Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 AM

Default Please upgrade the awesome level of the katana

Hey guys, long time RO player here. I've played and loved RO1 and moved onto RO2 as soon as it was released. Rising Storm has been my favourite update thus far. I don't read these forums much or post much but I thought I'd share my thoughts about the katana.

The katana is a very powerful melee weapon since it always one hit kills, provided you can get near them. However as a squad leader and commander only weapon, it doesn't support the squad/team very well. By choosing to use the katana you are sacrificing a respawn point for 1.. maybe 2 kills. IIRC, the katana provides a banzai charge bonus to nearby players but thats about it. It is a very ineffective tool for SL's and TL's.

So this begs the question: Why is the katana in the game anyway?

My personal opinion: Historical reasons and the awesomeness of having a family heirloom katana. But it is not a useful tool for Axis.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now if Tripwire wanted to change that, here is my suggestion:

1. Once an enemy player is killed by a katana. There should be a suppression bomb effect to nearby enemy infantry witnessing the event. You are seeing your buddy being cut down by a fearless Japanese swordsman! I would be scared too.

(This also helps the *new* swordsmaster recover from his attack and retreat to safety or perhaps charge at another enemy to inspire his men).

New VOs can come later, they would require a time to put together but I can see someone putting together some .wav's already in the game to create this effect.

Sample Scenario:
Japanese Swordsman as he is about to cut down his enemy: TENNO HEIKA BANZAI! (For the Emperor)
Enemy: No! NO! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

2. Nearby friendly infantry should receive a small stamina boost as well as suppression resist/addition if they witness for the event.

Sample Scenario:
Your squad leader is cutting down the enemy. The enemy is scared, they are panicked around your squad leader. This gives you renewed strength to fight on.

3. When a squad/team leader dies. He sound provide a bigger stamina boost as well as suppression resist to nearby friendly infantry depending on how many soldiers he has killed that life. Similar to a German infantry charge but in reverse.

Sample Scenario:
Your squad leader charges into the fray with his katana. He cuts down one... two.. three enemies before succumbing to his wounds. You feel fury rising within you. How could such a noble warrior die in such a way? You ignore all distractions. Focused on your task to avenge your squad leader.

Edit:
4. In addition to the first three. When a SL kills an enemy with the katana, nearby soldier's witnessing the event should yell a battlecry and a notification pops up indicating that they received a stamina boost/suppression resist. Perhaps a simple "Banzai charge now!" would suffice to help push the advantage. This should be an option in settings to turn on/off but would assist friendly players to help the SL when he charges with a katana.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now you might be thinking: But hey AJ, looks like you want to make every Japanese squad leader an invincible Japanese steel swordsmaster of the Emperor. You want to encourage every squad leader to stop acting as a respawn point and play with swords only.

Well no that is not my intention. My intention is to make the katana a more useful tool for squad leaders. Perhaps encourage last ditch banzai charges when the point is being capped. My personal opinion is that banzai charges arn't used much on the Axis team. I've had many games where the respawns don't even banzai charge to the battle. I want this idea to promote my banzai charging.

Most of all, I want to see the katana used more. These bonuses can be controlled by the level of the katana. There are 3 different katanas that don't do much other than a cosmetic upgrade.

Thanks for reading guys and I leave you what I imagine if these bonuses were added to the game (except the third one so lets pretend he has a level 2 katana).

Big Sample Scenario:
You're a Japanese rifleman. Your squad has been holding a point for a long time now but ammo is running out. Enemy artillery is endlessly shelling behind your position so reinforcements can't come. The enemy is about to overwhelm your position. Morale is low, most of your squad are down to your sidearms to defend this point. The commander has dictated that you must hold for as long as possible, for the Emperor.

Your squad leader calls the squad together. A last ditch effort to delay the inevitable. He will lead a banzai charge against the enemy. You and your squad are reluctant to follow. It seems like suicide! But you all follow anyway. Your squad leader is calm and calculative. He is the man you follow, the leader you believe in. Everyone moves into position and readies to charge on his signal.

The gun fire has stopped as you have all stopped returning fire. The artillery stops for the first time since they started attacking. A calm breeze sweeps across the battlefield, it is quiet. As if there was no battle happening on this island. For a brief moment you feel a sense of peace, a sense of security but that briefly fades. Every enemy soldier wonders what has happened to the stalwart defenders of this place. You look at your squad leader, unintelligible gibberish is heard. They are talking. They are moving up.

A enemy grenade is thrown but you don't take your eyes off your squad leader. At that moment, with sword and nambu pistol, he gives the signal. Everyone leaves their position and charges. You screams at the top of your lungs with your comrades "TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!".

