• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bodyshot VS Headshot

There's a body health separate to total health? :confused:
I thought it was just total health and head health?

You're right, there is only 2 kinds of health: head health and health. Health is typically referred to as body health or total health to indicate separation from head health. I have no idea how Blockbot concluded that there are 3 types of health.

Upvote 0
Edit: I just did a little experiment. I might not like the result, but here it is. Starting with zero experience, I bullpup headshotted a normal clot, he died, I ran for a bit, check my stats, and I had 99 damage. I bullpup bodyshot another normal clot, ran for a bit, checked my stats again, and I had 229 damage.

So the bodyshot kill yielded 30% more damage in this case, which seems indicative that bodyshot exp > greater than headshot exp in general. Dang. But still, what I said about stalkers applies, probably, and what i said about not being a drag on the team definitely applies. Go for headshots, please.
Decap and cut down, problem solved :)

Oh right, I didn't try that before.
Before a decap & cut down, I had 489 damage, after, 619.
Same circumstances as the previous test, same level/weapon/difficulty/zed. Same game, even.

That's 130, same experience gain as the bodyshot damage, but with 3/5ths the ammo. So I suppose that'd be acceptable for a leveling commando to do; but saving those 2 bullets and letting them bleed out is still the better option for gameplay.

Also something to note, 130 is the total health of a normal clot, the experiment subject. So unless it bleeds out or someone helps, you get exactly the same experience as their total health, it seems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a body health separate to total health? :confused:
I thought it was just total health and head health?

Anyway, going for headshots when you can is better for gameplay/strategy/doing your part for the team, and while playing the game either way, the limiting factor towards leveling up is your stalker kills, so it's a fool's errand to avoid headshots.

If you absolutely must get commando damage, bodyshot the last bloat of a wave or something instead of being a drag on the team all the time.

Hmm, I have a 0 experience commando on my new second account; maybe I'll try leveling that up for a while trying to use just headshots and see if damage ever becomes more important to leveling than stalker kills.

Edit: I just did a little experiment. I might not like the result, but here it is. Starting with zero experience, I bullpup headshotted a normal clot, he died, I ran for a bit, check my stats, and I had 99 damage. I bullpup bodyshot another normal clot, ran for a bit, checked my stats again, and I had 229 damage.

So the bodyshot kill yielded 30% more damage in this case, which seems indicative that bodyshot exp > greater than headshot exp in general. Dang. But still, what I said about stalkers applies, probably, and what i said about not being a drag on the team definitely applies. Go for headshots, please.

When you headshot the Clot, did you merely decapitate it and let it walk around aimlessly? If so, then you didn't get full damage for that reason. Only if you instantaneously kill the Zed with the decapitation do you net full damage.

Upvote 0
You also have to think about your teammates competing for kills against you. There's also kills over time to think about. In the first case, you'd want headshots since you'd kill them faster and can move on to the next specimen. In the second case, it's the same thing. Headshots allow you to kill things faster, which means you'll get a greater ratio of the kills in your team as well as spawn specimens faster for you to kill.

Upvote 0