• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO used to be a game for men.

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I'll skip all the stuff I really like about RO2 for now -- there's plenty to like.

Just been playing with the guys in my clan and here are some observations in no particular order.

The pace is too fast and the game no longer has the chat and comms that made it easy to work as a team. We used to be able to play for hours since the game offered rest in between action. That is gone now. Its nearly all fast action, and no time to group up with our squad, coordinate offense and defense, and a side effect of that is that the best part, working with your friends, is gone. Also its physically and mentally tiring. There are plenty of games with guns, but only one with the culture of RO.

We used to tell new players to Ostfront that Rambo's don't survive, you have to work as a team to win a map. That is no longer the case.

isn't due to the game being new -- we've been playing together in RO for years, some of us including myself since the Unreal mod days, and also noticing it with the other guys on our server, the long time clans experienced players are here too. Its the game design, not the players.

Ostfront was mostly a game for adults. Kids could play and have a good time too. I understand the business requirement to appeal to a broad audience, but if its set up for twitchy 12 yr olds, then its not for us. There is already BF and COD and the other run-and-gun games. Let them have that kiddy market. Differentiate your product and preserve what made it great.

Well, though RO2 is slightly faster paced, honestly Im enjoying the hell out of the game. It is so intense and fun, and imo, still VERY realistic. its not even close to cod where everyone is just mixed up together. There is still 2 very clear sides, and troops fight along side each other instead of being all over the place. It kind of gives that realistic feeling. Plus the maps in this game are VERY well designed imo, even better than maps of RO1. The only grudge of mine is all the autos/semis running around the map, but that isnt at all a game breaker. So far, im LOVIN this game. Just try to enjoy it. What do u want TWI to do, release the same RO1 over and over again? This game is different, and i like it.

Reactions: Vyllis and Stormer
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but this sounds more like a complaint from senile old people than "men".

This game is too fast? Have you played old school Unreal Tournament or Quake series? And how slow would the characters in this game have to run?

Yeah I played those a few times, and that's exactly why I didn't KEEP playing them, instead playing RO for years.

Upvote 0
I have seen RO1-vet clans work in very organized fireteams and be DAMNED hard to stop.

What's stopping you and your buddies from using correct tactics to defeat 12 year-olds? :p

In all seriousness the game does play very fast; but while the rest between rounds could be a bit longer, I don't think the characters need to physically move slower.

What the real "problem" here is is that the community for RO2 today is much larger than RO:OST probably ever was, and certainly larger than it has been for years. What used to be a small group of friends has expanded into a mirror of the online gaming universe. A depressing side-effect is that we've handed out more bans on our server for immature behavior in less than 3 weeks of playing this game than we ever have in Team Fortress 2 (believe it or not)!

Before calling the game broken, seek out a more organized atmosphere to play in. Find a group of people (whether a "realism clan" or just a group of online buddies) to play scheduled matches against another well-organized group. Don't condemn the game based on public play within a week of its release, that's just jumping to conclusions too soon. Before long, the "twitchy 12 year-olds" will have moved on to another title, or developed a set of skills better-suited to a game like this.

Once that happens, it won't be nearly as effective to run-and-gun as it is now. Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
Before calling the game broken, seek out a more organized atmosphere to play in. Find a group of people (whether a "realism clan" or just a group of online buddies) to play scheduled matches against another well-organized group. Don't condemn the game based on public play within a week of its release, that's just jumping to conclusions too soon. Before long, the "twitchy 12 year-olds" will have moved on to another title, or developed a set of skills better-suited to a game like this.

I thought I said in the original post, its not the players, we have a "realism" server and lots of the guys on it are experienced playrs. Its not the players, its the mechanics.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
Both the original poster and other have valid and thorough points.

Yes, the current business model and economy standard forces companies to cater to what I'll call casuals because that is where the money is. It's as simple as that (and not getting any better but thats for politics thread) (just sneezed while typing this so that means what I am trying to say is the truth. Grandma told me thats what happens when you think of something and you sneeze :))

I do think however that auto team/squad assignment is random and could use a polish. It just feels lacking like "hey ok cool you join server heres a team"

Solution would be to find a clan server like some of the above posters said and coordinate your strats and tactics or sometimes get lucky and have random players follow your orders. Truth be told, simply picking up Squad Leader and coordinating via mic actualy does work if you have competent random players. I speak from todays experience as camper germans just could not advance at all. But yeah you need to get lucky and find a server where people listen to you and that could be hard because of the catered crowd for money making making this more or less gray area ;/

Upvote 0
I think part of what you might be feeling is the environments we fight in with RO2 as opposed to ROOST. HoS is after all based on the battles in and surrounding Stalingrad. Lots of close fighting, which is historically fast and brutal action in any age of warfare. On the other hand ROOST had a lot of maps that had further range of engagement, offering more flanking and maneuver opportunities, a more strategically paced approach over Stalingrad's highly tactical nature.

Upvote 0
In all seriousness the game does play very fast; but while the rest between rounds could be a bit longer, I don't think the characters need to physically move slower.

When I said there was no rest between action I wasn't referring to the time between rounds, I meant that the pace of the game action itself was more like a good piece of music -- with passages of quiet, building in intensity, with contrast between the different parts. Now its mostly loud and fast, but no contrast and no rest.

Upvote 0
When I said there was no rest between action I wasn't referring to the time between rounds, I meant that the pace of the game action itself was more like a good piece of music -- with passages of quiet, building in intensity, with contrast between the different parts. Now its mostly loud and fast, but no contrast and no rest.

I understand. I think as more of the critical bugs and problems are ironed out and all the server-side customization features are implemented in the coming weeks the game can only get better.

At the very least I can't imagine why the modding community this game is sure to develop won't be able to deliver mods or mutators to extend the lockdown times. Already there's options in the WebAdmin (not sure if they are working or not yet) to totally disable the round times and increase reinforcements so maps like Fallen Fighters can have nearly endless rounds.

Just give the game and it's players, both old and young, veteran and green, time to gel. It's entering it's first weekend, many people haven't even had a chance to play yet! :cool: :D

Upvote 0
I just played my first hour since playing a LOT of hours in the beta ( 24 hrs ).

Now I have to say I do somewhat agree with you, to a point. Its still RO but the original mix of pace, weapon numbers, etc has been botched. I just played a round with more mkb's then k98's. 1 mkb and I dont care, ~9 of them running around ON A HARDCORE SERVER?!

I'm quite sure that TWI will listen to people here on the forums when it comes to tweaking the full realism level, perhaps they want to have a different weapon numbering ballance for the normal difficulty.

Upvote 0