• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will heavy MG work? Portable tripod?

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
As we know from this pic there will be heavy MGs on tripods:

roheavymg.jpg

I would like to know how it will work in the game:

1) the whole MG fixed (and everyone can use it)
2) the tripod fixed and the MG gunner has to bring his own MG
3) SL and/or MG select the position of the tripod(s) at start of the map? (maybe 6-10 different positions to choose from)
4) Or can you also move the tripod?

thanx for the info.

As we know from this pic there will be heavy MGs on tripods:

roheavymg.jpg

I would like to know how it will work in the game:

1) the whole MG fixed (and everyone can use it)
2) the tripod fixed and the MG gunner has to bring his own MG
3) SL and/or MG select the position of the tripod(s) at start of the map? (maybe 6-10 different positions to choose from)
4) Or can you also move the tripod?

thanx for the info.

good question

I'm going to hope for it being portable. One man carries tripod, the other carries the gun. Bring some teamwork into the game

Upvote 0
Yes it was confirmed, stationary tripod.

I however do not like the idea as for example, if is placed at an objective chokepoint and then the frontline moves, what good is that tripod going to be them? Similarly how weird would it be for Russians who capture the Objective then advanced having an Mg tripod facing their direction where they cant just pick it up and use it for something useful instead of just sitting there pointing at them as they run past.

Sturm

Upvote 0
They are the same guy, and they also carry a weapon.

During World War II, it was usually two or more soldiers who had the task to transport, protect, and shoot. I think it would be kinda cool if you had to be at least two or three players in a "MG-Squad" to be able to use the Heavy MG.

Squad Leader in cooperation with the Commander should have the ability to give commands to the various squads, where all members of the squad should have an icon on the overview map and mini map. Maybe something like Push-to-talk "wireless communications" between the squad leader and commander too. I don't know :)

Upvote 0
Carrying tripod and supporting the MG is the same case as team tanking. It requires some communication and inteligence above leming level. So, 80% of current RO players are not able to comprehend the idea, but the remaining 20% can really take advantage of it.
I would love to carry a tripod and assist MG gunner (protecting him, spotting targets at long range using binoculars - I think there should be some indicator where the MG squad leader is looking, because you cannot just point finger in game at a distant fallen tree with 3 enemy infantrymen hiding beneath it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally think it would be cool to do that, more immersion in the game. Would deifnatly require more teamwork and coordination which are always +'s :cool:

The game is supposed to work in public matches.. this feature would never make it in, and as i said the fun factor is equal to none except for a few folks who might find it enjoyable to hold up an ammo belt and carry a tripod..

Upvote 0
The game is supposed to work in public matches.. this feature would never make it in, and as i said the fun factor is equal to none except for a few folks who might find it enjoyable to hold up an ammo belt and carry a tripod..

What's enjoyable in capping points? What's enjoyable with resupplying MGs? Damn, what is enjoyable in carrying the flag in some other games? The fun is not in carrying the tripod, but in helping the team effort by obeing the orders of SL, avoiding the enemy and after you set up the tripod in requested position you are free to go. It wouldn't be fixed to your hands, you know...

Reactions: heady89
Upvote 0
Doubt it, who wants to run around only carrying a tripod..
It's almost as "fun" as having a guy holding the ammo belt for a heavy mg..

That could actually work, there could be a backup MG class or something similar, where the backup MG carries the tripod, holds the ammo belt, passes ammo, spots etc.

Actually that might be kind of boring, but it would still be really cool seeing actual MG nests ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's enjoyable in capping points? What's enjoyable with resupplying MGs? Damn, what is enjoyable in carrying the flag in some other games? The fun is not in carrying the tripod, but in helping the team effort by obeing the orders of SL, avoiding the enemy and after you set up the tripod in requested position you are free to go. It wouldn't be fixed to your hands, you know...

The difference is umm kinda significant , if your gonna be like that you could just as well implement anything and dont give a **** about the "gameplay vs fun" concept.

Make someone a mechanic and make him wash tanks... or work at a factory and produce ammo, after all its a part of the the whole war machine isnt it?..

Upvote 0