• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SS overnerfed?

I gave the M14 a good run through on a 6 man, level 5 SS, normal, instead of taking the crossbow.

For the first time I had a blast with it. I practised hard with extreme distance aiming and started to pop my fair share of heads off, even at the very limit of draw distance. I think I have finally figured out that the little white dots on the iron sights are roughly where that bullet is going.

The FPs went down with many, many head shots and the scrakes, while obviously not as easy to kill with the M14 instead of a crossbow went down without too much of a fuss.

I even managed to get enough cash to buy a couple of extortionately priced pipes for Patty, without robbing the team of hard earned dosh.

All in all, while I might dream of a scope for the M14, I now at least "understand" this gun.

Upvote 0
Dodging husks fire ball is done by jumping at the right time or change your moving direction at the right time. It has nothing to do with movement speed.

Husk will still hit you if even you move fast like a berserker.

And by your logic:

If you cannot use M14 to kill everything, you are doing it wrong (because some people can).
If you cannot solo a fleshpound as medic, you are doing it wrong (because some people can).
If you cannot kill everything up to scrake as firebug, you just dont play good enough (because some firebug can).

It is no point to conisder only the top 5% players of a certain perk to say that's fine.

Honestly, that's always gonna be a problem. People get great at a perk and can't fathom how someone who's NOT great at it yet can be doing poorly. That's why you've gotta leave some room for error in the perks. Sharpshooter currently doesn't do much of that, meaning that if you're not dead-on perfect all the time, you're probably gonna end up dead.

@1st Wasted: Yes, many Berserkers use the Lever Action. But if Husks/Sirens are behind a mass of Zeds, you still can't hit them. The Lever Action doesn't have the penetration that the Crossbow does to nail a specimen behind a bunch of others. That's why a LOT of Berserkers still prefer the Crossbow.

Upvote 0
Honestly, that's always gonna be a problem. People get great at a perk and can't fathom how someone who's NOT great at it yet can be doing poorly. That's why you've gotta leave some room for error in the perks. Sharpshooter currently doesn't do much of that, meaning that if you're not dead-on perfect all the time, you're probably gonna end up dead.

@1st Wasted: Yes, many Berserkers use the Lever Action. But if Husks/Sirens are behind a mass of Zeds, you still can't hit them. The Lever Action doesn't have the penetration that the Crossbow does to nail a specimen behind a bunch of others. That's why a LOT of Berserkers still prefer the Crossbow.

Because people want only PERFECT players to beat the game. Because "the game supposed to be hard" and "random public team should NEVER win".
Everyone knows if you hit the head, you can kill things fast enough. However, no one have shown that they can have a 80%+ head shot rate. (not only on clots, stalkers and crawlers also count)

What they make sharpshooter now is, you miss ONE SINGLE HEAD SHOT, you already get hit. But hell, I can live with it. (even they half the damage every weapon, I can live with it) So, let it be, let's see how far they can get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That is true, but there are work arounds for that too. Use the LAR to kill a few of the zeds blocking the other zeds. Grenades will, kill, stun (sort of) weaker zeds, allowing the sirens, and Husks to get ahead of them, corner ambush (yes unpredictable, but it works more often than not), Use the enviroment against the zeds, such as a vehicle, tree, etc to block you from Husk, and in some cases Siren attacks. this will cause the group to get closer, casusing some zeds to come at you faster (GoreFasts), kill a few move on, tactics like this will thin out the group allowing you to target the problem zeds with the LAR.

Not saying that you are wrong, or anything like that, players use what works for them, I'm just explaining what works for me.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best thing about SS now is the $600 bow you get with it at lvl6. You have a 0% margin of error to be effective on the harder levels. Even with all the nerfing the SS is going to end up being THE elite class amongst hard core players. Every weapon in the game is effective for a good SS. No generic damage to save your ***. Hit the head or die!

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0