• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your top 5 tips for newbies

This may be silly to everyone else, but I find a good thing to do is during waves, with plenty of time left; Harm yourself. Not by using grenades but with environments.
In Icebreaker, there's a trader between two stairs; If you jump off the top of those stairs you hurt yourself; Keep doing that while a Medic heals you so they can clock up extra heal points.
It's better than doing nothing; Surely, you could go to the stronghold-area and get ready... But, it's best to stick with your team; And sometimes your team buys stuff, really, really slow.

Upvote 0
4. On PAT wave do not weld the doors
I've tired to explain this. Just do not weld. If you want details, search the internet.

Actually I think that point needs expanding. WElding doors closed does give you warning as the patriarch will blow them up. However simply closing doors gives you some warning and means they won't get broken. So is generally preferable.

Then again if the patriarch ends up having to use all his rockets on doors, he can't fire them at your team...

Once the patriarch strikes it can be very effective to have someone close and partially weld the door while the rest of the team lets him have it.

Then he'll try to run off to heal, get caught on a welded door and goes down in an instant. Works particularly well on maps like Bioticslab

Upvote 0
JCoquillon, you are absolutely right. Sometimes welding in PAT wave gives dividends (like stopping the healing run), but you must be absolutely sure what you are doing. But, as you can read from topic, this is a tip for newbies. So it's better for them to stay away from welding in the final wave. Cause most of them just start welding doors near pipebombs or too close to the players.

Upvote 0
Scrakes don't have explosive resistance. They take more explosives to kill than an FP because they lack an explosives vulnerability and have more health in 6-man, but they're no more resistant to explosives than a bloat.

You can try 5-player game (when scrakes health equals to FP) and you will see that scrake needs more explosive damage to kill than FP.
Another test: Headshot with a LAW. It makes double damage (if you don't believe, ask commando friend to check health bar). Now let's do simple calculation. Scrake's head in 6p suicidal game has 2267hp. LAW's rocket base damage now is 950. Level6 Demolition has +60% damage, so it's 1520. Multiplied by 2 = 3040. So if scrake hadn't explosive resistance, he supposed to die after 1 rocket headshot. But in fact he just stuns and needs some additional damage to die.

Upvote 0
You can try 5-player game (when scrakes health equals to FP) and you will see that scrake needs more explosive damage to kill than FP.
Another test: Headshot with a LAW. It makes double damage (if you don't believe, ask commando friend to check health bar). Now let's do simple calculation. Scrake's head in 6p suicidal game has 2267hp. LAW's rocket base damage now is 950. Level6 Demolition has +60% damage, so it's 1520. Multiplied by 2 = 3040. So if scrake hadn't explosive resistance, he supposed to die after 1 rocket headshot. But in fact he just stuns and needs some additional damage to die.
You may want to read this.

Upvote 0

In addition to the link that Rainbow has posted, this is why there is an SDK. If you had bothered to take a look, you'll see that explosives cannot do damage to the head unless the rocket is a dud, which only deals out 200 damage. On top of that, the 2x head shot multiplier is only used with the rocket is a dud. Explosive head shots are another can of worms but the math works out to be ~92% more damage which again, does not affect head health. You'll also notice there is no mention of explosive damage types in the scrake code while the fleshpound code explicitly lists out all explosive damage types and scales damage accordingly.

This is a perfect example of why you don't come to conclusions based solely on in game observations or from whatever info you pulled from the inaccurate KF Wiki.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pipe bombs that blow up this way can set off OTHER pipe bombs, causing a chain reaction that's killed many a newbie demoman.

Form what I see is chain reaction will only affect hand nades, GLs, husk fireballs or any rockets (including patty's one).

And pipe bombs will be set off by pattys rocket. And I never able to set off teamate's pipebombs by any method I know... And if I place two pipes next to each other, I shoot to set off one of them, the other one is still there...

This actually should not happen IMO... how can explosives not exploding when 10 freaking granades blows up on top of it????

Upvote 0
Form what I see is chain reaction will only affect hand nades, GLs, husk fireballs or any rockets (including patty's one).

And pipe bombs will be set off by pattys rocket. And I never able to set off teamate's pipebombs by any method I know... And if I place two pipes next to each other, I shoot to set off one of them, the other one is still there...

This actually should not happen IMO... how can explosives not exploding when 10 freaking granades blows up on top of it????
actually, for some reason, it seems like pipes set off by the patty will set off other pipes. I recall once a very, very well piped corridor all being set off at once by a rocket on one end, leading to the death of a demoman on the other end.

Upvote 0
I just checked SDK. I was right, but my arguments were wrong. Now I'll try to explain it.
What I'd tried to prove:
Don't waste explosive ammunition on scrakes (except maybe LAW).
With the same amount of health (on 5p game) scrake takes more explosive damage than FP
My arguments:
[WRONG] Scrake has damage resistance to explosives
[WRONG] LAW makes double damage on explosive headshots
True arguments:
FP has explosive damage bonuses (except LAW) - that's why he dies faster
Explosive shot to the head or upper body deals ~2x damage, but to the body, not the head (I still don't know why).​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just checked SDK. I was right, but my arguments were wrong. Now I'll try to explain it.
What I'd tried to prove:
Don't waste explosive ammunition on scrakes (except maybe LAW).
With the same amount of health (on 5p game) scrake takes more explosive damage than FP
My arguments:
[WRONG] Scrake has damage resistance to explosives
[WRONG] LAW makes double damage on explosive headshots
True arguments:
FP has explosive damage bonuses (except LAW) - that's why he dies faster
Explosive shot to the head or upper body deals ~2x damage, but to the body, not the head (I still don't know why).​

actually, the FP still has a weakness to the LAW, just less so than other explosives. (If I recall correctly)

And explosives don't harm the head because if they did, than explosives would suddenly cause heads of nearby clots to randomly explode, and the whole thing doesnt look right if your explosives decapitate. That, and suddenly explosives would be waay more poweful​

Upvote 0
Explosive shot to the head or upper body deals ~2x damage, but to the body, not the head (I still don't know why).

