• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vote for a Break

and what's wrong with that? that's not abuse. if you think it would be that bad, put a limit to the amount of pauses allowed in a map.

scarface, even though it is not that bad of an idea, your spectate concept is just too complicated. not trying to be mean, but it is. simplicity over complexity. ;)

What is so complicated about adjusting the zombie counter if a person leaves and not allowing them to rejoin until the end of the wave. That seems just as easy as making a vote system and a timer.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to get caught on a server with a bunch of noobs who want to pause the game because jimmy needs to eat dinner.

Upvote 0
What is so complicated about adjusting the zombie counter if a person leaves and not allowing them to rejoin until the end of the wave. That seems just as easy as making a vote system and a timer.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to get caught on a server with a bunch of noobs who want to pause the game because jimmy needs to eat dinner.

well, ask TW.....if it's so easy to do, don't you think they would have already added it? can't just assume something is easy ;)

Upvote 0
and what's wrong with that? that's not abuse. if you think it would be that bad, put a limit to the amount of pauses allowed in a map.

Combined with only one pause per wave (including trader session) and it's bit difficult to go and abuse. Would remind me more about overtime in hockey or something like that than simple "hay guyz pause. pause we're in deep trauble!"

Upvote 0
The pause suggestion is a good idea. Perhaps it can only be brought up while at the trader, in which case players then vote (majority wins). A short, maybe 30 second stop in the trader clock would be allowed for voting. If a pause is passed, then it would be in the range of 3-5 minutes. A maximum of 1 or 2 pauses would be allowed per game (not player), and no pauses would be allowed before the 3rd or 4th round.

Upvote 0
Admins can pause the game.

Yea I actually found that out after I made my post... But anyway, theres rarely admins around.

I think the "pause idea" is the wrong way to go about fixing this problem. Like most people I'm pretty busy and when I sit down to play I'm ready to play and I don't want to wait because someone has to take their dog out or take a piss. I know stuff comes up unexpectedly but I don't think 5 players should be punished because 1 player wants/needs to take a break.

Well its a vote, if like 5 out of 6 players voted yes then whats the problem? If they rather let him die and thuss possibly ruining the game, then so be it, but still there should be an option to vote for a pause. It might not pass all the time but hey it would be there.

The better option IMHO, would be allow that person to go into spectate mode or something similar. Since that person isn't fighting the zombie count should be automatically adjusted and when/if that person re-joins the zombie count should be re-adjusted.

To fix milking the pause (ie. having a player come in half way through the wave with full ammo/health/armor if that person wants to join mid-wave then he should start with half health/armor/ammo OR if that person doesn't like that punishment then he must wait til the end of the current wave to join like he is just joining the server..

Hmm thats also a good idea. Assuming you could keep all your weapons, and preferably ammo too. So, youd have to join in during the next wave, not in the middle.

Upvote 0
The better option IMHO, would be allow that person to go into spectate mode or something similar. Since that person isn't fighting the zombie count should be automatically adjusted and when/if that person re-joins the zombie count should be re-adjusted.

isn't this what we have now? the only reason it would not normally work is on rented servers with limited slots, or admins who don't know well enough to open up spectator slots. but on properly configured servers, this is exactly how it works. you hit the spectate button and the wave strength adjusts automatically same as a disconnect, you even keep your cash and kills when you rejoin iirc, weapons can be dropped in advance if you know you have to go afk.

this is how it should be done imo, the admin pause feature I think is only useful to deal with troublemakers, or when playing in a closed game. I don't think that players should generally have the ability to disrupt a game, just opens up more opportunities for griefing. agree with the rest of your post though, players who need to take a break can just sit out for one wave.

Upvote 0
if one or 2 players could force a pause, you'd have issues. with a majority or better yet a unanimous vote, you'll have no issues. again, the problem with people going into spec:
1.) if the person doesn't preplan their drop, they lose their weapon
2.) if the person drops mid wave, the amount of zeds doesn't magically adjust to having 1 less player
3.) if the person does not notify the rest of the players he is dropping, you're going to have confusion and would hurt gameplay.

a unanimous pause is simple. i like moe's idea to have it allowed for vote at the trader. that would stop any "tactical" abuse in stopping at important times to evaluate the situtation and make plans considering no zeds spawn during the 60 seconds the trader is open

Upvote 0
Admins can pause the game.

