• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Yes, another thread about Sway.. This time with RL video reference

Look up Biathlon for high stress shooting after exertion:

http://youtu.be/e5mseV1dvXY[url]http://youtu.be/e5mseV1dvXY[/URL]

http://youtu.be/6cZ9paTDL4o[url]http://youtu.be/6cZ9paTDL4o[/URL]

The target range shooting distance is 50 metres (160 ft). There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 millimetres (1.8 in), when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 millimetres (4.5 in).

Trained Olympic atheletes who use optics and guns built for precision. They take their time to aim, it's only 50m, and they still miss.
That's a good point

Upvote 0
Well, are you seeing the pauses he's taking after each run? Those targets are also not that far off, he has a 4x magnification on his red dot, it's an assault rifle, which is easier to handle, AND half of his shots were from a rested position.

Standing sway needs an increase. Standing + leaning needs a large increase.

to add on to your points, he's also handling a carbine, firing 5.56mm rounds.
that's approx 26gns of powder instead of 45 or more..

plus red dot, no lining up of iron sights

Upvote 0
That seems to be the hot topic right now. A lot of players are complaining that there's not enough gun sway, particularly after running a long distance. Personally, I think that sort of sway is something we've become accustomed to from previous games. But, is it realistic?

"Sledgehammer" RunNGun Intro Pt 2: Nutnfancy Testing Drill - YouTube

You be the judge. After watching that vid, does the game have it right or wrong? IMO, it would be nice if breathe control wasn't automatic, that would slow things down a bit and also add a bit more realism and interaction.

I was gonna take this seriously until I saw nutnfancy.. you know that guy is a joke right? LOL.

Upvote 0
9 times out of 10 when im shooting a gun in real life, i always go for the supported positions.
why? well because the stabilisation times between shots are shorter if youre supported.
thats not how it is in the game right now.

+1.
This is the real issue and realism killer.
In real life shooting everybody supports their weapon if only they can.
In RO2 no-one bothers supporting their weapon.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm not playing on the right servers, but from my experience attempting to fire your weapon exposed and standing leads to a quick death in RO2.

I -never- fire my weapon unsupported unless I'm in a desperate CQC situation. I -do- see plenty of folks trying to sprint across the open, dive behind a bit of cover, and then pop up to shoot me, but I already have my ironsights up and I -know- where they're hiding, so I put a bullet through them regardless.

I have never seen, or pulled off, a perfect 100m+ shot standing unsupported after a hard sprint. This may be because I usually get shot for standing around like a pillock, but It might also have to do with the free aim with ADS, the limited sway that is ALREADY in the game, and the accuracy of those who ARE bracing vs the small, but effective, extra second it takes for me to get my gun up.

I really don't see the problem, gameplay wise. Sure, in a peaceful server where you aren't under attack, it's plenty possible to pull off a relatively quick shot standing unsupported, but it's just not practical in a game where the other team is both brutally accurate and capable of killing you in a single shot.

And there seems to be plenty of delay between finishing the spring animation and bringing the ironsights up. It's gotten me killed quite a few times...

Upvote 0
I think all the arguments keep coming back to the same point... after sprinting there is no penalty. When the avatars lungs are exploding there should be a very brief recovery time where aiming unsupported is very difficult, supported less so but still more sway than not winded.

A fresh soldier is pretty accurate though. I think the supported sway is very good. It moves a little so timing it for +150m shots is necessary (shift zoom mode).

Its just the "please stop I cannot breath!" being able to hit a dime at 200m is the issue.

Upvote 0
If you ever played airsoft and had to do a long sprint, that the sway in the game is in no way to much.

yeah, i havent played airsoft except for cramped indoor battles...

but i have sprinted in full battle gear with a mauser and fired the gun afterwards... and the sway is not enough in this game (when standing up and when unsupported).

Upvote 0
One thing I think we may not be seeing is the bullet hit window compared to the amount of sway we see.

The gun may not showing a lot of sway motion, but this is not an exact measurement of the radius of the hit window.

So I am standing and the gun sway seems a little less then i think it might be, but my shots are not all hitting right on the money dot in the middle. There is a bit of a radius around the sight where the bullet seems to hit and is most noticeable when standing.

So just because the visual sway is not what you think you would see this is not exactly indicating that the shots are just as accurate.
It may be that the sway we see is turned down a little for game pay but the radius the bullet will hit within may be reasonable for the firing position and stamina level.

Upvote 0
Idea: Stamina Bar (0 to 10) + Suppression Bar (0 to 10) = Accuracy Bar (0 to 20)

If AcuBar = 0 then put the sway we have now
If AcuBar = 1 to 9 then put a medium sway (RO1? or a little less)
If AcuBar >= 10 then put an great amount of sway

If every StaBar and SupBar lose a point every 2 seconds... ok here we need to do some research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

A trained marksman only needs one deep breath to get his sights back in focus.
A second breath starts the breathing cycle for accuracy.

At least this is how it is with me. That first breath hurts like crazy when your completely winded but after you let it settle your good to go ;)

Reducing a point every second for 10 seconds is a long long long time.

Upvote 0
Idea: Stamina Bar (0 to 10) + Suppression Bar (0 to 10) = Accuracy Bar (0 to 20)

If AcuBar = 0 then put the sway we have now
If AcuBar = 1 to 9 then put a medium sway (RO1?)
If AcuBar >= 10 then put an great amount of sway

If every StaBar and SupBar lose a point every 2 seconds... ok here we need to do some research.

Good idea.

The normal sway is fine and not to little. But exhaustion and surpression should lead to a bigger sway.

Upvote 0
Reducing a point every second for 10 seconds is a long long long time.

I know, infact that part needs some optimization based on reality.

Anyway it should be a good thing to have a really great malus if you reach the max on one of the two bars

For example if StuBar or StaBar are =10 then it need 5 seconds to pass to 9 (you are really scared or you are really exhausted, in every case your heart is exploding)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ynow, i know its not realistic, but i miss running across a street in roost and watching the bullets fly around me not hitting because of recoil + sway. now anything within 300m has pinpoint accuracy regardless of movement.

In RO: OST it felt like you were there. I remember I hold my head down when bullets whizzed around your head. :D Good times.

Upvote 0
This video, IMO, does nothing but prove why sway needs to be increased - or at the very least, they need to introduce an even more hardcore mode where it feels like RO1 in this aspect (see my thread in the suggestions section).

I arbitrarily skipped to about 14:30, and what do I find? I find him resting his gun, and STILL taking time between some shots.

Currently, in game, people are taking about 1-2 seconds to aim (starting with your gun at hip) and pulling off amazingly easy shots. It's CoD like in nature, argue for realism all you want - but that's how the game is playing.

They NEED to have another game mode with more intense sway included or a lot of RO vets are going to lose interest very quickly.

Upvote 0