• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New mod ideas.

otester

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006
Once DH mod is finished, I wish to brake off and make a mod that will be compatible with UE2.5 & UE3 (UE = Unreal Engine). So even if it takes a while to finish, it will be compatible with the next engine.

Could become Darkest Hour: <Insert name>, but who knows...

My idea was to make a mod with all current modern tanks and weapons, 2 teams, West & East, your selection of class/weapons defines the side, country you play for. It may also be possible to stick a bit of RPG in there, for example, each level unlocks things or different countries, or even better characteristics: aim, reload time, stamina, strength. Since with more experience you gain better skills but not so much you become inhuman, this is important to keep the game balanced. I believe UE2.5 will be a good base for this mod because of the upto 4km distance which will be great for tank combat.

Possible development stages:

1. Planning: listing everything that needs to be included in game.
2. Everyone in dev team works towards getting 1 weapon/vehicle of each type for each side into the game and a map.
3. Eliminate bugs.
4. Release public version.
5. Add rest of weapons/vehicles.
6. Try and implement RPG features.

West consisting of (in order of do-ability:

France
Germany
Israel
United KingdomUSA

East consisting of (in order of do-ability:

China
Iran
Russia
Pakistan/India
Ukraine

At the moment I've been working on a Leopard 2A4:

I would appreciate feedback from the community and any devs with interest and any that will be once they finish any current mods they have. :)

Last edited:
Well as you know I like the sound of this idea but to be honest i'm more keen on the 60s-70 era- with phaps some postwar armour thrown in
Asides from involving many of my favourite tanks (cheif leopard t-10), I like the idea of this period because..

Although a lot of these tanks had gun stabilisers and loading aids- the targeting was not computerised - engagements would be fast and furious but still requiring skill. ( i appreciate i may get put straight on the level of automation present of these tanks)

Unlike today where clashes between equal armour is unlikely - the tanks of those days were pretty evenly matched- the soviets probably had the edge (which i dont think would be a bad thing anyway) , but you could always match latest nato armour with slightly out of date eastern block kit for parity.

These tanks had menacing reputations but rarely got the chance to prove themselves against each other - at least not with the fully trained crews of thier origional owners. The posibility to simulate their engagment would be facinating.

It was a period of high tension when there was at times the threat of all out mass tank warfare in europe - hypothetical scenarios where it all kicked off would be awesome. You could also have Battle of Golan Heights for example.

Outside OFP's custom contect , this would be pretty origional.

I like your idea for a full mod, but personaly I would be happy with a handfull of tanks per side - add uniforms, sidearms a few static meshes (period cars and the like- not much really) and bundle all this with purpose build maps and your good to go. The mod could be accesable from the browser for simplicity.
If it catches on you could add infantry, rifles, law/rpg and APCs , BMPs whatever, and then think of developing it to run independantly of Ro and add new features.

Upvote 0
Well as you know I like the sound of this idea but to be honest i'm more keen on the 60s-70 era- with phaps some postwar armour thrown in
Asides from involving many of my favourite tanks (cheif leopard t-10), I like the idea of this period because..

Although a lot of these tanks had gun stabilisers and loading aids- the targeting was not computerised - engagements would be fast and furious but still requiring skill. ( i appreciate i may get put straight on the level of automation present of these tanks)

Unlike today where clashes between equal armour is unlikely - the tanks of those days were pretty evenly matched- the soviets probably had the edge (which i dont think would be a bad thing anyway) , but you could always match latest nato armour with slightly out of date eastern block kit for parity.

These tanks had menacing reputations but rarely got the chance to prove themselves against each other - at least not with the fully trained crews of thier origional owners. The posibility to simulate their engagment would be facinating.

It was a period of high tension when there was at times the threat of all out mass tank warfare in europe - hypothetical scenarios where it all kicked off would be awesome. You could also have Battle of Golan Heights for example.

Outside OFP's custom contect , this would be pretty origional.

I like your idea for a full mod, but personaly I would be happy with a handfull of tanks per side - add uniforms, sidearms a few static meshes (period cars and the like- not much really) and bundle all this with purpose build maps and your good to go. The mod could be accesable from the browser for simplicity.
If it catches on you could add infantry, rifles, law/rpg and APCs , BMPs whatever, and then think of developing it to run independantly of Ro and add new features.

I see your point sounds even better :)

Americans: M60
British: Chieftain
Russian: T-64

IIRC they all have thermal sights, early ones, like modern tanks, would that still be a problem?

