• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism Clans

There seems to be a lot of unexplained hostility towards realism units that makes no sense at all.

It's just a style that some people like to play their games in. Some people like it casual, and some people like to have a militaristic type of feel when they play. Realism units are just more centralized with a chain of command, historical tactics, and the ceremonies, ranks, medals/ribbons, etc.

It's like me saying "Well, if you like casual clan gaming so much, why don't you just drop the mouse, get up, and go sign up for 24/7 paintballing?" It just doesn't make any sense.

They're people who pretend to be from units that fought in the war. They hold medal awarding ceremonies and stuff and have names like [6.wSS]Heir Schmid. German realism clans will also do the salute and heil call, and stuff, though they of course won't admit that on these forums.
There are people who genuinely pretend to be members of the SS.
Also: There are no Neo-Nazis allowed in any German realism unit. All of these units are non-political. That's not to say that right wings gravitate towards the Germans and left wings to the Soviets. It's just all in good fun when Soviet and German realism units bash each other with propaganda-esque posts. No one "heils" or goosesteps. Period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think there's anything wrong with realism clans. There's a lot of fun to be had with taking things a little more seriously, although it will never really appeal to the casual gamer.

The hostility is there because some people find it acceptable to laugh at and berate those who have different opinions. It's childish behaviour, and so should be ignored.

I find myself in the middle. I enjoy realistic tactical clan-battles, with ranked order etc. but I draw the line at things such as what we saw in that 29ID video on the first page. I'd feel a bit odd if I were to have a full promotion ceremony in a game, sat at my PC instead of being down the pub :)

There's nothing wrong with a bit of role-play, my girlfriend isn't a nurse but she manages well enough when needed :D

Upvote 0
Well there are some reasons why people may dislike certain realism groups and clans. First of all some people are not friends of a deep chain of command just as you said. The problem that some realism clans and units have (obviously not all) is that they also outside of the real gameplay seem to put a lot of lets call it effort into their Hierachy. This is where some people seem to maybe have some ego problems and are trying to give "orders" to their fellow players in areas where they all should be actually equal. There is a difference if you say a low rank guy in your clan / unit that he has to try to capture a certain point, on a map with a certain tactic, even if the player itsef thinks its stpiud (and maybe he is right) or if you tell the player to keep his mouth shut in certain discussions in their forums as an example. This is my personal experience that I had with realism clans and units in my years but I know that there are obviously units and clans who can make this right.

Also: There are no Neo-Nazis allowed in any German realism unit. All of these units are non-political. That's not to say that right wings gravitate towards the Germans and left wings to the Soviets. It's just all in good fun when Soviet and German realism units bash each other with propaganda-esque posts. No one "heils" or goosesteps. Period.

Sorry but are are very naive or you are playing a different game. I dont think that all those clans and units contain people with that ideology but there is a certain ammount of these players. For obvious reasons they wont say or do certain stuff on public but that is a completly different toppic i guess.

Upvote 0
Well there are some reasons why people may dislike certain realism groups and clans. First of all some people are not friends of a deep chain of command just as you said. The problem that some realism clans and units have (obviously not all) is that they also outside of the real gameplay seem to put a lot of lets call it effort into their Hierachy. This is where some people seem to maybe have some ego problems and are trying to give "orders" to their fellow players in areas where they all should be actually equal. There is a difference if you say a low rank guy in your clan / unit that he has to try to capture a certain point, on a map with a certain tactic, even if the player itsef thinks its stpiud (and maybe he is right) or if you tell the player to keep his mouth shut in certain discussions in their forums as an example. This is my personal experience that I had with realism clans and units in my years but I know that there are obviously units and clans who can make this right.
To some, like me, that is appealing. I enjoy taking orders and carrying them out exactly how they were described to me. Most of the time, however, room is left for improvisation, so it's not like in every realism scrimmage, your officer says, "Okay, we are going to take this building right here. Now I want Fleck, Ostmann, and Zoepf to go through the door in the back and clear each room on the first floor starting from left to right. Then I want blah blah blah..." It's not like that. It's usually an order is given to take an objective and the group leaders are told where to go. What the group leaders then do is usually up to them.

Realistic tactics go a long way, such as exploitation of the machine gun. I found that most times I played against clan members in a server, none of them used a machine gun to their advantage. Whereas, people in realism units revolve around the machine gun, and this is proven to be extraordinarily effective.

It's all based on player preference. I like being ordered what to do, while most others don't. It seems that there are more realism units on this forum than clans, however. ;)

Sorry but are are very naive or you are playing a different game. I dont think that all those clans and units contain people with that ideology but there is a certain ammount of these players. For obvious reasons they wont say or do certain stuff on public but that is a completly different toppic i guess.
I think I'm playing the right game but maybe I should get my eyes checked, hah? :)

There will always be a certain amount of closet neo-nazis or neo-bolsheviks. As long as they don't bring it into the unit or game, everyone is happy.

