• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Incentives to play as Squad Leader?

Zackebacke

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 30, 2011
When playing as a squad leader, you get smokes and binoculars to mark artillery-targets, yes. But in my opinion, that's not enough. If you die, you have to spawn all the way back to default spawn (while your squadmates can spawn on you) and you don't get anything (correct me if I'm wrong on this!) for marking targets and risking your life for your commanders artillery.

I think you should get "+1 team points" when people spawn on you and assists, or maybe even kills for artillery.

Thoughts?

Reactions: BigG
I think that is a great idea. I usually run as SL because I tend to be more careful (i.e. I don't usually die as much) which allows my squad to spawn closer to the front when they spawn on me.

While that has it's own advantages as it relates to winning and/or losing the map, I LOVE the idea that SL could get rewarded for great arty placements or being careful enough to stay alive and allow squad members to spawn up front.

Great thought! :D

Upvote 0
My incentive is to win. Having somebody with smoke grenades, acts as a mobile spawn point and can mark artillery spots for the Team Leader to call in who knows what their doing goes a long way to helping the team win.

If the squad system gets sorted (say squad VoIP channel, and default squad selection screen), squad leaders may even end up leading an actual squad and be useful in that manner.

Upvote 0
Yeah definitely, it's too risky sticking your neck out for no reward, especially when the commander launches all the goodies. I think the squard leader should have his choice of load out on weapons and maybe a slightly increased running speed. Something to give him a little edge and desirability to play, otherwise like you said, the binocs are pretty much useless and you suffer more when you die, and you don't get any specialized weaponary.

Upvote 0
People treat squad leader as a class rather than a responsibility.

When playing with friends the Squad leaders are important for their ability to be spawned on. As a squad leader that is the reward. I have that ability. People can spawn on me. Which means I can hide and tell me squad what to do. Knowing that if they die trying to push they can get back to right in front of me and try again.

Upvote 0
Well what's the point of playing SL as a role if you can't rely on having your squad mates spawn within at least 30m of you? The current advice is for SL to wait for their whole squad to spawn and move to them before doing anything. That's hard to manage even with 3rd party voice comms; with pubbies it's impossible.

So SL is reduced to having a good working relationship with their commander, personal smoke grenades and their choice of weapon.

To the OP, I'm opposed to SL getting points for team mates spawning on them until it actually works. Once it actually works reliably, I'm fine with them getting +team if a team mate ends up next to them at somewhere other than the deployment zone.

Otherwise SL are basically getting points for people choosing to click a button, and little else. I mean, last night my friend playing SL stayed in the very first bottom floor room of Zab's on Pavlov's House. Out of 30 or so attempts to spawn on him, none of them succeeded. And I'd spawn 100m away at the deployment zone, even though he probably didn't have enemies around him for half the game.

Yet, somehow, the Germans who liked to sit at the top of Zab's whether they can capture or not seemed to respawn on their SL regularly. I know I met the same guy twice in the span of one minute in Zab's, after killing him.

It's just really unreliable, and I'm not of the mind to give out points for something that isn't working yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I'm thinking more of when you spot for arty and the arty gets kills. I like the idea of the SL getting a +1 assist then. And usually I do communicate with the Commander concerning arty strikes when I play SL. I force myself into their world. :D

The biggest problem is it seems that only 1 out of 3 matches will anyone take the Commander class...

Upvote 0
care to elaborate on that ?
Hey, isn't that you again? Think I played with you a couple of hours ago, I whined about some map (that I actually started to enjoy, lol).

But we all want to be squad members, so we can spawn on our squad leader instead of the default spawns. Because if we were to choose Squad Leader, we would have to run all the way from the default spawns all the time.

Yes, great thread. Didn't see it when I made this, sorry!

Upvote 0
The biggest problem is it seems that only 1 out of 3 matches will anyone take the Commander class...
I'm used to it from BF2. Pretty much the exact same setup there. Commanders spotted enemies for you and called in the arty (and a couple other things.) Half of the time you never had a commander, 1/4 of the time they didn't know what they were doing, and 1/4 of the time you got one that was amazing.

It's complex role, that takes time to learn, where the pay off is as much in your head as it is in what you do.

Commanders are very useful but they're not 100% necessary. And with 3d enemy spotting in the condition its in.....they're not exceptionally useful for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0