• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Manor

N1ck

May 15, 2009
Whenever you're playing on the manor map, always head to the caves straight away. This is by far the best tactic for the map, as the house is an absolute deathtrap. Whenever you need to head into the house for the trader, make sure to weld doors behind you when you leave.

When you're in the caves, you should find the area with the tunnel that only has two entrances (the one near the house with the trader shop) and maintain good communication so you know which side most of the specimens are coming from. The only real worry you have when you're doing this is getting back to the spot after getting to the trader and dealing with fleshpounds.

i agree that the cave is the best early game but as soon as FP's come I noticed that the area near the crashed helicopter isnt bad either.
It's pretty defendable and they can only come from the cave or from the front (from the general direction of the house) and its pretty open to have 1 player kite and slowly kill the FP without enraging it while the rest of the team kills the other specimens.

Upvote 0
We have had quite a lot of sucess at this map by staying out near the cave entrance, on the "pier" type walk ways by the open fronted building. If you have a couple of sharpshooters on the hill opposite they have a great firing arc against the crawlers that spawn and against all the random crap that shambles over.

Just run in to the caves when and if needed.

Upvote 0
I find it easier to stay out in the open or, atleast have quick access to the open area incase you get trapped and have no where to go. It works really well to run around, keeping all your enemies on screen behind you, while shooting them and running for ammo...you can do circles around that map...so its pretty impossible to get hit as long as you don't piss of a FP when he is too close to you..Works extra well if your the only one left. The cave does work OKAY unless you have one or more big badass thing coming towards you...

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't like the cave that leads to the basement. It's way too easy for things to get out of hand and get clustered. The caves next the crash sight is the best in my opinion. There are 3 entrances. That means that the wave comes through each tunnel in pretty low numbers and can be cut down easily. It also means you have many escape routes. If they're coming from the 2 side entrances you can just go out the middle and take down the few on that path. Then you're out in the open and can establish where to go from there. It's a great spot that not too many people utilize.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to wonder why the house is even there, really. It is, as EVERYONE says, a freaking deathtrap if I ever saw one. The only reason to go inside ever is because the trader is there and because weapon/ammo/armor spawns are in there. There are so many ways to get boxed in...Sirens can absolutely decimate you in the close quarters, especially...

It's a shame too, because the house has some great, downright eerie scenery. If it's near the end of a wave, I'll usually browse the house for weapons and ammo (Especially if the trader is in there!), but to survive, the caves near the chopper are usually best. The caves that connect to the basement are iffy at best because swarms tend to form in the house and can easily go into your back door through said basement...

Upvote 0
ohm i love that 3 enterance cave system.

i play as medic, lvl 3 atm. had to solo 100+ specimins 3-4 times already. lots of fun kiting em around there. I only ever duck into the house to buy, or grab some ammo in the first room if i run out of respawns by the lake, chopper and wherever else outside.

Same here, just as a berserker. ;)

The easiest way to get around on this map for me is to wait near the hut, kill as much as possible and when things start to get ugly (Fleshpound or just too many smaller specimen to kill until they surround you) move towards the cave entrance where the trader hides behind a rock. Shoot while retreating and you can gun down a lot of them already.

Once you are inside the caves, timing becomes important. You have to move through the caves quickly or they will surround you. You also do not want too many of them clogging up the cave entrance or some might turn around and become a problem later on. Try to kill as many of them as possible. You will get a feeling for the safe amount of time you can stay at the entrance once you did this a couple of times.

Either way, you want to head to the exit near the helicopter as fast as possible. Once you are there, kill any specimen that are approaching from the outside (watch out, there's a spawn directly behind the helicopter), turn around and open fire. Give them everything you've got. Once you killed them/they closed in, move towards the mansion but do not (!) enter it. Turn left and head towards the small hut again. Gun down any specimen you can find on the way, but do not stop. The tricky thing here is you do not want to be too fast either, or any remaining specimen in the cave will turn around and become a problem on the second run.

Once you reach the hut, repeat the whole process.

I managed to reach the Patriarch in a 6-player game pretty much on my own this way. The other 5 initially tended to defend either the mansion or the cave leading to the mansion and got killed. Later on we went my route together but did not manage to kill the Patriarch.

Important sidenote: This is pretty obvious but if you want to be able to pull this off as a group, be sure to stick together. If your team splits up chances are high that you will be intercepted in the caves. This will prove deadly in later waves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ohm i love that 3 enterance cave system.

i play as medic, lvl 3 atm. had to solo 100+ specimins 3-4 times already. lots of fun kiting em around there. I only ever duck into the house to buy, or grab some ammo in the first room if i run out of respawns by the lake, chopper and wherever else outside.

