• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF - Pandoras Box

Yeh yeh all my fun adding more oooze has been ruined by more bug fixing. It's being sorted <_<

If it's any help, the same thing happened in the mod, when changing from my map, to another high resource map(WestLondon, or some custom maps). The server would crash. My guesses is high resource rate. Until it's fixed, maybe try changing to a less resourceful map, Farm for example.

A good old Crash Log would be *really* handy, pretty please, just the last few lines should be fine :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeh yeh all my fun adding more oooze has been ruined by more bug fixing. It's being sorted <_<

If it's any help, the same thing happened in the mod, when changing from my map, to another high resource map(WestLondon, or some custom maps). The server would crash. My guesses is high resource rate. Until it's fixed, maybe try changing to a less resourceful map, Farm for example.

A good old Crash Log would be *really* handy, pretty please, just the last few lines should be fine :)

Here's the section from the log where the map was changed to another...

Log: PlayAnim: Sequence 'DeathL' not found for mesh 'british_soldier_chris'
ScriptLog: ProcessServerTravel: KF-Arcade-Shopping-Center-final?Game=KFMod.KFGameType
ScriptLog: PreClientTravel
Log: Server switch level: KF-Arcade-Shopping-Center-final?Game=KFMod.KFGameType
Log: Browse: KF-Arcade-Shopping-Center-final?Name=[TW]Xienen2?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corporal_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M?deathmessagemode=3?FFKillLimit=0?PreStartTime=5?TimeLimit=0?Game=KFMod.KFGameType?VACSecure=false?MinPlayers=0?
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 84.131.123.111:1227 05/20/09 23:06:02
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 80.63.223.61:64460 05/20/09 23:06:02
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 89.239.198.249:54582 05/20/09 23:06:02
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 83.89.119.182:2408 05/20/09 23:06:02
Exit: Socket shut down
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Critical: UObject::GetPathName
Critical: UObject::GetFullName
Critical: DispatchDestroy
Critical: UObject::GetFullName
Critical: DispatchDestroys
Critical: UObject::purgeGarbage
Critical: UObject::CollectGarbage
Critical: Cleanup
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LocalMapURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: ServerTravel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: Level KF-Arcade-Shopping-center
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 1 GByte 37 MByte 597 KByte 803 Bytes from HD took 0.972993 seconds (0.845993 reading, 0.127000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.424998 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 05/20/09 23:06:03

Upvote 0
Yay Crash Log \o/, Cheers.

I have no idea myself, talking to some of my mapp'y guys about it. Could be poor pathnoding, UT2004 content, etc. I don't own a server, so it's going to be hard for me to say *fixed*. But I'll try.
I'm updating the changelog for the 2nd version, you can see the changelog on the first post. Think of it as a preview, X.0 versions take a lot longer to come out than quick hotfixes.

Upvote 0
awesome map, thank you for making it and sharing it.
just noticed 1 bug. the red follow path to one of the traders takes you into a corner and goes into the ceiling, where infact the trader is behind you. all the noobs get lost and keep going round in circles lol

yea should have done more testing.
It was extremely annoying, we often couldn't even manage the first waves because of that.

Upvote 0
First off I love the map still and it's defnitely my favorite. One of my favorite parts of the map though is the dark, creepy hallways in the back. They remind me a lot of the dark, creepy, bloody walls in the Silent Hill series. I know you're working on this map a lot at the moment, but you should definitely consider making a Silent Hill themed map after this one, especially if you put the same creativity and thought into it like you did this one. Anyways, just my 2 cents:)

Upvote 0
First off I love the map still and it's defnitely my favorite. One of my favorite parts of the map though is the dark, creepy hallways in the back. They remind me a lot of the dark, creepy, bloody walls in the Silent Hill series. I know you're working on this map a lot at the moment, but you should definitely consider making a Silent Hill themed map after this one, especially if you put the same creativity and thought into it like you did this one. Anyways, just my 2 cents:)
I've never played Silent Hill before. Honestly, I'm bad at horror games. It took me months to play the Penumbra games. While mapping with that idea in mind is fun, I'd like to make something that plays well rather than looks good. I do have a LOT of ideas in mind for Pandoras Box, and it's getting rather large for a simple Bio Development Facility, so maybe it is time to start thinking of a new project after this :)

I also don't really like emulating other games, Kicker does it with Hive, and while it's fun and entertaining, it feels tacky and expected. I want originality :p

Upvote 0
Yep I just saw one of my servers crash..Fortunately we have an auto reboot batch file in place so the server just comes back but you'll need to test this and find out why it's now crashing servers...;)
Oh snap. This is probably why my server keeps ending up on BioticsLab! I've been so preoccupied focusing on the maps the server was switching TO that I failed to notice the map we were switching FROM.

Does anyone know where to find the crashlog on a GameServers box?

It should be noted, I did not have this issue with the first version of Pandora's Box. 1.5 introduced this behavior. Also, I had my server crash switching to KF-Farm last night ... so not sure if "high resource" is the issue.

I love this map. Hope you get it fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never played Silent Hill before. Honestly, I'm bad at horror games. It took me months to play the Penumbra games. While mapping with that idea in mind is fun, I'd like to make something that plays well rather than looks good. I do have a LOT of ideas in mind for Pandoras Box, and it's getting rather large for a simple Bio Development Facility, so maybe it is time to start thinking of a new project after this :)

I also don't really like emulating other games, Kicker does it with Hive, and while it's fun and entertaining, it feels tacky and expected. I want originality :p

Ok i misworded my statement lol. To put it plain and simple, my favorite part of Pandora's box is the creepy hallway, if you could get creative with a creepy as hell, dimented map that would be awesome. Like combining the dimented parts of the heresy map with the creepiness of your hallway lol. Like a dark bloody upside down cross with blood dripping that is the quality of the snow effect or like a wierd twisted religious dark torture facility..yeah i wish was more creative :( I just love that damn hallway lol. Btw yeah, i couldn't even come close to beating the Penumbras lol those are hard as hell, but give some of the Silent hill's a go they're really good and you're creative i bet they will inspire you some :)

Upvote 0
My server's been running this map since release and has NEVER crashed on it.

Just two things (the second is more like a "omg fix everything" though but oh well):
- The trader that someone mentioned before... points to ceiling? Fail.
- Sometimes spiders get stuck in the vents and dont come down at all. Luckily I think the game autokills them after a period of time (60s?) and it goes to trader at the end of the level. I guess paths need to be better or something? Or if you can shorten that time so if they do get stuck they autodie quicker that would be nice as well... I haven't done modding for KF so I don't know how it works, but I just wanted to let you know things do get stuck somewhere (usually spiders in vents is what I've noticed) where they can't be found so everyone runs around for ~60s looking for nothing...

Upvote 0
I have noticed that many of the new custom maps have the trader pointing away from where the trader really is...so complaining about that just for this map is a FAIL...if you wanna ***** about it here ***** about it for all the other maps...

Even at that a good majority of the maps dont even have the red path things that are sposed to help guide you to the trader...so yea...

---Stixsmaster

Upvote 0