• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Inventory System in RO2?

This is not a suggestion thread at all. Rather, I seem to recall John Gibson mentioning that you can carry as many pieces of equipment as your character can, but you will suffer weight penalties. Does this mean that RO2 will have an item inventory system, now that there is no real limit as to how many guns you can carry?

Personally I always thought it was kind of dumb how in RO1 you couldn't carry your SMG but then take a rifle along with you just in case you needed it. Of course this would be tiring, but real soldiers did it when they needed to.

This is something I'm really curious about. Discuss.

Hockeywarrior speaks the truth. I imagine there to be some sort of limit to the number weapons you can carry (3-4 maybe)...will be interesting to see how that pans out. I can't see you being alive enough to accrue more than 1 rifle and 1 smg, but we'll have to see.
It's not just about rifles or SMGs though. Like what if I want to take along 4 grenades after seeing them on the ground? But then an officer dies and I want to use his binoculars. Then I see a bag of SMG rounds on the ground and grab them because my friend might need some ammo.

See where I'm going with this?

Upvote 0
I like it. Though the interface would need to be clever so you don't have to sit in your inventory forever just to take out a gun. Might be nice to have weight/slots so you can carry extra bandages or ammunition at a very slight expense of player movement and animation speed.

Perhaps an inventory customization? Allowing you to take extra ammo, extra grenades, or extra bandages at the expense of your carrying weight. Likewise it'd be awesome if you could choose to carry spare MG ammo belts (50 rounds) or boxes (50+ rounds) to to resupply MG34/42 gunners with, or Anti tank grenades/contraptions (though there'd need to be a limited number of such items for the entire team). rather than each class having a static set of alternate weapons and utilities, you could choose whether or not to take certain things, and you could choose what quantity you want certain items to be in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like it. Though the interface would need to be clever so you don't have to sit in your inventory forever just to take out a gun. Might be nice to have weight/slots so you can carry extra bandages or ammunition at a very slight expense of player movement and animation speed.

Perhaps an inventory customization? Allowing you to take extra ammo, extra grenades, or extra bandages at the expense of your carrying weight. Likewise it'd be awesome if you could choose to carry spare MG ammo belts (50 rounds) or boxes (50+ rounds) to to resupply MG34/42 gunners with, or Anti tank grenades/contraptions.
Exactly! It would lend an element of planning before the battle (that is realistic) and also add to in-battle gameplay by giving the player more options in a greater variety of situations.

There would definitely have to be slots so that you don't have to fumble with your inventory in game and to avoid things feeling clunky. Interface would be very important. But I can see it totally being with the extra effort.

Upvote 0
It's not just about rifles or SMGs though. Like what if I want to take along 4 grenades after seeing them on the ground? But then an officer dies and I want to use his binoculars. Then I see a bag of SMG rounds on the ground and grab them because my friend might need some ammo.

See where I'm going with this?

Well we haven't really heard anything about ammo-supply, or sharing, so *shrugs*

Same goes for picking up a dead guys knockers.

Upvote 0
Exactly! It would lend an element of planning before the battle (that is realistic) and also add to in-battle gameplay by giving the player more options in a greater variety of situations.

There would definitely have to be slots so that you don't have to fumble with your inventory in game and to avoid things feeling clunky. Interface would be very important. But I can see it totally being with the extra effort.

Yeah.

There could be maybe five slots. (primary, secondary, primary grenade, item 1, item 2) The items could include bandages, binoculars, spare ammunition (for yourself), spare MG belts, spare 14mm ammunition, and special weapons like improvised anti-tank grenades, or maybe Molotov cocktails :}

If you decide to pick up a second primary weapon, it could require your secondary weapon slot and the two item slots, that way it'd be a tactical decision, you'd need to ditch bandages or extra ammunition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've always thought an animation for patting around the torso rummaging for supplies would be cool. Possibly a sort of menu shows up horizontally listing the items (with a picture of each) on the body that you can take, and maybe bind each item to 1-0 on the keyboard, pressing a number confirms you want the item, pressing again unconfirms, and then have another button that has you exit the menu and take what you selected.

It's just a though I figured I'd throw out there...

