• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do people insist on playing stock maps

For me it's mostly because the stock maps are a known quantity, whereas only about 10% of the customs I have ever tried (and I've tried a lot) have been good enough to play. My favorite "custom" maps are from KF mod. :D

Edit: Should've said good enough to play regularly. Always nice to try new maps, but with official maps you know you're getting quality and balance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stock maps give achievements on steam. **shrug**

I suppose you're right; people just love to have little acheivs pop up...

I wonder what would happen if an acheivement was added for winning a set number of different custom maps? I'd expect a massive increase in alternative maps.

Also, welcome to the forums! :D

Upvote 0
If they start making consistently good Custom Maps, I'll play 'em. But most of the good Custom Maps tend to become stock. Look at Waterworks, Hospital Horrors, Filthscross, ect.

And most of them that remain are either along the lines of Boink or Doom2 (Fun for a bit but ultimately boring), or Defense B2/B3 and such (Too easy, look terrible).

Upvote 0
Because stock maps give acheevs.

Because I don't see dedicated servers running non-whitelisted maps.

Because there is no quality control. If Tripwire have not agreed to the map, I already know it's not for me.

But, suppose Tripwire chose another 3 maps from the best of the best customs, added acheevs then I am there.

When all my perks hit level 6 and I have all the suicidal and hoe acheevs its then worth playing customs.... So never say never ;)

Upvote 0
Because on 1 good non-official there are 9 maps, that totally sucks ***: some have awful visuals, some - balancing issues etc. And I don't have so much time to play (work, family and other stuff), so I don't see the point in wasting time to search for good additional map. If some of my friends invites me, than yes - I can download and play it.
And one more reason - stock maps are great. You can try different difficulties, spots, techniques (defend the spot or roam), team loadouts (try to win HoE game with 6 commandos, for example ;)) - so there are plenty of things to do. It isn't like L4D, where you finish campaigns for a couple of times, and game starts to feel really boring.

If TWI will choose some best maps, give them official status and add achievements for them, then hell yeah - I will play them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always figured people choose them because they're easy to win. I've kind of found it with all servers, really...
West London, Mountainpass and Biotics Lab seem to be the ones I see the most for servers with default maps only. In each of these you can see the enemy a mile away so you know what they are, in Biotics it's a bit similar - But since it's corridors, they're pretty much bottle necked everywhere.

In maps with custom maps, it's always Arcade Gas Station, Doom and Basin sands. Doom is similar to Biotics Lab with its corridors, Basin is Mountainpass. And for Arcade Gas station, it's just pure easy; Get two people to weld the doors and the people on the roof just shoot them dead.

If ever I complain to my team about how everyone chooses the same stuff, I find that they wind up picking something similarly easy; Such as Colosseum. Another wide open map to see things in every direction.

Upvote 0
Becaust stock maps are guarenteed quality.

Most of the custom maps i've ever experienced were pretty terrible, as i'm sure alot of people's is, so I shy away from them.

Totally agree.

When I was looking for maps to add to my server, I tested like over 400 customs maps. Kept only about 25. Most were very bad, few average and fewer good.
I am kinda picky, so even the popular ones like basinsands, doom2 and arcade didnt cut it for me.
I can post my selection if anyone is interested, 2 or 3 are not whitelisted tho.

As for most people playing stock, as many pointed out, it's mostly because of the achievements and the perk leveling.
I like to play stock maps in Suicidal and HoE, and custom in hard or normal.

Because there is no quality control. If Tripwire have not agreed to the map, I already know it's not for me.

too bad, your missing some excellent maps ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0