All of the explosive damage types have:
Code:
bCheckForHeadShots=False
This means the checks for head shots, head shot bonuses, head health, and all of that is ignored when the monster code is calculating damage. Like I said earlier, explosive head shots is another can of worms but it's there and my best guess is because hitting the head triggers damage to be processed twice.

actually, the FP still has a weakness to the LAW, just less so than other explosives. (If I recall correctly)

No he doesn't. Law does unscaled damage to fleshpounds and it's been that way since at least the Level Up Update.

Upvote 0
1. Rambo's Die in all games that are not titled Rambo.

2. Closing the door and welding teammates out
will probly get you killed in later waves.

3. If a server says lvl 5+ required it probly means you
need to be that lvl to be in there or you will be kicked

4. Healing eachother gets you more health than healing
yourself. So heal eachother.

Last but not least.

5. If you ask for money and die every round then ask
for more money chances are your not going to get it
after a while. Dont complain its not them its u.

P.S.
LvL 5 and 6 is for Suicidal and HOE if your not that lvl you shouldnt be there
:D

Upvote 0
~ Run with your knife out

~ Stay away from anything resembling stairs, or an incline, they will get you killed

~ Start on Normal. Because you are pro at CoD does not mean you can jump in suicidal and HoE games. In fact you will die, by a clot, within 20 seconds.

~ Don't be a douche to the medic, or he/she won't heal you

~ If you spam the "I need some money" command it will result in people being pissed at you and nobody will give you anything.

Upvote 0
~ Run with your knife out

~ Stay away from anything resembling stairs, or an incline, they will get you killed

~ Start on Normal. Because you are pro at CoD does not mean you can jump in suicidal and HoE games. In fact you will die, by a clot, within 20 seconds.

~ Don't be a douche to the medic, or he/she won't heal you

~ If you spam the "I need some money" command it will result in people being pissed at you and nobody will give you anything.

very wise words in a first post. mosltov :cool:

Upvote 0
1. Learn to kite if playing with melee weapons

2. Don't be shy on grenades, just be sure to stay away from the blast radius of your grenades

3. Use chokepoints to your advantage

4. Don't put pipe bombs in front of a defended corridor, as minor zeds will waste expensive mines, instead, retreat if a FP is incoming so only he activates it

5. Learn to retreat before when you get surrounded, if you get grabbed it's probably too late

Upvote 0
#1 STAY TOGETHER!
- You've seen the movies and you've probably heard this hundreds of times, but no one seems to bother trying it. Staying in a group is very important. Don't go solo and start camping, thinking you have it made until a Fleshpound corners you. Combine your firepower with your team's; that is the way to survive a mission. Dividing the group or going solo will weaken your team as each splinter group is effortlessly overrun.

#2 "Run or shoot? RUN OR SHOOT?" "BOTH!"
- The majority of infected can move terrifyingly fast when they catch sight of you. Always backpedal if they begin to converge towards you. The sooner the better; your equipment makes you incredibly slow compared to them, and you want to make as much distance as possible.

#3 "I like the big ones, don't you?" "Uh, no actually, I don't."
- Since the idea is to keep in one big group, your weaponry should be extremely varied. If someone's got a GL, you probably should look for another weapon. Despite how appealing it is, 6 people with GLs doesn't work. Sure, you'll frag up lesser mutants, but once the Gorefasts start rolling in, you're in trouble. There should be MGs, Shotties, and GLs present in your group at each wave. Don't forget to save your money; if you think you can manage with one HC rather than two, then do it. Believe me, it's rewarding once you get that AA-12 or SCAR for the last wave/Patriarch.

#4 Target Priority (E.G, DON'T SHOOT THE FLIPPING FLESHPOUND)
- Target priority is essential in a horde survival game. You're natural instict is to shoot the big ones, right? Well get over it. Eventually, you'll learn which are the most powerful/dangerous, in the meantime, always shoot whatever's closest (Spider mutants and Clots, typically( and whatever's fastest (Gorefasts). Once you've taken out the sheet of lesser mutants and the speeding Gorefasts, you'll be left with a splinter of Scrakes and the like. They'll be much easier to take out as they lumber towards you, as you won't have to worry about a block of Clots absorbing the shots or a Gorefast sprinting at you.

#5 Combine fire against the big ones
- Scrakes are fairly underestimated. They move as fast as a Gorefast once they start taking damage, and have only a little less killing power than the dreaded Fleshpound. If you see a Scrake or an FP, notify your team and run for the hills (Make sure to stick together with your teammates though). Your team should combine fire against a single Scrake/FP at a time, bringing them down one at a time quickly. It really works; I've done it many times.

Upvote 0