• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map of the Week (+Reviews)

Review #3: Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

Review #3: Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive

Now time for a map that, although made by well known authors, is new enough and good enough for me to make an exception (when the offer came, I couldn't resist). And this one has infinite punnage!

KF-Arcade-Disco by NoGlory and KingShinobi

Forum Page: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=50599
Download: http://uploaded.to/file/8wxhik
Disco6.jpg

Map Basics:
Size: Moderate. The main areas are not so large, but the rooms-and-halls area can be rather large.
Difficulty: Moderate. Pretty hard, but easily manageable

Atmosphere/Visuals: This map is in steady supply of hilarity and a very kick-*** feeling. Altogether, it is a map that will astonish you with it's design, reel you in with its atmosphere, and then make you laugh with its awesome-but-hilarious feel. And, like any good map, each area is unique. No monotony here! You can try stayin' alive at the mini-bar, or have a disco inferno with that flamethrower on the dance (or should I say "Killing") floor. There are suprises at every turn, and you can expect all the little classic Shinobi easter eggs included. Altogether, an A+ work!

Warning for those on Low graphics.
The lighting seriously has problems on lower settings, but at "medium" and above, it runs perfectly.

Gameplay: This matches it's visual grooviness (lol), like any map should. With each new, visually exciting and variant room, comes exciting and variant gameplay. The map's curving corridors and odd setups also allows for unique gameplay, forcing your team to adjust to these new layouts.

Negatives: Gets old disco music stuck in my head xD

More Screens
Spoiler!

Verdict: I love this map thouroughly. Hell, if TWI wants a non-serious map, I'd immediatley point to this. It will hopefully be whitelisted soon, but until then, I'd check out the perk replacement mod in the modding section. I know this will probably be popular real soon, but I can't say I'm going to be the cause; this map alone will attract the masses (I didn't start the fire...=P)

Last edited:
Reactions: rckrdude
Upvote 0
This is great timur and want to say thanks for doing this. I really hope you continue with it. I say that because the only maps I have are the ones I have seen screenshots of, liked the looks of and downloaded. Other than that and since I am picky, I really don't like the idea of just downloading zips of maps only to find they're not that good or, should I say, to my liking.

Thanks to you I was able to see how good that Habour map looked and instantly downloaded it. What a map!

Keep up the great work!

Upvote 0
This is great timur and want to say thanks for doing this. I really hope you continue with it. I say that because the only maps I have are the ones I have seen screenshots of, liked the looks of and downloaded. Other than that and since I am picky, I really don't like the idea of just downloading zips of maps only to find they're not that good or, should I say, to my liking.

Thanks to you I was able to see how good that Habour map looked and instantly downloaded it. What a map!

Keep up the great work!

This is exactly why I made this: because I knew that I for one hated having to download mass map files that slowed my comp and generally having to scum through the overwhelming number of maps. I'm glad that people are able to use this thread for what it was made for then!

I'm currently torn between a few at the moment, but Review #4 should be on its way if I can decide which map to choose (its difficult to choose between many great maps, not to mention its difficult to tell if said map is more popular than I know of.)

Upvote 0
Well if you are looking for more people to test with you I would be down. Always interested in a change of pace, and new environments fall under that category. I will toss you an invite on steam.

aye, right now I just need a server willing to help me out; I can never have too many testers, but I am lacking any kind of server to do tests on (as of right now, it is trying to momentarily hijack servers that run it by chance, or mostly just solo)

Upvote 0

This is exactly why I made this: because I knew that I for one hated having to download mass map files that slowed my comp and generally having to scum through the overwhelming number of maps. I'm glad that people are able to use this thread for what it was made for then!

I'm currently torn between a few at the moment, but Review #4 should be on its way if I can decide which map to choose (its difficult to choose between many great maps, not to mention its difficult to tell if said map is more popular than I know of.)

Looking forward to the next, timur!
Oh and I also vote for KF-Swamp for a feature :D

Upvote 0
Review #4: Feeling Constricted

Review #4: Feeling Constricted

I'm not dead yet!