Same here, just as a berserker. ;)

The easiest way to get around on this map for me is to wait near the hut, kill as much as possible and when things start to get ugly (Fleshpound or just too many smaller specimen to kill until they surround you) move towards the cave entrance where the trader hides behind a rock. Shoot while retreating and you can gun down a lot of them already.

Once you are inside the caves, timing becomes important. You have to move through the caves quickly or they will surround you. You also do not want too many of them clogging up the cave entrance or some might turn around and become a problem later on.

Either way, you want to head to the exit near the helicopter as fast as possible. Once you are there, kill any specimen that are approaching (watch out, there's a spawn directly behind the helicopter), turn around and open fire. Give them everything you've got. Once you killed them/they closed in, move towards the mansion but do not (!) enter it. Turn left and head towards the small hut again. Gun down any specimen you can find on the way, but do not stop.

Once you reach the hut, repeat the whole process.

I managed to reach the Patriarch in a 6-player game pretty much on my own this way. The other 5 initially tended to defend either the mansion or the cave leading to the mansion and got killed. Later on we went my route together until the Patriarch approached, but sadly did not manage to kill him.

Important sidenote: This is pretty obvious but if you want to be able to pull this off as a group, be sure to stick together. If your team splits up chances are high that you will be intercepted in the caves. This will prove deadly in later waves.

Upvote 0
I love how no one here is suggesting the house itself as a defense point. AND YET THE PEOPLE I PLAY WITH STILL USE IT.

The problem I always see in there is there are too many doors to weld that don't actually give any defense, and just work to separate players, and too many entrances in any given room anyway.

So far the one thing I've seen use in it for is on the Patriarch, if you're suicidal enough to try "trapping" him, using the first room of the manor. (so that he can't run away and heal). But even then, you've got zero cover from his minigun so that's not exactly about to help.

Upvote 0
You ... kind of contradicted yourself right there. It does not get suggested because people die in there.

Exactly. Too many areas to hold and way, way too many areas to watch out for. They can come from the front room to get in, they can come from the basement...and I'm not sure, but I think some even spawn inside the house (I know they spawn right outside in HUGE numbers!). I'd say the biggest problem is that once you're in the house for the defense, you're STUCK in there. The only exits are the front doors (With huge monster spawns outside!) or the basement that leads out through a cave. The basement is dark and usually swamped with monsters who decided the front door was too crowded. A bad option, all-in-all.

The house is a horrible defense point. However, I use it offensively sometimes. Bait critters inside and toss a nade down on my way out, having a firebug spray the doorways as I leave, having a sharpshooter headshot while monsters pile up in the doorway, ect. Works great if you don't forget to watch your back...

Also, when you have to hit the trader in the house, the basement -> caves exit is great, because it puts you out within a quick sprint from the helicopter caves.

Upvote 0
I was in a game earlier where we had a kind of backwards house defense kind of thing. <_<

We would weld the doors to the house and camp the windows and kill them while they continued to spawn inside of the mansion. Only a few crawlers every now and then would spawn behind us and if we needed to open a door and get the scrakes / fleshpounds we could just open one and funnel them through pretty well.

Upvote 0
If you go to the stairs leading to the basement levels and put one guy welding that door at all times. When it gets to the latter stages, kit him up with a LAW for the FPs and just keep welding. Gets your welding points up by miles! Im lvl 3 support and nearly at 4 but have enough welding points for half of lvl 4 already.

Upvote 0
I was in a game earlier where we had a kind of backwards house defense kind of thing. <_<

We would weld the doors to the house and camp the windows and kill them while they continued to spawn inside of the mansion. Only a few crawlers every now and then would spawn behind us and if we needed to open a door and get the scrakes / fleshpounds we could just open one and funnel them through pretty well.

I've done that at Farm where we welded all enemies out and shot them from the Windows. If you have SS welding the doors , nothing can get in and you to shoot the enemies without reprisal...

Upvote 0
I weld the side door so they have to come out the front and camp it with a 'zerker or two. Have a sharpshooter or Commando watch for stalkers/crawlers from behind and have the rest shoot through the windows/toss nades for support. Racks up the kills like mad. Defending the outside while the enemies spawn inside is easy. Defending the inside while the enemies spawn outside is a nightmare!

Upvote 0