• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Trouble With Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Hi! You may remember me from threads such as "Your Favourite Film?" Or the "Family Tree?"

Back on track. So I just watched this program "The Trouble With Atheism" which i conclude to be very interesting:cool:
Basically what it's saying is ok religion screws up a lot but the ignorance of atheists and their disability to see the faults with their own ideas makes everything a whole lot worse. I mean, don't get me wrong , i'm not at all religious nor i am an atheist ; I am open to any idea and will approach it in an open-mided fashion which atheists and religious people should do and because they dont they create , as this program states, problems in our current society.
We cannot prove nor can we disprove god no more than we can unicorns or elves. So we should remain open-minded and not insult other people's ideas but consider no matter how "off the wall" they may seem. Due to the lack of this today we have conflicts, wars and hatred because people , atheists and religious people , are ignorant , selfish and very arrogant.

Do you agree ? disagree?

Discuss.

p.s I didnt make a really long post on "the origin of species" as nobody would read my post properly.Thinking ahead eh? ehhhhhh? ehhhhhhhhhh? :p

banplzpi8.gif

:p

Upvote 0
Oh man I would so like to properly respond to this, if this thread lives long enough I will edit this post with my proper response. For now... In before lock. You just can't have a discussion like this on these particular forums because its banned and it always leads to trouble (not saying the OP would be causing it, his post stayed as neutral as possible, its the other people who will do the trouble making). While I myself would like to, the podium section of a forum for a game just isn't the appropriate place.

Upvote 0
in popes office, vatican. the phone rings..

"yeah, the pope himselfe speaking"
"this is god, i have good and bad news for you"
"give me the good ones first"
"the disputes have an end, im going to connect all curches to one"
"and the bad ones?"
"im calling from salt lake city"

how is this bad news? MORE WIVES FOR EVERYONE!

Upvote 0
Just watched the same program. Interesting, but I disagree when he started saying that a world without religion could not have morals. What utter tosh.

a world with out religion therefore beleives evolution whereas you are here for no reason, and have no purpose in life, if you wish to kill somone, why not? religions such as christianity state that you will be judged by God after you die, which is a great motivator to not do such things. a world without religions really would be without morals, the western world dropped christianity from schools a while back, now we are questioning the morals of marriage and wether it really has to be a man and a women, why not 2 guys? you see releigions such as christianity are the base of the governmental system we have today, however that influence is being removed, and the next generation of people are growing up with less and less morals. its not utter tosh man, its a sad fact, people like to expore their boundaries, without them they will go as far as they can.

Upvote 0
Eeh, Jono, it sounds to me like you're an atheist. "Atheism" is lack of theism -- i.e. not actively believing in a god or gods. It doesn't have to be active disbelief.

Anyway, religion is irrational, illogical, and really should have no place in modern society. Religion does cause problems.

Religious beliefs are essentially delusions. People like George Bush who say they "talk to God" should be treated similarly to paranoid schizophrenics.

Upvote 0
a world with out religion therefore beleives evolution whereas you are here for no reason, and have no purpose in life, if you wish to kill somone, why not? religions such as christianity state that you will be judged by God after you die, which is a great motivator to not do such things. a world without religions really would be without morals, the western world dropped christianity from schools a while back, now we are questioning the morals of marriage and wether it really has to be a man and a women, why not 2 guys? you see releigions such as christianity are the base of the governmental system we have today, however that influence is being removed, and the next generation of people are growing up with less and less morals. its not utter tosh man, its a sad fact, people like to expore their boundaries, without them they will go as far as they can.

I am an atheist. I Do not beleive in God. I also, do not go out raping, pillaging, killing, just because I do no have a fear of God. So your argument sort of falls flat on it's face there, doesn't it?

Let's not forget that its the same Christian "morals" which has led to the killing of millions in the name of God. Crusades, anyone?

Sorry, but I simply do not and cannot believe in the "supreme being", I don't need the archaic dogmatic way of life, the so called "moral" teachings, and neither do I need a purpose in life. I was born, I live, I will die. I don't have a meaning of life. As such, I will enjoy it while I can, through love of friends and family and simply existing. I will not spend my life pandering to some dogmatic religion which does nothing but tries to control me using "God" as a qualifier - "If you don't do what we say, God will punish you!!". I see. And who, exactly, made you the spokesperson for God? God himself? Proof? Oh, your word. Yeah, thats fine, I believe you. Ill get back to praying for forgiveness then, your holiness :-/

Religion is a pointless, archaic and dogmatic method of control. I cant remmber who said it but "Christianity is the world's longest running practical joke" seems to sum it up nicely. About the only religion I can see any worth to is perhaps buddhism, which, from what I understand is a lot less dogmatic and simply promotes a path to self-enlightenment.

Of course, if you want to believe in God, thats fine. Some people need something to believe in, a "faith" if you will. But when I look at the news and I see more examples of Islamic fundamentalism and killings in the name of God, suicide bombers taking out hordes of innocent people because some nut job convinced them that Allah said it would be a good idea, I can't help thinking the world would be a far better place without ideals which belong to the 12th century.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.