• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Magazine

It's called a "magazine", Tripwire Interactive.
It's not called a "clip".
Please, please rename it.
Calling it a "clip" is embarrassingly unprofessional.
A "clip" is something entirely different.

A "clip" is slang for a "magazine", just as the lever action rifle is another name for the winchester, the "hand cannon" is slang for the desert eagle, the bullpup is a description of a rifle with the magazine loading behind the pistol grip, and so on and so forth.

Their time could be spent better elsewhere, imo.

Upvote 0

Not to sound rude, but.....Who cares? I don't think this game is meant to appear ultra-professional with insults such as "******s!", "Soft as ****e!" and "Call yourself a bloody zombie?!" It has a very slang feeling about it. And with the slang all being British, it's a very fresh experience imho.

Upvote 0
Lever-action and bullpup are types of firearms. The SA80 is a Bullpup configuration rifle. They're just referred to by the type, rather than the proper name. Hand cannon is slang, however.

Some people also use "glock" as slang for "any kind of gun without a stock" but that doesn't mean it should be in the game.

It would be nice if they used Magazine instead of clip, but the only place I recall seeing it is at the trader: "buy 1 clip" all the vocals say magazine or mag (IIRC). Renaming the icon at the trader would be nice, and probably only take a couple minutes to implement. It's not like we're asking for the vocals to change when you are using the double-barreled shotgun.

And it's the mark of a good soldier to be able to trash talk your enemy (and your mates) while still knowing your equipment. ;)

Upvote 0
am I the only one who feels this is nitpicking? :D

How about a stripper clip magazine loader? Let's combine them all in one!
Hilarity ensues... :D

photo.php

Clip or mag, doesn't really matter to me. As long as they are full.

How about the Lever Action Rifle or Combat Shotgun then? They have no clips or mags. They use shells or cartridges. :eek:

Perhaps we should abolish these terms and rename them "X Times a full capacity of a fully loaded firearm". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Technically, the trader could be selling you stripper clips to reload your magazines, since you gradually run out of ammo for your mags and I very much doubt a professional soldier is going to toss a magazine - even an empty one - into the street. Those are not cheap. Not to mention that the Commando always seems to enter combat with 50-round mags for his Bullpup, and I doubt very much that's because the Trader doesn't sell 50-round mags to anyone who isn't a moderately ranked Commando. She doesn't seem the discriminating type.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not slang. They're totally different things.

A magazine and a clip can be two completely different things construed in a variety of manners.

A magazine can refer to a powered magazine, as are in ships, a bullet magazine, as are in weapons, or a reading magazine, as are found in the check out isles of stores.

A clip can refer to a clip of ammunition, a paper clip, a clip of a film, or various other things.

Lets face it. English doesn't make sense. Deal with it.

Upvote 0
How about the Lever Action Rifle or Combat Shotgun then? They have no clips or mags. They use shells or cartridges.

They both have a magazine. It's the tube you put your shells/cartridges into. It's not detachable, but it's a magazine. (The double-barrel shotgun doesn't have a magazine, but that's a bigger fix than changing an icon in the trader window.)

In a firearms context, clip and magazine have separate and definitive meanings. If you want to buy a magazine, no-one is going to think you want a copy of Newsweek. It's a simple change and would make the gun enthusiast contingent happy, how much time could it take to change one icon? It's not like the team would fix it at the expense of missed syringes or new maps or whatever.

Upvote 0
how much time could it take to change one icon?

I believe the shop buttons have text field in them one can edit.
but then again, I am happy with whatever it is, even if it was "One maximum volume of ammunition contained by the selected firearm".

As long as when I press the mouse button the gun goes BANG! and it spits out something that hurts the thingies unfortunately enough to stand in front of the barrel.

I can't believe how much butthurt one word in a menu can cause to some people... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
A magazine and a clip can be two completely different things construed in a variety of manners.

A magazine can refer to a powered magazine, as are in ships, a bullet magazine, as are in weapons, or a reading magazine, as are found in the check out isles of stores.

A clip can refer to a clip of ammunition, a paper clip, a clip of a film, or various other things.

Lets face it. English doesn't make sense. Deal with it.

Oh my god, the same word can mean different things depending on the context? And, as we all know, English is the only language that does this...

A "clip" is slang for a "magazine",

No, "clip" is "incorrect" for "magazine". It's like saying "gasoline" is slang for "diesel".

just as the lever action rifle is another name for the winchester, the "hand cannon" is slang for the desert eagle,

Both of those are the names that have to be used because of copyright issues.

the bullpup is a description of a rifle with the magazine loading behind the pistol grip, and so on and so forth.

Yes, but that is an actual description and the correct usage of the term, unlike saying "clip". The difference between clips and magazines is the difference between night and day.

Their time could be spent better elsewhere, imo.

It's just changing a simple string. Hell, just CTRL+F "clip" and change it to "mag".

I believe in the marines. Soldiers often refer to magazines as clips as in "pass me another clip" Now if im not mistaken marines are PROFESSIONAL soldiers.

Wiki definition of a clip

You know what "M.A.R.I.N.E." stands for?

Anyway, I wouldn't take a couple marine's words for it; they're wrong, no matter how you slice it, regardless of how "professional" they may be.

Most of the soldiers I've talked to/shot with refer to them, correctly, as "mags". The ones that don't, well, they have some strange ideas about how guns function to begin with (and are usually REMFs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As quoted from the wiki page :D

"The term clip is commonly, but erroneously, used to describe a firearm magazine."

and to further enhance that

OMG ZOMBIES HURRY PASS ME A MAGA....sorry becuase he was so busy thinking about direct terminology of his firearm he was eaten by zombies. Because you know in a zombie post apocalypse people fighting for there life's, they will defiantly take there time to remember the correct firearms terms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

"The term clip is commonly, but erroneously, used to describe a firearm magazine."

OMG ZOMBIES HURRY PASS ME A MAGA....sorry becuase he was so busy thinking about direct terminology of his firearm he was eaten by zombies. Because you know in a zombie post apocalypse people fighting for there life's, they will defiantly take there time to remember the correct firearms terms.

1: pass me that AK, quick!
2: its a Kalshnikov, dude.
1: just pass it to me, ffs
2: say Ka-la-shni-kov.
1: kkk, Kalashnikov, give it to me quick they are close!!!
2: Here you go.
*click*click*click*
1: wtf it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1. The soldiers in the game actually do say mag. "CHANGING MAGS!" and such. I know because I've heard it exactly eleven billion times.

2. Let's take your quote and change the emphasis, shall we? "The term clip is commonly, but erroneously, used to describe a firearm magazine."

Oh hey. Look at that.

Upvote 0