I realize this, but 99% of the time, an admin isn't gonna be around and when they are, they aren't usually inclined to pause.

How about you ask the team do defend you for 5 minutes? surely can't be that hard if you're with a group of good players :eek:

On suicidal if someone doesn't move to save themselves, it's nearly impossible to defend them. Either you leave them to save yourself or you both die.

I think the "pause idea" is the wrong way to go about fixing this problem. Like most people I'm pretty busy and when I sit down to play I'm ready to play and I don't want to wait because someone has to take their dog out or take a piss. I know stuff comes up unexpectedly but I don't think 5 players should be punished because 1 player wants/needs to take a break. Since most of you are making this a majority vote situation not everyone would want this and I would simply leave the server if that happened thus destroying potentially good team chemistry.

You're honestly telling me that if you're playing with your buddies and one (Or even 2-3) need to take a piss break (Or get a drink), you'd be made if they voted to pause for a minute? In pubs, I could see it POSSIBLY be annoying, though it wouldn't usually pass the majority vote, but in friend-games, it'd be a godsend!

Upvote 0
A spectate where you can go out and only come back in at the start of the next wave. Keep your money and weapons, no penalty other than you can't get back into the game.

This sounds like a very good solution, a kind of "Skip a wave"-Button. Can't see anything wrong with skipping a wave, since the zed-counter could easily be adjusted at the start of the wave.
Combine it with it only being available during the Tradertime maybe.

Love it.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a very good solution, a kind of "Skip a wave"-Button. Can't see anything wrong with skipping a wave, since the zed-counter could easily be adjusted at the start of the wave.
Combine it with it only being available during the Tradertime maybe.

Love it.

you should only be allowed to call a wave skip vote when there is 3 zeds or less remaining.

Upvote 0
if one or 2 players could force a pause, you'd have issues. with a majority or better yet a unanimous vote, you'll have no issues. again, the problem with people going into spec:
1.) if the person doesn't preplan their drop, they lose their weapon
2.) if the person drops mid wave, the amount of zeds doesn't magically adjust to having 1 less player
3.) if the person does not notify the rest of the players he is dropping, you're going to have confusion and would hurt gameplay.

a unanimous pause is simple. i like moe's idea to have it allowed for vote at the trader. that would stop any "tactical" abuse in stopping at important times to evaluate the situtation and make plans considering no zeds spawn during the 60 seconds the trader is open

Simple fixes
1) make it so if they spectate they don't loose thier weapon...like the skip wave function mentioned above.
2) simply make the zeds adjust...this ability is already present if you do it prior to a wave...just make it do it mid wave...perhaps as a team penalty then reduce the guy who left mid wave's proprotion of zombies to half.
3) it wouldn't hurt game play that much if someone left esp. if their zombie amount was reduced...also unless ur playing with noobs who are rambo-ing everyone is grouped together in a defensive position so you'd know if he left...it would just be one less guy fighting.

Upvote 0
too bad those aren't actually simple fixes. can you recode the game to impliment all of that? let me know when you've got it ready and then you can call it simple.

as for the simplicity of a vote pause, the ability is already there since admins can pause the maps. just as admins can kick players and force map change, players (on configed servers) can also vote kick players and vote change maps. why shouldn't servers be allowed to config for players to have a pause vote since admins can do it? see that is simplicity.

Upvote 0
@ SIN: here here. Why do people insist on the much more complicated solution? They want to have their cake and eat it too. People already wait for players to join before starting games, so I see no problem with waiting a couple minutes on occasion if someone needs to go afk. Again, with a vote, the team can decide if a pause is needed. And with a 2-3 minute timer, there's no need to worry about waiting forever for a player to return. Simple and effective.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really I don't need a pause IN game, I need one between games.

It's nice to go smoke one, have a drink, pee and get started again. But if you leave your chair at the end of a game you'll come back on wave 2 lying sideways on the ground and far behind on the economic curve.

I would like an admin option to put an "intermission" time in between games.

Upvote 0
^^you're kidding right? that's what the lobby is for. if people want to wait then you can hang out there for as long as you want, if not then you can't prevent them from starting the game, nor should you. unless admin sets a really long ready timeout, or a netwait time which has no user feedback, so players are likely to quit.

Upvote 0