• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Fix] ATI users Possible fix for stuttering / poor performance.

Torment

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
I have an ATI HD 6950 ( running at 6970 gpu & memory clock speeds ) and RO was giving me horrible performance at mainly ultra settings - the worst feature of which was a massive amount of stuttering & input lag at random intervals & during artillery strikes, despite reasonably high frame rates.

A friend of mine has the exact same gpu, clocked in the exact same way, but has not been experiencing any of these stutters / performance problems. The reason for this seemingly is that he was using Catalyst driver package version 11.2 whereas I was using the most recent version 11.8.

Upon uninstalling 11.8 and rolling back to 11.2 my performance in RO is miraculous by comparison. Framerates seem consistently higher and there is practically no stutter or noticeable input lag. Basically, with 11.2 the game runs as I would expect it to at high / ultra settings.

So, for any users with an HD 6000 series card running Windows 7 64 bit I suggest trying the older driver version 11.2 which you can find here .

I am unsure as to whether this will benefit anyone with an older ATI card or who is using a different operating system, but it may be worth trying to locate an older driver version for your specific card series if you are experiencing performance below what you would expect.

Also, if any devs happen to read this - in conjunction with TWI's conversation with ATI about Crossfire performance - it would perhaps be worth mentioning that performance in RO2 (at least on HD6000 series cards) is nigh on perfect in driver version 11.2 when compared with more recent driver updates that have been released.

Last edited:
Didn't do anything for me. No increase, no decrease in performance.

Oh, well that's kinda disappointing. Maybe not as good of a fix as I thought then.

I doubt it would help Dual gpu cards either since I think they use a sort of inbuilt crossfire or something ? (I had a dual gpu card about a year ago and seem to remember crossfire being involved somewhere - enabled through CCC or something.)

Back to the drawing board then I guess. It still worked for me though ( & my friend found the same thing when he changed to 11.8 and then had to roll back again) - so, anyone with an overclocked 6950 should still give it a try I think.

Upvote 0
Tried these and a few other drivers, all performed worse than 11.8. Rolling back drivers is not an exact science, cards are built around the drivers that are available at the time. It also varies with manufacturer, so even 2 people with the same series card but made by different manufacturers can get different results.

I also wouldn't consider this a fix, more of a workaround. But if you want to start troubleshooting the best driver, start with the driver version your card came with.

Upvote 0
Asus 6850 here, downloaded 11.2 for XP 32 system (found it elsewhere on same site) and I have a noticable performance boost. It's not running great, but it's way, way better than getting 10fps all the time.

After playing some more tonight my original language of 'perfect' and 'miraculous' was definitely overstating the improvement somewhat.

My frames are definitely higher and the rollback has removed much of the stuttering - but on some maps, and with heavy artillery it is still definitely there to some extent. Hopefully upon release or with a newer Catalyst version these issues will be sorted out but for a small percentage of us ATI users rolling back to 11.2 in the meantime does appear to help a bit - though it is not a complete fix clearly.

Upvote 0
I have a somewhat steady framerate on my mediocre system.

AMD Phenom X3 8750 BE @ 2.8
ATI HD 4890 1GB
Asus M3A78
Onboard sound (VIA Vinyl HD Audio /VT1708B)
4GB PC6400 (800MHz Kingston HyperX)
W7 Ultra

40-50 fps (70fps indoors) on Pavlov's

It severely dips when there is an arty party going.
I have the feeling it has something to do with sound instead of video.
Strange that this happens indoors (basement etc.) when there is no arty to see at all.

I also have this strange stutter when firing the PPSh.

Upvote 0