The enemy is caught off guard, they are panicked. Enemy squad leaders are trying to keep their men in position but they are scared as well. They start running away. The enemies who stay are quickly cut down by katana, bayonet and rifle butts but not before emptying their magazines in a futile attempt to stop the charge. The enemy is regrouping, enemy artillery resumes near your position, one shell lands near you, you are knocked down. You look to the sky and you can see artillery shells fall from the sky. It seems hopeless now, this is the end for you. The charge has stopped, most of your comrades have fallen but not before killing a sizable chunk of the enemy.

You look towards where you were supposed to go, you see your squad leader still alive.. Still fighting but you can see the enemy will soon surround him. With his nambu pistol in his left hand, he shoots one American soldier in the head. A familiar metal bang rings through the battlefield as the bullet strikes true. *bang bang ding* Your squad leader is shot in the leg and then in the gut but his zeal gives him strength. An American soldier tries to sneak up on your squad leader but he runs out of ammo in his Garand. The American soldier, out of options, tries to charge your squad leader with a pitiful bayonet. A foolish mistake that he will pay dearly for. One fell swoop with his katana and the squad leader cuts down the easy target. The soldier's scream echos throughout the battlefield. You feel inspired by this act. The enemy is not strong, they are stupid. You can do this. You can still win..

You get up on your knees, your eyes can't move away from your squad leader. Your squad leader empties his pistol into bush where another American soldier was hiding and throws it at another American soldier. He charges him while he is distracted and cuts him down. Your squad leader is visibly wounded, he is bleeding, he needs your help! You pick your rifle and start to charge once again.

Last edited by Applejack; 02-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
On Vacation

I agree that the katana could use some serious love - as a frequent SL and sometime TL I absolutely never ever have seen the use of pulling that sword instead of using my primary weapon in any charge. Unfortunately, your imagining of the RS field of battle is poetic but totally unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
You're a Japanese rifleman. Your squad has been holding a point for a long time now but ammo is running out. Enemy artillery is endlessly shelling behind your position so reinforcements can't come. The enemy is about to overwhelm your position. Morale is low, most of your squad are down to your sidearms to defend this point. The commander has dictated that you must hold for as long as possible, for the Emperor.

Your squad leader calls the squad together. A last ditch effort to delay the inevitable. He will lead a banzai charge against the enemy. You and your squad are reluctant to follow. It seems like suicide! But you all follow anyway. Your squad leader is calm and calculative. He is the man you follow, the leader you believe in. Everyone moves into position and readies to charge on his signal.

You seem to be describing a defence situation but I just don't think a Banzai charge is used in this way ever. It's probably most effective in overrunning a cap in offence, and very rarely used in defence. It seems the area of influence is only a few metres anyway, so the enemy better be very close unless you're going to find a bullet in your head fast, in any situation.

Quote:
The gun fire has stopped as you have all stopped returning fire. The artillery stops for the first time since they started attacking. A calm breeze sweeps across the battlefield, it is quiet. As if there was no battle happening on this island. For a brief moment you feel a sense of peace, a sense of security but that briefly fades. Every enemy soldier wonders what has happened to the stalwart defenders of this place. You look at your squad leader, unintelligible gibberish is heard. They are talking. They are moving up.
The gunfire never ever stops, even if youre playing against bots. I don't even know what kind of server you would have to find to see this. People either die because they have one life (CD or the new S@D) or they just keep coming because they respawn. I also doubt that any pub player respects the SL enough to wait for his call at the best of times. It's a culture of 'I know best' and the SL is relegated to a function of providing spawns, smoke and arty marks. No wonder, they are total strangers to us usually.

Quote:
The enemy is caught off guard, they are panicked. Enemy squad leaders are trying to keep their men in position but they are scared as well. They start running away. [...] An American soldier tries to sneak up on your squad leader but he runs out of ammo in his Garand. The American soldier, out of options, tries to charge your squad leader with a pitiful bayonet. A foolish mistake that he will pay dearly for. One fell swoop with his katana and the squad leader cuts down the easy target.
First, have you ever seen anybody run away when you come at them? On any team in any game-mode either in HoS or RS? I really don't think so. More likely? They either start to pop away at you with their automatic weapons or try to melee you with it it it's out of bullets. And then a teammate will come up pretty quickly from respawn and try to do the same.

Secondly, it would take a really disorientated newbie on drugs to miss every shot with his Garand, and if he did, he would probably be joined with a few teammates who would not miss. I mean, you only have a sword, you got to get close, and he has 8 shots at close range to put you down. Also, every player on the Allied team has an automatic weapon, so the chances of having a long and clear chance of cutting someone down with a katana when they have spent their ammo when your out in the open are very very slim.