Upvote 0
Was not trying to rant about realism units in general, hence iam in one myself. I was just tryong to explain why some people maybe have their reaons to dislike them which is okay.

The last point about is about of a grey area and I might have a different point of you there. Of course I cant look into the brain of everyone which is first at all a good thing. So I have no idea what is going on his brain. Maybe the in the house next to me is wearing a SS Uniform every sunday afternoon, I dont know. But especially when it comes to games with this setting some people will still show a bit of their ideology. The maybe have a certain name or maybe drop some subtile comments whatever. When I know that there is a unit or a clan that has in fact (not speculation) people in it I try to find out if the rest of the unit / clan knows about those people and let them know about it. When I have they feeling that they simply dont care or even start to protect those people I will make the personal step and avoid playing with or against them That is why as a example I dont play on certain servers. But that is of course my own opinion and a lot of people, especially americans who have another background etc will have a different one.

Upvote 0
All I see is in this thread:

1556572-likes_super.jpg

Upvote 0
Having played RO since early 2007, I've only seen a few neo-Nazis in the realism community. Preaching their beliefs is generally regarded as unacceptable within the Axis realism community, but, as always, there are rare exceptions to the rule.
I have, however, seen a significant degree of neo-Nazi pubbers and some clanners as well. Often times, the pubbers are quite a bit more vocal about it - likely due to their relative anonymity as a pubber. They're in the community at large, certainly not isolated to realism units.
There is undeniably a large stigma attached to German realism units, though. As a former member of the 2.SS, I had pubbers and clanners outright accuse me of being a Nazi, insult me... Few ever listened when I explained that we weren't politically or ideologically motivated. I'm sure someone's probably going to say, "Well, you should expect that if you were in an SS unit.", but the presumptuous attitude of the community towards anyone with a German tag is rather frustrating at times.

And then there's the attitude towards realism play as a whole, which we've been addressing here in this topic. When Hertz and I first started our unit, we encountered immediate derision and snobbishness on servers we played on. I don't believe it can be explained by the sudden influx of new players into the game, because I've seen veteran players of Red Orchestra with the same viewpoint.

Simply put, it makes little sense to me that anyone can really take a superior attitude towards the realism community, when the game itself fosters a more authentic, realistic style of gameplay. It's more logical for realism units to develop from this game than from, say, Call of Duty or Counterstrike, which also have their own realism communities. Yet, a good number of the Red Orchestra community act as if we take the game too seriously if we try for a historical infantry set-up and use tactics now and then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander Ostmann
Upvote 0
The criticism of historical reenacting (whether out in the field or behind a computer screen) will be forever there, as well as the desire for people to join in on it.

Because there is no regulatory face behind it all and every unit commander pours his heart and soul into building his unit, each one will be different and will be a unique experience to whomever joins in.

That being said, joining the 29th ID and what goes on in there will be very different from what will go on in the 506th PIR or the 305th ID.

Just as is with any other clan. Actually with representing the 305th ID and it's attached Pionier-Battailon, it has given myself and others within the chance to learn more about history not only in Stalingrad, but insight into the life of the common soldier during that world-shaking time.

Say, does joining the army mean I can line up shoulder to shoulder and fire buck and ball at the enemy? :troll:

Upvote 0
I'll admit i don't really understand the whole realism thing, you're limited by the fact your playing a game that isn't very real, and thats why it appears very silly to people.

Even real life reenactors don't take things as far as these realism units (maybe some do, i don't know).

But its probably wise to keep it in game, at least in the uk, reenactors get raided by the police on a monthly basis i think.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
its probably an exaggeration, but the police have and do raid reenactors, and treat them as the worst criminal scum to walk the earth, they even called in a bomb squad for a deactivated grenade in one instance i read about.

All it takes is one person to phone the police saying someone got some machine guns, and from that point onwards all logic is thrown out of the window.

Obviously it depends where you live and what the local police are like

Also the the purpose built blank firing guns that they buy, if you get unlucky and someone in the crime lab or whatever manages to get it to fire a real bullet they're looking at prison time, but most of the time it means they get their guns returned to them in bits though due to a failed attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
I dont know why some of these people in these realism clans, get up from there computer, go to the gym every day for 3 months, run down to the enlistment center and sign up for the real deal. That means that they can role play 24/7 and have no one messing with there fun.
already served the army, besides its the wrong era of realism and the closest i would get to war was being sent to Afghanistan but wait where did all the T34s and russkies go then would only be fighting goat humping midgets

Reactions: MrLebanon
Upvote 0