• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death messages

casmeo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
So now I noticed there is a delay between you kill someone and its death message actually appearing on the screen which I don't really like but that's another story, I observed too that you only see your own kills and not the ones from your mates and enemies.

Is this a server option or is intented to be like that?

IMO it should display everything. Just cap it to 5 lines or so per time.

Last edited:
I got killed a lot of time on RO1 because I was checking if there was a kill of my own displayed on the screen. I really like this thing they've done in RO2 where you can choose to display only your own kills and deaths messages.
But I'm pretty sure you can choose whether you see other people's kills displayed or not.

As for the delayed death message, IMO that's the best, it really adds a lot of tension/immersion to the game.

Upvote 0
So now I noticed there is a delay between you kill someone and its death message actually appearing on the screen which I don't really like but that's another history, I observed too that you only see your own kills and not the ones from your mates and enemies.

Is this a server option or is intented to be like that?

IMO it should display everything. Just cap it to 5 lines or so per time.

Server options.
Delayed, enabled or disabled.

Upvote 0
So now I noticed there is a delay between you kill someone and its death message actually appearing on the screen which I don't really like but that's another history, I observed too that you only see your own kills and not the ones from your mates and enemies.

I like it that you don't see it right away, but i do agree that it should show all the kills, maybe in the top left corner instead so they are devided. Would be very difficult to find your own name in the kill spam :D

Upvote 0
I liked this feature in DH, it adds a lot of suspense to each kill. One thing I've noticed from the videos is that the delay doesn't even matter since your character auto-taunts whenever they get a kill.

That is a very good point.

I personally like the delay as others have said it adds some suspense. I'm not a complete realism freak though, I DO like to know how I am doing and seeing my kills in the HUD is a nice reward. I also think it adds some rivalism and banter with the other players which I would sorely miss if you have no idea who is killing who.

Upvote 0
Just to add..... I do like the delayed messages and as well having the option to turn them off altogether. I agree with a previous poster who stated that you will play entirely differently if you don't know (at distance or in a building) whether you killed an enemy or not. This forcing one to actually go and investigate or "hope" the enemy is down while running across an open area.

I can't wait to try things with the messages turned off altogether.....

Upvote 0
Im a huge fan of having them disabled. BUT as a server admin I hope there is an option to display 'Teamkills Only'. Keeping your server clean of asshats who deliberately try and ruin the fun for everyone else is a top priority for us. While it doesnt appear this will be present on release I hope that either TWI or modders can help remedy this.

Upvote 0
I liked this feature in DH, it adds a lot of suspense to each kill. One thing I've noticed from the videos is that the delay doesn't even matter since your character auto-taunts whenever they get a kill.

Indeed, hopefully something is done or gets done about that.

I love the battle chatter, it just needs some fine tuning.

Upvote 0