• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Germans blend in in the maps too well...

red army

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
Ok. I dont know if its just me but it seems like the Germans are really hard to spot on some of the maps, as their uniform colour just happens to fit very well (like on Fallen Heroes, the shadows of the buildings there have a bluish tint like that of German uniform). I'd sometimes not see a German extremely close to me and engage an enemy thats even further, alerting the German closer to me and he shoots. Whenever i play as German though, I easily spot Soviets in their yellow uniforms...and on snowy maps, the white uniforms of the SOviets that were supposedly supposed to give them an advantage shine/gleam in the sun like lightbulbs, making Soviet troops even in white winter uniforms very easy to spot. It may just be me though since i have a ati radeon 5570 and can only play on medium settings with 15-20 fps...what do you guys think

PS does anyone know why the hell sometimes when i shoot my rifle (happens mostly with SVT) the first shot doesnt fire and my rifle just clicks (even tho i havent even fired a single shot since spawning). I'd have to click multiple times for it to finally fire and this has caused me multiple loss of kills/deaths. very frustrating

Last edited:
I also have this impression. I guess the Allies have some advantage in the winter only if they put themselves so that their background is white (snow) also. The Axis stand out easily when crawling in the white snow of the central Fallen Heroes plaza, if seen from above.
I find that Soviets in their white uniforms in the snow are also easy to spot, because their hats are different color and the snow is in the sun/moonlight (depending on map), so the soviet uniforms for whatever reason shine really brightly that u can see it gleaming from across the map...The darker turquoise uniforms of the Germans dont really shine/glow in the light, and in dark spots are completely invisible...Especially in shadows, on night maps like Red October, and in dark buildings. The apartments on the flanks of the barracks for one is a perfect hiding spot for Germans. Unless u look directly at them, u wont see them popping their heads up and down shooting thru peripheral vision unlike u would with Soviets.

Upvote 0
This.

Grey is one of the best color for urban camouflage and due to realism this is one advantage that Axis will have in this game.
Well white is the best color for camouflage in snowy environments like FallenHeroes...However the Soviets arent really getting that advantage because their white uniforms shine so brightly in the sun while on the white snow. Where the sun doesnt shine (in shadows) on that map, the shadows are bluish...and Germans in there are impossible to spot unless ur looking DIRECTLY at him.

Upvote 0
I find that Soviets in their white uniforms in the snow are also easy to spot, because their hats are different color and the snow is in the sun/moonlight (depending on map), so the soviet uniforms for whatever reason shine really brightly that u can see it gleaming from across the map...The darker turquoise uniforms of the Germans dont really shine/glow in the light, and in dark spots are completely invisible...Especially in shadows, on night maps like Red October, and in dark buildings. The apartments on the flanks of the barracks for one is a perfect hiding spot for Germans. Unless u look directly at them, u wont see them popping their heads up and down shooting thru peripheral vision unlike u would with Soviets.
If this is the case, then perhaps the renderer needs some tweaking. In reality, white (not 100% freshly washed titanium-oxide white, but whitish grey) cloth looks pretty similar to white snow in any light.

Upvote 0
The main problem with this in game is that this slight advantage of the Germans means that most skilled players flock to the German side so the teams are usually stacked against the soviets, turning into a huge advantage because now the soviets are outnumbered and outclassed by hard to see germans. Not sure how to fix that though.

Upvote 0
The main problem with this in game is that this slight advantage of the Germans means that most skilled players flock to the German side so the teams are usually stacked against the soviets, turning into a huge advantage because now the soviets are outnumbered and outclassed by hard to see germans. Not sure how to fix that though.

Well, we could start by not giving the Germans all these fancy prototype guns with exotic attachments.

Upvote 0
If this is the case, then perhaps the renderer needs some tweaking. In reality, white (not 100% freshly washed titanium-oxide white, but whitish grey) cloth looks pretty similar to white snow in any light.

I think you're on to something. I dont have bloom on but it probably makes the winter camo shine like light bulbs

Easy to fix: server admins need to start enabling auto-balance on their servers.

But for whatever reason they seem unwilling to

Upvote 0
I don't find that they blend in any more than the Russians. Both are hard to spot if hidden and stationary, both are easy to see if moving or in the open.

Edit: Also, I still don't see stacking on the German side. I play realistic TE, so maybe it's happening on FF or CD or something, but I haven't seen unbalanced teams more than once since beta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't find that they blend in any more than the Russians. Both are hard to spot if hidden and stationary, both are easy to see if moving or in the open.

Edit: Also, I still don't see stacking on the German side. I play realistic TE, so maybe it's happening on FF or CD or something, but I haven't seen unbalanced teams more than once since beta.

? what settings u play on? Because as far as im concerned, on default brightness, medium settings, Germans are near impossible to spot in many cases unless they out in open and Soviets are like gigantic red "Shoot me im over here" signs... And i DO see alot of stacking on German side. German side is always full and whenever i join a game in progress the only slots open are Soviet. Whenever selecting teams in beginning before game start the German team always instantly fills up (with some exceptions where people join both sides._

Upvote 0
I dont have bloom on but it probably makes the winter camo shine like light bulbs

I was wondering where this idea of shining white Russians came from as I haven't seen it... must be because I also have bloom disabled.

If it's a rendering issue causing the Russians to stand out more than the Germans I have to say that's something that ought to be addressed in a future update. :(

Upvote 0