Upvote 0
I recall John saying something to the effect that you could carry what you wanted, but would have to pay the price in movement because of the weight. ( There may be a limit of course. ) My assumption was that aside from the standard loadout for your class, all of the rest of the items were 'picked up'. I assume that to mean from corpses.

Iirc, no longer can weapons be shot from your hand.

I don't know about "sharing". I hope not. One of the things I hated about RO:OST was that one could for example spawn as a sniper/mg, pass out a sniper rifle or mg, then suicide, repeat, repeat. Some people would take advantage of certain classes in certain maps....

Upvote 0
That would kick :IS2:, as long as its done right, it would be cool for instance to carry a rifle and smg for defending, if you're not moving around alot, or as a commander for instance to not have a main weapon and only a pistol so you can move a little bit faster than everyone else to lead them in a big charge.

I do think there should be limits, maybe 6 items total? No spawning with 2 main guns, only certain classes and higher ranked players get pistols, and then bandages, extra ammo, grenades ETC can be to the players liking.

Upvote 0
I'm not very fond of people running around with multiple weapons. It should for most part only be a valid tactic when defending and changing from rifle to smg or vice versa should take way more time then changing to a pistol or grenade.

I would think that having a rifle, smg and pistol would decrease you ammo count for all guns. I dont really have a problem with people picking up other guns, its not like smgs are the main gun so not everyone will end up with 3 guns. pistol would be a real treat to find oh and binocs.

Upvote 0
Don't like this idea. How many soldiers in WWII carried more than one primary weapon during combat? Not many I would think. Having half the players run around with a rifle and SMG would just kill the immersion and get in the way of the dedicated classes.

Sure you can carry two rifles on your back and one in your hand, but it is not practical at all. I'm sure you can even carry an MG42 on your back with a Mosin in your hands. But, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Picking up a sidearm? Maybe an extra grenade and more ammo than you spawned with? That seems fine. But I don't want to see people running around with a sniper rifle, SMG, pistol, and semi auto rifle.

Reactions: 213
Upvote 0
Having extra weapons should be penalized accordingly but I do like the idea of being able to carry ammo/different types of grenades etc(Why can't we pick up smoke and HE nades in RO1? Doesn't make sense). Back in the mod, I used to share ammo when all the magazines/clips were dropped separately but you can't do that now. This would allow more team play for those games where ammo might matter(1 life games anyone?)

Upvote 0
Don't like this idea. How many soldiers in WWII carried more than one primary weapon during combat?........
Picking up a sidearm? Maybe an extra grenade and more ammo than you spawned with? That seems fine. But I don't want to see people running around with a sniper rifle, SMG, pistol, and semi auto rifle.

I very highly doubt you can carry more then 2 guns for 3 is one is just a pistol; and they will make it ballanced like less ammo, slow speeds so most poeple will not be running around with lots of stuff.

I cant really see the problem with picking up an smg and cleaaring out a house then ditching it and just keep my rifle.

Plus we know that the rifle is the main gun, so things like sniper, smg and pistols will not just be picked up all the time since there will not be enough to go around.

Upvote 0
while he said somthing about this your are way off on what he meant see where you fell off the horse was when he said you can PICK UP as many weapons as you want with restricted weight limit it doesn't mean you can start with whatever you want i assume the class system will be back but you can now pick up dead peoples primaries. or whatever. :D

also realistically this won't be like call of duty why do you want ti to be call of duty.

Upvote 0
No way for multiple weapons, not practical. Carrying different types of ammo is just unnecessary.

This is not the modern day marine corps, this is a bunch of scraggly, worn out fighters in a burned out ruin of a city "practicality" has a whole other meaning. When your ammunition supplies are constantly low and you never know how long you're going to be stuck inside a building waiting for enemy contact, it's always practical to pick up enemy weapons and ammunition.

Upvote 0
I also like an inventory system showing one slot each for Primary weapon, Seconday weapon, explosives, ammo.

I always found it unrealistic that you can carry more then your personal equipment during a battle.
ie; A player should carry his main weapon, a side-arm if equiped, a couple grenades, one AT weapon ( faust, zook ), binos if equiped.

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0