You could go back earlier and have:

Americas: M48
British: Centurion
Russia: T-55

Upvote 0
Actually, I also would like to see a Cold-war-scenario.
And I would also tend to let it play in the early or maybe even late 70th.
Good, I also would like to see the modern tanks and equipment in a mod - but this can be done later, in another mod, maybe for TW's next UE3.0-game.
So, I would suggest you concentrate on the european scenario, thus involving mainly the armies of Germany and the USA, figthing against soviet troops(mixed from all soviet countries, maybe here and there a difference).
Of course, implementation of GB and France would be great. But in the beginning, you maybe should focus on the main combattants.
The first maps should lie in an area around the German-Polish border and in Germany, maybe also(in case of a fictional great offensive of the western forces) some in Poland.
Later, you still can add maps in Frace, Italy, Greece, maybe even GB or the USA(soviet paratroopers?).
The armament should be - for the beginning - from the late 60th and early 70th. Later, more modern equipment could be added.
A little try:
USA:
Vehicles:
-M60A1(MBT)
-M113A1(ATC)
-M551 Sheridan(ReconTank)
-maybe, for ground support, the M42A1 Duster
-maybe also the M151A2 MUTT as recon-vehicle
Weapons:
-M16A1(Assault Rifle)
-XM-177E1 as weapon for tank crews/special units(maybe use a SMG instead)
-M1911A1(pistol)
-M14(DMR)
-M72 LAW or maybe the older Bazooka as AT-weapon
-M67(handgrenade)
Germany:
Vehicles:
-Leopard 1 A1(MBT)
-M113(ATC)
-Sch

Upvote 0
Sounds good, there's an aweful lot to get in game, what would be best way of doing it?

Make 1 of each then add another 1 of each until everything is done so as to not take to long?
At first, you should wait - you would need a bunch of guys to get to work. Maybe you even should wait until one of the todays modding teams has some resources free - or finished it's mod.
Maybe you should even wait longer - for TW's UE3.0-game.
Well, for sure you shouldn't simply start making this and that - focus on two armies and start with a part of them, I would suggest the infantry. First release would so maybe feature the German and Soviet infantry, fighting on two or three maps against each other. Then, you could start implementing a new army or finish the existing ones(means: Vehicles and tank maps).

Oh, yes: And the very first thing you would have to do is of course the planning: What comes in, what not. When does it play, wehre does it play. Et cetera...

Upvote 0
At first, you should wait - you would need a bunch of guys to get to work. Maybe you even should wait until one of the todays modding teams has some resources free - or finished it's mod.
Maybe you should even wait longer - for TW's UE3.0-game.
Well, for sure you shouldn't simply start making this and that - focus on two armies and start with a part of them, I would suggest the infantry. First release would so maybe feature the German and Soviet infantry, fighting on two or three maps against each other. Then, you could start implementing a new army or finish the existing ones(means: Vehicles and tank maps).

Oh, yes: And the very first thing you would have to do is of course the planning: What comes in, what not. When does it play, wehre does it play. Et cetera...

Hmmm sounds like a plan.

Upvote 0
thermal imaging would be fine - its just the later additions of laser rangefinders and computer target aquisition i personally wouldn't be too keen on.

I recon first thing is to look at making some of these....
centurion, chieftain
m48, m60
Leopard 1
t-10, t54/55, t62, t64/72
...and giving them 2-3 large open maps to play on.

Later think of adding from conqueror, AMX-30 , m41 walker, m103 heavy, M551 sheridan, is3 ASU 85 , 433 abbott, scorpion/ scimiter, ikv 91 or even merkava

Centurion is the best early counter to soviet designs - I think you need that in from the offs. Chieftain also, along with the Leopard, was believed capable of competing well with the soviet armour. But I'm probably biased cos along with the Conqueror it's the probably the best looking thing that ever had tracks.
So I would be tempted to have the British in from the start, as personally i find their armour, along with the excellent leopard, more appealing than the Pershing/Patton family.

So thats it really- kick off by simply making the tanks you want then the maps. Maps would be presented as dated scenarios with loadouts to match. You could imagine it like a wargame simulation- or simply an alternate reality.

European terrain could be barren with many urbans areas leveled, and bases and airstrips destroyed- just pure tanking territory.Some could even be post nuclear.
But the beauty of it is that because it's all hypothetical you could create battles with a variety of kit used by many countries on almost any terrain.

I promised myself I'd model a tank or 2 one day - I'm a very busy right now with another project and as i write many WW2 models i'd like to attempt have already been made or are in the pipeline.
Thou I wonder if i'lll every get round to it , i'd find prospect of making a Chief,Conq, is3 or t-10 , assuming they would get used, a very good motivation in the future.

I would definately showcase this idea within Ro/ unreal 2.5 however - its an reletivly easy way to showcase your ideas and pool resorces.

Upvote 0
Laser range finders came before thermals IIRC.

