• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Epithany About "Magic" Zoom. Read if you hate it.

But it's a game that strives for realism. Yes, there are practical limitations. The perception of the player shouldn't be one of them. No one wants to limited to a 1/4th of their vision.

It also doesn't blur the line between any classes. A machine gun still has accurate volume fire. A sniper can still pick and choose high value targets. Riflemen still take and hold ground. Assault still pushes through the enemy line and causes confusion.

-Paas

Reactions: Graphic
Upvote 0
Come one... please. This is a game and no discussion about how it was in real life. If it was a sim, you only had one single life - overall. This feature ruins the good old ro gameplay and blurs gaps between classes. They wanted to improve gameplay, but they changed it extensively. This part is a simple fail.

I beg your pardon, but if this was a game there would be weapon pickups scattered around the level. TWI has given us rifles with sights that range out to 2000 meters. There is no reason to think TWI isn't trying to make as much as they can how it was in real life while still retaining gameplay. RO1 had flawed gameplay because of the fisheye camera and resulting zoomed-out gameplay. We were seeing less that we should have. The old gameplay was never good with regards to long-range engagements and now we have a far better bolt-action rifle simulation. What's not to love unless your "sniping" at a measley 200m is more important than realistic weapon employment?

Shoot at 400-700 meters like a real sniper.

Upvote 0
I hate bench/rest shooting because its more a display of the rifles ability than your own IMO.

Drives me nuts too, as a newbie at the range, I could quickly hit head sized targets at 250yds sitting at a bench with a modern B/A hunting rifle. In the field, I could probably do reasonably well prone, but sitting or standing? It's pretty friggen hard if you don't have something to brace against. Let alone add in being out of breath, scared or ill/injured.

I think the zoom is fine, a man sized target is pretty big IRL at a 100m, as earlier suggested, go somewhere, pace off the distance and check it out. But, I'd like more "human" influence in the dispersion over distance, more sway depending on your stance and condition etc. To fan the flames, I'll just say ARMA does this part of it pretty accurately IMO and that part of it is still plenty "gamey" and fun to me. :p

Upvote 0

A good post, but I doubt it will sway the hardcore haters of the feature. The most respected (in terms of "realism") military simulator ArmA/ArmA2 uses the same sort of zoom to represent both focus and actual field of vision in real life. The use the same engine and game mechanics in their sims that they supply to actual military.

However, the actual zoom effect sways less than adequate thinkers into believing its some magical nonsense, as if anything that makes the game "easier", is in somehow detrimental to the integrity of the game.

Hence the cry for no minimap for to show friendlys, no hud etc. Use voip you nutters if you want a decent experience! Then complain about the minimap!

When in real life you have innumerate more means of feedback. Your comrades orders, your training, your human sense of the world around you. If the devs heeded the call for realism, they'd have to implement animations for you to check your pockets for ammo, look at your select fire switch, make entire animations for taking your weapon apart to find the problem with it. It's just not viable, and really not fun for all but the most delusional.

tl:dr, A great post Wes, and if it stopped one post of rage, you've done a good job.

Upvote 0
If the devs heeded the call for realism, they'd have to implement animations for you to check your pockets for ammo, look at your select fire switch, make entire animations for taking your weapon apart to find the problem with it...

break into your house and stuff you into a freezer simulating the winter of that year...

Have a political officer stand behind you making sure you never step backwards...

If you die, you have to buy the game again...

;)

Upvote 0