• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make "np" a default

RJ_MacReady

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Poland
I don't quite understand why TWI didn't make "forgive TK" the default answer for TK-victim. About 99% of TKs are accidental and in every 99 out of 100 times I am team-killed, I have to type that "np" (so-called) word to forgive my unfortunate fellow team mate, who happened to kill me. Why not make this "np" answer the default one? I don't get it. Or eliminate it completely.
It's so annoying...

Last edited:
I am not sure the invisible np makes a difference in points like it should. Killing a bot triggers the forgive message that should have been displayed when a human player types it in. I still type it the usual 4 or 5 times but that is only to let the other player know that I forgave him.

Upvote 0
I don't agree with you. Why complicate this even more?

That's not complicated, that's actually pretty straightforward and it worked fine in RO1.

A "complaint" option would be just as liable to be abused as this, but this one, if working, actually introduces a much needed etiquette and a much more relaxed attitude to accidental tks than not having anything (as can presently be seen in RO2).

Upvote 0
There's a server setting for this, just turn off the friendly fire autokick. That's all the forgive system is used for, anyway.

Automatically forgiving the killer is undermining the purpose of the system. Most TKs result from poor situational awareness or poor fire discipline, and that needs to be penalized at some level that is relevant to the player. A tiny score penalty is not relevant, but getting an enforced time-out is. The default threshold is fairly large, so if you're racking up so much friendly fire that you're getting autokicked, then a poke from the game to tell you that you really need to work on that is entirely warranted.

Personally, I don't care if someone is "sorry". Being sorry doesn't make a blatantly stupid TK any less stupid, and it deserves to be chalked up as an error. If I've gotten myself TKed through my own risky actions, like charging out of smoke from the enemy side towards friendly positions, then they shouldn't be sorry anyway, because they didn't do anything wrong; it was my fault, and I can own up to that without needing an unwarranted apology from them.

Upvote 0