That supprises me- but the books i have on modern tanks are old, giving the impression laser rangefinders are a new addition, whilst infra-red searchlights were around for a while. I have informative but not technical (eg new vangard) reading matter, that doesn't date or fully list varients.
I know the Chieftain used to have a .5" ranging MG- but i dont know the date this was replaced by the laser.
Hmmm - anyway as i said i would personally prefer less targeting aids, in the same way i find Il2 combat more fun than the 'fire and forget' of F22 or whatever. But you can always make tanks of different eras with different capabilities - that would be part of the fun.

Upvote 0
That supprises me- but the books i have on modern tanks are old, giving the impression laser rangefinders are a new addition, whilst infra-red searchlights were around for a while. I have informative but not technical (eg new vangard) reading matter, that doesn't date or fully list varients.
I know the Chieftain used to have a .5" ranging MG- but i dont know the date this was replaced by the laser.
Hmmm - anyway as i said i would personally prefer less targeting aids, in the same way i find Il2 combat more fun than the 'fire and forget' of F22 or whatever. But you can always make tanks of different eras with different capabilities - that would be part of the fun.

If the terrain is like that of England it would be quite challenging, also remember that modern tank warfare isn't necessarily 1 shot kills.

Also if you like IL2, check out LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat).

Upvote 0
A mod like this would be so awesome for this game. I would love to see all the cold war era tanks and even before.
Id have to say as long as either the T54/55 or T62 make it in I'd be a more then happy fella, they are my favorite for MBT's.

Black Sand studios for BF2 mods has both T55 and T62 models made and textured, perhaps they could be ported over?, just like the Leo 2 ported from OPK mod from BF2.

You could name it Darkest Hour: Cold Front or something along that line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A mod like this would be so awesome for this game. I would love to see all the cold war era tanks and even before.
Id have to say as long as either the T54/55 or T62 make it in I'd be a more then happy fella, they are my favorite for MBT's.

Black Sand studios for BF2 mods has both T55 and T62 models made and textured, perhaps they could be ported over?, just like the Leo 2 ported from OPK mod from BF2.

You could name it Darkest Hour: Cold Front or something along that line.

So it would be? :

T-55
T-62
M-60
Chieftain

Upvote 0
So it would be? :

T-55
T-62
M-60
Chieftain

Yes I would have to say that would be a good mix for starters. T-62 and the M60 I think would have a good slug fest with each other.

On another note Does anyone know if there are still any SU100's in service?.
I know the serbs were using them back in the 90's I don't know if they have all been retired or blown up yet.

EDIT: The Walker Bulldog would be a beauty too see sometime also. Could probably use some of the M60 model But im not sure, someone else who is more of an expert would know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I would have to say that would be a good mix for starters.

On another note Does anyone know if there are still any SU100's in service?.
I know the serbs were using them back in the 90's I don't know if they have all been retired or blown up yet.

EDIT: The Walker Bulldog would be a beauty too see sometime also. Could probably use some of the M60 model.

I was thinking making infantry first would be best, then think about tanks :). Something like:

AK-47
SLR (British FAL variant)
M16A1

Upvote 0
I was thinking making infantry first would be best, then think about tanks :). Something like:

AK-47
SLR (British FAL variant)
M16A1
Yeah, I would agree to the idea to start with the infantry - it is just more appealing to many players. Only tank maps for the start would be a bit boring, isn't it?
But what I would see a bit different: You always want to place the Soviets, the AMericans and the British - but wouldn't make it much more sense, to start with the Germans instead of the British?
Most soviet (not-nuclear) attack planes began with a strike through Germany, started from Poland and/or the DDR(should be GDR in English).
So, it would make much more sense - atleast in my eyes - to start with German and American infantry for the allies instead of the combination of British and American infantry.
Of course, they would have fought, too - but the first to fight would have been the Bundeswehr in Germany.

And for the high-poly-question: Of course, I do not know what TW is really doing ATM - but I think that it will take not so much time until we see their new game as it would be enough to only make this mod - when it should ever be realized - for current RO. So, I do not really know if this is possible - but I would suggest to make high-poly-modles and to decrease their poly-amount for the first edition of the mod for current RO, so that you later could hopefully able to make a port to TW's next game much easier and faster.

Upvote 0
I suppose you could have West German forces with G3 and East German forces with AK47. Later introduce American/British tankers and Soviet tankers to back West/East German forces up.
Yes, that is much more near to what I see in my imagination...
But I have a question: Is it possible to integrate more than two sides?
Of course, it would be possible to simply put all allies and all soviets together in two big teams and let the mapper decide if he wants the players to run around in West-German/American/British/Russian/East-German uniforms, but there could be one problem: I do not know if it is possible to give the same faction more than one set of voice commands - and it would be a bit disturbing to see American soldiers screaming German commands(or East-German soldiers screaming russian commands).

Upvote 0