• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Weapon was shot out of your hands"

I'm going to shock you now.

I play a lot of different games. Hardcore, casual, arcade, arena and everything in between.

People can like different games for different reasons, and not buy into the whole dick-waving competition that goes on between genres, devs and fans. I like RO2 more than any shooter I've played since BF2, over something like 6 years ago. That doesn't mean everything else out there that doesn't fit one niche definition of shooter is **** and deserves no attention, no respect or no consideration. I mean, just look at how being an eltist prick about FPSs has left some in this community. Backed into a corner and hating on the devs they used to love.

Why would I ever want to pigeon hole myself like that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because the CoD community wouldn't appreciate having their gun shot out of their hand. The entire game is pandering to the mainstream shooter community.

Same reason why you no longer have to pick up ammo with a new gun.

quiet-sign.jpg

Unless you actually have something decent to say that isn't generic whiny BS about how "everyones going mainstream".

Having your helmet shot off could really add to the tension too. Just those nice little tidbits that could be added alongside the maps and tanks (and hopefully the MG42) in the updates later on if not sooner.

I'm going to shock you now.

I play a lot of different games. Hardcore, casual, arcade, arena and everything in between.

People can like different games for different reasons, and not buy into the whole dick-waving competition that goes on between genres, devs and fans. I like RO2 more than any shooter I've played since BF2, over something like 6 years ago. That doesn't mean everything else out there that doesn't fit one niche definition of shooter is **** and deserves no attention, no respect or no consideration. I mean, just look at how being an eltist prick about FPSs has left some in this community. Backed into a corner and hating on the devs they used to love.

Why would I ever want to pigeon hole myself like that?
Here here, even though I can't stand CoD and others like it, just not my kind of game.
What's that song Total Biscuit came up with? Oh yea-
"It's okay to not like things
It's okay but don't be a dick about it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not up for tracking down the post right now, but one of the TW guys explained the reason in another thread. Apparently they found that most players would, when crippled by localized damage, simply suicide to get around the effect rather than play with the handicap. Thus TWI figured "Why bother?"

Yeah, but the effect lasted only a few seconds then, didn't it? Even then it changed a lot and nobody seemed to care about the "healing." If I were TWI, I'd keep this feature, in fact, it'd work an awful lot better with the bandaging system. At the moment, bandaging is "patch this up RIGHT NOW or die."

Upvote 0
Which...there still needs to be some of that. Somehow I think that wound effects like speed reduction should be more permanent. Bandaging shouldn't take away the effect, but maybe it could reduce it's impact.

So let's say getting shot in the leg is a maximum 60% speed reduction for 30 seconds, reduced to 35% afterward. When bandaged, the speed reduction is further reduced to 20% (and you're not bleeding to death.)

Your speed will be reduced by 20% until you die.

This way, they could extend bleedout time for wounds to extremities to 30 seconds, 45 seconds, even a minute or more.

Then we could apply that same logic to rifle sway...overall stamina...scope up time....and that would all be a nice counter point to all the passive increases we're getting to this stuff through the unlock system.

Upvote 0
in RO1 we had fingers of steel! just needed to pick up the weapon :)

Assuming it hadn't fallen through the map somewhere. And then came the real fun... finding the dropped ammo ;)

Personally now the ammo is effectively linked to the weapon, I don't see much issue with this feature returning. But it sure as hell better be less common than it was in RO1. It should be something rare, yet in RO1 it happened very very often.

Upvote 0
Because the CoD community wouldn't appreciate having their gun shot out of their hand. The entire game is pandering to the mainstream shooter community.

Same reason why you no longer have to pick up ammo with a new gun.

Im not a CoD fangirl, but I was never a fan of the WSOOH feature and am glad to see the back of it. I don't think it added anything to the game, and I found it annoying both when I was the victim and when I was the one who managed to shoot the gun out of someone else's hand.

When I was the victim, it was just annoying. You are left in the battle with no weapon, and due to the stupid pickup system which never worked properly, picking up your gun again was a complete pain in the arse. With that in mind, you were often a dead many anyway, as the enemy had time to simply shoot you again whilst you scrabbled around for your weapon. So, why bother? It was just annoying, I would rather just been cleanly killed and respawn.

When I was the aggressor, it was also annoying. You'd shoot someones gun out of their hand and it was just irritating. It added nothing to the game being able to do it. I never thought "wow, I can try and shoot their gun out of their hands!". Why bother? I would jsut aim to kill. Being denied a kill because of this feature and then having to waste another bullet just to finish them seemed pointless and irritating.

Add to this that sometimes, if you shot a sniper, he might drop his rifle, but switch to his pistol automatically. So now, while you are desperately working your own bolt, he has a pistol magically appear in his hands and justs...shoots you back. That was annoying and made me feel cheated - to have the drop on someome and suddenly they have the advantage over you when you shoot them because of the weapon switch mechanics.

I appreciate the effort TWI put into the details of their games and including features, but this one brought nothing to the table in my opinion, so Im glad it's been removed.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I get to see only the weapon pointing out of a window or from other cover. If they hide behind sandbags I also can't shoot them through their cover so I can only shoot their gun but atm that doesn't do anything. if you hit a gun with a strong caliber it should be destroyed imo. A poll would be nice but I doubt it will be implemented anyway.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I get to see only the weapon pointing out of a window or from other cover. If they hide behind sandbags I also can't shoot them through their cover so I can only shoot their gun but atm that doesn't do anything. if you hit a gun with a strong caliber it should be destroyed imo. A poll would be nice but I doubt it will be implemented anyway.

It won't be implemented because it's pretty ridiculous.

Yes, a gun would be damaged if it was struck by a high caliber bullet.

No, adding a mechanism for players to actively target gun barrels sticking out of windows is not the way to make the game more realistic...

Nobody in the history of warfare has ever tried to shoot someone's gun barrel.

Upvote 0
Yes, that made for some great moments in ROOST. Why was it even removed?

---
I guess it wasn't accessible enough! This game is all about making things that are easy in real life easier in game. I mean, if you get shot in the foot in real life, it's eas.... wait, hmm.

Yeah, no idea.

Reactions: EchoJ7
Upvote 0
Im not a CoD fangirl, but I was never a fan of the WSOOH feature and am glad to see the back of it. I don't think it added anything to the game, and I found it annoying both when I was the victim and when I was the one who managed to shoot the gun out of someone else's hand.

When I was the victim, it was just annoying. You are left in the battle with no weapon, and due to the stupid pickup system which never worked properly, picking up your gun again was a complete pain in the arse. With that in mind, you were often a dead many anyway, as the enemy had time to simply shoot you again whilst you scrabbled around for your weapon. So, why bother? It was just annoying, I would rather just been cleanly killed and respawn.

When I was the aggressor, it was also annoying. You'd shoot someones gun out of their hand and it was just irritating. It added nothing to the game being able to do it. I never thought "wow, I can try and shoot their gun out of their hands!". Why bother? I would jsut aim to kill. Being denied a kill because of this feature and then having to waste another bullet just to finish them seemed pointless and irritating.

Add to this that sometimes, if you shot a sniper, he might drop his rifle, but switch to his pistol automatically. So now, while you are desperately working your own bolt, he has a pistol magically appear in his hands and justs...shoots you back. That was annoying and made me feel cheated - to have the drop on someome and suddenly they have the advantage over you when you shoot them because of the weapon switch mechanics.

I appreciate the effort TWI put into the details of their games and including features, but this one brought nothing to the table in my opinion, so Im glad it's been removed.

it did obviously bring something to the table, it's also annoying to get killed but i'd rather keep that feature in as well.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0