• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High levels in low difficulty games

Zealot

Nov 12, 2009
Rarely can I enjoy a game without some level 6 coming in and killing everything, leaving everyone else in the game with no challenge. Once I hit level 4 I never use that character in normal again. Once I hit 6, I stay away from hard mode. Why do I do this? Because I know the pain of having one of these guys coming in and ruining the game. Please give these directionless people something to do so they will stop ruining the game!

If I were to suggest something, I would say that in easy, you only get the benefits of level 2 perks, even if you were level 6. And in normal, you only get the benefit of level 4 perks. Hard mode should only give you the benefits of level 5 and level 6 should only be able to be used on suicide.

Last edited:
I will gladly ignore your suggestion and present you with a soothing image

facepalm.jpg

Not everyone with a levl 6 perk joins a Hard or Normal game to be a douche. I enjoy the casual play of Normal and mostly just play bodyguard and money boy.

Upvote 0
Why not make it controllable by the servers?
Maybe people want to play god on normal with their lv6 perk every once in a while while others seek a challenge in playing suicidal with lv1 perks.

Why don't they go play god somewhere people AREN'T trying to have fun?

Not everyone with a levl 6 perk joins a Hard or Normal game to be a douche. I enjoy the casual play of Normal and mostly just play bodyguard and money boy.

In other words, taking the challenge out of the game for the other players. In other words, being a douche.

As long as that idea to lower your perk level to be able to join lower level games was put in. Having it so that the only way my friends could play with me was for them to join me on a Suicidal server would just suck.

No, you join your friends on a normal server with a level 6, you only get the benefits of level 4 in that game. You can still join, just not with your god powers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, you join your friends on a normal server with a level 6, you only get the benefits of level 4 in that game. You can still join, just not with your god powers.

Thats fine, I personally would like the option to choose the perk level I like out of all that I've unlocked, I see normal as a level 3 difficulty tops. Level 4 cakewalks Normal.

Upvote 0
Why don't they go play god somewhere people AREN'T trying to have fun?
As long as you are playing a co-op game, you have to deal with the people that join up. There are many games that pit player that have unlocked additional stuff that give them a distinct advantage. You would think that in a game where you are cooperating that a highly level guy joining would be a good thing.

I never had any issue with higher level people joining because they are generally well-mannered in the same percentage low leveled players are. If you start differentiating like this then there are bound to be people calling for lower limits on difficulties too.

Upvote 0

facepalm.jpg

So you're consciously not playing as well as you can to allow players with weaker levels to catch up?..
How is that fun?

Upvote 0
By your suggestion i would not be able to play my l6 medic on hard mode.
this is not cool.
You say "play L6 on suicidal" but the only suicidal servers, if there are any, are American or close enough and thus have insane ping.

Your suggestion would make me play with high ping just to use my hard-earned level 6 medic effectively.
I'm fine with you nerfing my L6 sharpshooter, i can handle starting with a LAR. I might even use it over the 9mm in the starting round(s).

Upvote 0
So you're consciously not playing as well as you can to allow players with weaker levels to catch up?..
How is that fun?

I said I play bodyguard. If things get dicey I'll step in. I enjoy the game enough to just sit back and watch and pass a few heals out here and there. Playing my best and being a douche go hand-in-hand too easily sometimes, therefore I let off the gas (or in this case the advantages of my perk rank) to play defender for the team. I'm used to the role and enjoy it. There are many different forms of fun and opinions on fun to different people.

Upvote 0
In other words, taking the challenge out of the game for the other players. In other words, being a douche.

No, I never said I took the challenge out of it. What I meant is that I'd step in and help if things were about to go bottoms up. Even then the person could still die. Even on Normal or Hard you can be overwhelmed despite perk level if you're distracted (especially depending upon the perk). I get what you're saying. You're tired of the guy who joins with max perk just to blast the crap out of everything and stockile money for himelf/herself. Meeting the occasional jackass is inevitable. Hoever, meeting someone who realize their perk strength and can lay off to let people get plenty of kills worth while is a nice sight indeed.

As someone mentioned, most of the Suicidal servers are American-based. I play on a few Normal and Hard German servers and can say it would be hell to force people to slug through Suicidal with high ping just to attempt to enjoy the full strength of their perk's abilities.

Difficulty is difficulty for a reason. You shouldn't be totally forced to play on max difficulty to enjoy your perk, and at the same time the people with the level 6 perks joining a lower difficulty server just to be a jackass should be set straight. I've had run-ins with a few and I share your anguish. I'd rather Hard mode be allowed access to all perk levels, not just 5 as the max as suggested in your idea. For some people Hard is hard enough. Not everyone is competent or skilled enough at the game itself (not just their perk) to play successfully on Suicidal.