KF-Constriction by Swanky

Forum Page: [URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43229&highlight=kf-constriction[/URL]

Direct Download: http://excea.ex.funpic.de/KF-Constriction_V105.zip

Constriction1.jpg

Map Basics:
Size: Pretty good altogether...sometimes it feels big, sometimes it feels small
Difficulty: Moderate, but not too hard. This is no easy map, that's for sure, but you won't be pounding your keyboard in frustration

Atmoshpere/Visuals: Altogether, I consider it excellently done, specifically the lighting. The atmosphere as a whole works well, and, like any good map, works seamlessly between the areas while still varying and keeping it different between each area. This one manages to indeed, with a setting inside this ancient manor/castle/thing, from the wine cellar to the attic. It isn't a "scare" map (those uber-eerie maps capable of freaking people out), but it certainly has a certain amount of eerieness and coolness on top. Ultimately, while not as per se specialized as Disco or Origins, Constriction manages a good balance that really suits it well, and the game well to.

Also, is it just me, or do some areas feel like Amnesia: Dark Descent? Probably the style and lighting, but if you see any tinderboxes, let me know.

Gameplay: This map is in gameplay what it is in visuals; this is a balanced map, which plays very, very well. It manages to really place the format and spawns well, and is really quite fun to play. This works well solo or team play of any size, with a lot of different varied spots to choose from. However, I will admit, there are certain areas that will usually attract people, these are not always the best. But, all in all, I personally loved the gameplay here, so that was the biggest draw for me.

Negatives: Oh god, I always turn the wrong way and end up trapped in the bedrooms xD

More Screens:
Spoiler!

Verdict: This is the kind of map that really makes for a solid game every time. It's the sort of bread-and-butter of mapping, if somehow you made that bread declicious and that butter divine. All in all, the kind of thing for regular games and a great addition to any server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Huh, really unexpected to see this here, thanks a lot! :)
Just wait for the project I am working on right now, you will be flattened (by the mass of ZEDs, that is). Unfortunatly, this will stay in WIP forums for like months or so. :(

€ Maybe you should also point out, that there were certain problem with this map, some of which I am personally unhappy with, and this lead to the release of multiple versions. The latest playable AND whitelisted is V1.05, downloadable here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=592193&postcount=14

Last edited:
Upvote 0
#5: Does a Fleshpound travel faster than an unladen swallow?

#5: Does a Fleshpound travel faster than an unladen swallow?

Still not, dead yet! It's fine, really!

KF-Fabulous by Murphy

Forum Page (may be in Beta section, but its whitelisted): [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=44652&highlight=kf-fabulous[/URL]

Direct Download: [url]http://www.filefront.com/17294310/KF-Fabulousv5.rar[/URL]

Fabulous5.jpg

Map Basics:
Size: Smaller
Difficulty: Once again, pretty Moderate

Atmosphere/Visuals: This map, at least to me, is a work of art. No two areas of the map are alike, and every bit is magnificent. The skybox and mountains are just awestriking eyecandy, the windmill is a great peice (and actually part of the map, not an off-map mesh), and altogether I'm loving it. It's got a unique feeling I haven't gotten from another map, and combines just breathtaking beauty with the odd hilarity of zombies in Fable's Albion, along with just being awesome. The areas flow well together, and somehow the odd setting only adds to the fun of it.

For Albion!!!!

Gameplay: This little map makes every foot count, just like with the visuals, adding a different experience wherever you go. The format and spawns really can be unique, so it's difficult to every get bored of it. And the small size lets you really explore it and feel as if you were plumbing its secrets, with hidden treasure chests and some areas off of the main route of the map that you'll be glad you didn't miss. Whether you be a casual or a pro, you will love the gameplay as much as you loved the visuals. Also, the spawns, pathing, and altogether quality of the map is top notch, so it really stands out as something of quality. Your dark minions of evil will never triumph over my firebug magic! XD

Negatives: The usual problems of custom maps seem to be absent here, so I'm left grasping at straws...hmm. I guess my only problem was that I kept breaking into songs from "Man of La Mancha" every time I saw the windmill, now I can't stop humming them XD.

More Screens:
Spoiler!

Verdict: HUZZAH! Fellow knights, prepare thou'st swords and follow in the charge! (aka, I loved it)

Upvote 0