My bottom line is, the katana could use some love to make it a weapon that is not there to just get in the way when I am trying to find the binocs. I don't think your description of the effect of any changes are realistic at all.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Mo luv for katana :O
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM

Of course I romanticized it a bit. The situation such as the one I described above will never happen but the main point is: the katana is a weak tool for SLs and TLs. It needs some Tripwire loving/upgrade to make it more useful.

As for the empty Garand shots, you'd be surprised how many people empty their magazine into a banzai charge that quickly. Especially with the suppression effect they will miss a lot.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The katana is a very powerful melee weapon since it always one hit kills, provided you can get near them. However as a squad leader and commander only weapon, it doesn't support the squad/team very well. By choosing to use the katana you are sacrificing a respawn point for 1.. maybe 2 kills. IIRC, the katana provides a banzai charge bonus to nearby players but thats about it. It is a very ineffective tool for SL's and TL's.

Stopped reading here.
Katana is a very effective weapon and the charge bonus it provides is an extremely important tool. The Japanese side is pretty much weaker in every regard - weapons, positions and tools. Their only redeeming factors are grenade launchers (great for defense and cover), traps and banzai charges. And the last ones are their greatest weapon - they need to be coordinated and well-played, but if they are, they're extremely effective, almost too effective on offense. And the Katana, along with the bonus it provides, is an awesome tool to make these charges even deadlier.
It's not meant to be a terrifying "main" weapon that you walk around with, this isn't Skyrim. Once the TL gets to the point and maybe hacks someone with it, he should switch to an automatic weapon immediately.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singami View Post
[/LEFT]
Stopped reading here.
Katana is a very effective weapon and the charge bonus it provides is an extremely important tool. The Japanese side is pretty much weaker in every regard - weapons, positions and tools. Their only redeeming factors are grenade launchers (great for defense and cover), traps and banzai charges. And the last ones are their greatest weapon - they need to be coordinated and well-played, but if they are, they're extremely effective, almost too effective on offense. And the Katana, along with the bonus it provides, is an awesome tool to make these charges even deadlier.
It's not meant to be a terrifying "main" weapon that you walk around with, this isn't Skyrim. Once the TL gets to the point and maybe hacks someone with it, he should switch to an automatic weapon immediately.

This.
It also provides the indication to the rest of the squad/team that there is a banzai charge happening and you need to go --now.

It works well defensively also.
I've seen plenty of almost-captured objectives be retaking by Japanese by using the Banzai charge.

OP -- I'm really hoping your username is a reference to the breakfast cereal/drink, and not the MLP character
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singami View Post
[/LEFT]
Stopped reading here.
How often is a pub game going to be well coordinated?

True the banzai charge may be effective if they are well coordinated but they never are. I've never seen my charge counter go past 3 during typical pub play. The ideas I suggest, which you didn't even bother reading, help the SL assist the team by banzai charging. Should people follow him or not, if he decides to banzai charge, his actions are working toward team victory.

Right now it is disadvantageous to banzai charge as a squad leader. You are losing too much and gaining very little in return. If my upgrades were implemented then it would give more return of investment if a squad leader decides to banzai charge. And even more-so if he decides to organize one. This even gives incentive for SL's to organize a banzai charge. This is what I want. More incentive for Axis players to banzai charge.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't be against some adjustments to the katana's bonus to a banzai charge, but only as part of a lot of other changes RS needs in my opinion.

The biggest issue I see with banzai charges at the moment is that it is so rare to find a Japanese time either willing to do it or one with the coordination necessary. I don't know how to instill players on the Japanese team with honorable warrior spirit, but there could certainly be ways to make such charges easier to coordinate.

All of this is speaking in regards to realism mode. Never see anybody playing classic and last time I tried action mode it was just an endless banzai charge across the map absorbing .30-06 hits like Nerf darts.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
How often is a pub game going to be well coordinated?
As often as SLs know this isn't Call of Duty and make calls on the voice chat.
Quote:
True the banzai charge may be effective if they are well coordinated but they never are. I've never seen my charge counter go past 3 during typical pub play.
Go to better servers then. This game shouldn't be balanced for newbies that aren't willing to learn or just listen to simple commands "Stay put" and "Charge all!".
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommissarLampshade View Post
The biggest issue I see with banzai charges at the moment is that it is so rare to find a Japanese time either willing to do it or one with the coordination necessary. I don't know how to instill players on the Japanese team with honorable warrior spirit, but there could certainly be ways to make such charges easier to coordinate.
HA yeah. I love it when I banzai with like 4 people at the very end of a game and there are 10 or so guys standing there looking at us like "Good luck with that <:D"