Upvote 0
I must say that I've got level6 in all perks and I still play on normal (heck sometimes I even on beginner, but that's only with firebug+knife). Why?

Because most of the people I play with (friends) have rather low levels and sometimes find it too hard on >=hard. But then I play with 2 rules to not ruin anything for anyone, I never use to high tier weapons (only tier1 for normal, 2 for hard (except xbow since it's waay to good for a t2), and 3 for suicidal). And I make sure that I don't take most of the kills.
But still people rage as soon as they sees me. I can understand the anger when high levels dominates low-diff servers. But I do my best to be able to play with my friends + without being a jerk + and still have fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
See the problem is, your complaining about high levels being in normal and hard. For as long as I can remember the high levels have been complaining about the low levels being in suicidal.

You will probly have to go with the same solution I did, KF is a game that is ran off of public servers (Not owned by TWI). So anyone can make a server that the KF community can join. Its what I did. I got fed up with lvl 1-4 joining my suicidal games, so I made my own private server ran public and started booting them if they joined. I would suggest if you have this much of a problem with the high levels joining your game, to make a private server in the normal or hard then advise them that they will be booted if they dont use the level required to play in your server. If they can't or refuse, boot them.

As for the lvl 6 joining, Ill join if someone on my freinds list wants to play it, or someone asks for help. As said previously, Id also just stand back and let the team lvl. Fun for me cause Im helping. I dont care if I am number one kills in a normal or hard game. I think of myself as the incase of emergancy player. So if they run into trouble, I can clear everything out and get them back to what they need to be

Works diff with the lvl 1-4 joining suicidal. They come in and everyone else has to pick up after them and pay for them. Heaven forbid they a demo, cause they just want to plant bombs and ask for more monies.

Its on both sides, so if this lvl change comes in, low levels will never be allowed in a suicidal game again. lvl 6 required. If not for my server, I would have never got into a game where I had a game with all 6 lvl 6

Upvote 0
If level 6 players could not join hard games then they would be stuck with suicidal servers wihich all run the Defence map. So it would kill the game. Silly idea.

Like I said, anybody can join any difficulty, they just don't get the benefit for the higher levels.

I must say that I've got level6 in all perks and I still play on normal (heck sometimes I even on beginner, but that's only with firebug+knife). Why?

Because most of the people I play with (friends) have rather low levels and sometimes find it too hard on >=hard. But then I play with 2 rules to not ruin anything for anyone, I never use to high tier weapons (only tier1 for normal, 2 for hard (except xbow since it's waay to good for a t2), and 3 for suicidal). And I make sure that I don't take most of the kills.
But still people rage as soon as they sees me. I can understand the anger when high levels dominates low-diff servers. But I do my best to be able to play with my friends + without being a jerk + and still have fun.

Yes, you can still do that. But where exactly is the fun if there is no way you can lose? Even if the higher level only killed when necessary, he would be completely ruining the game by taking any chance of losing away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meh, honestly, I get what you're saying.

Was playing on Normal once, with FOUR LEVEL SIX SHARPSHOOTERS.

(I **** you not)

So I asked them: "Uhm, guys, what are four level six Sharpshooters doing on Normal? Can you at least go play Hard, or something?"

Their reply was:

"Stfu noob stfu why are you on Normal stfu"

And then proceeded to stalk me, killing anything I tried to attack.

Which they were already passively doing.

So; TL;DR, I don't care who's in what kind of difficulty as long as they don't be a douche and let the lower level people enjoy the game.

Upvote 0
Like I said, anybody can join any difficulty, they just don't get the benefit for the higher levels.

Yes, you can still do that. But where exactly is the fun if there is no way you can lose? Even if the higher level only killed when necessary, he would be completely ruining the game by taking any chance of losing away.

To be honest, I'm playing as commando a big deal of my time and when I does that I play with bullpup. Me against anyone with a scar and that person have a higher damageoutput, the same amount of hp. The only thing I actually have more than most low levels is skill (or I'd rather say experience).

As for the "only kill when necessary", I kill like regular people except that I stay below the max kills if I should by some reason happen to get close to it.

But the most important thing is that because many highlevels on lowdiff dominates the game doesn't mean everyone does. I for one, play to have fun with my friends. And since I cant choose to play with a lower perk I do my best to stay on everyone elses level.

Upvote 0