of players. (This is balanced imo)

Fleshpounds will be:
* By a level 6 sharpshooter 1-headshotted on 6-man Beginner, Normal and Hard and on 1- or 2-man Hell on Earth and on 1/2/3-man Suicidal
* By a level 6 sharpshooter 2-headshotted on 4/5/6-man Suicidal and 3/4/5/6-man Hell on Earth.
* By a Non-sharpshooter it takes (on the higher diffs and player numbers) 4 or so headshots to DECAP the Fleshie, so it's kinda useless for Non-sharpies against Fleshpounds

Safe to say: The rifle is a Scrake-killer in any player's hand, but only a Fleshpound killer in a Sharpshooter's hand.

With these numbers either you should be able to carry a lesser sidearm (like a single Mk23) or you get more shots for the M99 as a Sharpshooter (i lean more towards the bolded & underlined part myself)

Lol, seems you added this already to the initial post. Nice :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How can we objectively balance a gun that has not been used publicly? Theory craft is good for wasting time, but is no substitute for hands on testing. For instance I don't know if it Kills fp (from actual usage)with 2xhs in HOE only or through out the game. If it's 2xhs on normal I might as well use the xbow or braindeds Hunting Rifle. When your messing around with coding it can have a effect on things not even related to it . The current buy pump shotgun get 9mm ammo bug comes to mind. The other poll by that random member was silly as they didn't have the mutator to base any of their "balancing" opinions. I would hate to see the official poll by the creator fall into the same category.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For instance I don't know if it Kills fp (from actual usage)with 2xhs in HOE only or through out the game. If it's 2xhs on normal I might as well use the xbow or braindeds Hunting Rifle.

I know you are talking about actual gameplay, but i took some awesome formulas from Scary_ghost (whom is always dead-accurate about codes and all that, so the "theorycraft" should work immediately) so i could balance the weapon and my posts says:

Fleshpounds will be:
* By a level 6 sharpshooter 1-headshotted on 6-man Beginner, Normal and Hard and on 1- or 2-man Hell on Earth and on 1/2/3-man Suicidal
* By a level 6 sharpshooter 2-headshotted on 4/5/6-man Suicidal and 3/4/5/6-man Hell on Earth.
* By a Non-sharpshooter it takes (on the higher diffs and player numbers) 4 or so headshots to DECAP the Fleshie, so it's kinda useless for Non-sharpies against Fleshpounds

Upvote 0
@Aze If the damage numbers are correct that is fine. Weapon handling, pricing, rate of fire and ammo capacity all make just as big a difference. How the average player manages theses things on various difficulties may impact how the gun is tweaked. Play testing may uncover unforeseen exploits and bugs. As an example, forum members have said the M7A3 medic rifle is Op even though it has the exact same DPS as the MP7. The precision that the rifle offers makes it seem more powerful. Those thoughts on the M7A3 (it's well balanced dammit!:D) could not be expressed without usage. Plus, I just want to blast some heads with a proper Tier3 SS weapon:).

Upvote 0
@Aze If the damage numbers are correct that is fine. Weapon handling, pricing, rate of fire and ammo capacity all make just as big a difference. How the average player manages theses things on various difficulties may impact how the gun is tweaked. Play testing may uncover unforeseen exploits and bugs. As an example, forum members have said the M7A3 medic rifle is Op even though it has the exact same DPS as the MP7. The precision that the rifle offers makes it seem more powerful. Those thoughts on the M7A3 (it's well balanced dammit!:D) could not be expressed without usage

Ah, yes ofc. But at the very least we seem to have gotten the DAMAGE right (and ammo somewhat too), and that is what i have tried as thoroughly as possible to balance. If at least THAT is done properly it is easier to adjust weapon handling, pricing, rate of fire etc after that and thus also a way higher probability of actually getting the weapon into the retail game!
Thus my big efforts on the damage- and ammo-balancing :)

Plus, I just want to blast some heads with a proper Tier3 SS weapon:)
Me too :cool:

Upvote 0
However we should also make a damage list where you'r only able to 1 shot FPs up to suicidal (not included), while still making it as usefull as possible.

Mastermind I see your concern but the other thread's problem is just that it has a wrong and outdated poll. The M99 will be released in some days but we really do not want to release it in a totally unbalanced state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Aze's numbers are looking good - Play as a sharpie and dominate everything till the ammo runs out is awesome and sounds overpowered, but when you take into account the fact that the SS is gonna be running around with a sidearm most of the time and only pulling this thing out for the big guys it balances. The reload/chambering anims are gonna be long and the zeds are fast, so unless there is a crack team behind the guy with this gun, no amount of power is gonna save him. So the calculated damage by Aze is good, but the real kicker is the reload/carry weight. If this were braindead's hunting rifle, it'd be different due to the relatively quick fire rate, but this rifle (i feel like rifle doesn't cut it - personnel cannon sounds better :p) is all about getting the most out of a single shot, like the upgraded crossbow.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Seeing as how this isn't in the game...this belongs in the modding section...
It will maybe get releaesed today or you mean fully implemented? Well I just want to get some feedback to make this weapon balanced and fun to use (Yeah also for you).
So there are 2 things you can do:
1.) Help
2.) Try to lock this thread.

This thread is just about balancing... Nothing else. So it's not really about modding or so.
It's just a fact that this is one of the most difficult weapons to balance and so I thought you guys could help here.
Thanks for the feedback!
Oh I did not vote for anything here.
To the test map!

Good idea :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This Barrett M99 gets:

srope.png

Upvote 0