• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP-40 is a a death ray gun!

How about a video?

mp40sniper - YouTube
Too easy.

I would just like to point out the number of rounds you spent just to get those handful of kills compared to a rifleman. This supports the whole "they aren't sniping you, they're spraying and getting a lucky shot" thing that I've been harping on the whole time. You were firing as if it was a semi-auto and it still took you 5-10 shots per kill.

Another thing to factor in, how long did it take you to get those kills? How many failed attempts did you edit out?

Upvote 0
I think ak's etc are sighted to 300 meters or something

AK-74's iron sights can be set for 1000 meters though.

Kinda like the Mosin's 2000 meter sights. (Major Trololololo)

I wouldn't call that "spraying", Nader. He was taking aimed bursts at people outside of the MP-40's effective range, which is the issue people are having. Hell, if you listen closely, you can hear that he actually hit a few of them more than once.

Upvote 0
I think defending the mp40 with this evidence is a bit stupid now... it can duel riflemen with ease
Indeed. We really need not go overboard with citing real world data when the gun is clearly an obvious gameplay issue.

Yesterday I got tired of trying really hard on Commissar's House and decided to have a go with the MP40, once a slot opened up. In a matter of two lives, I had killed eight people, and half of those were snipe shots at people in windows. Heck, it was almost easier with the MP40 to hit people in windows because of the suppression and the bullet penetration -- rather than take the time to line up the shot just perfectly like with a rifle, I could aim with a few inches off and just guide my recoilless bullets into the enemy's head.

By the time the round was over, I had 25 kills in a span of about 5 minutes. Insane. Now you might say, "well that map is CQB, so you SHOULD have a score like that." My answer to this the fact that I got just as many kills in areas that SHOULD have been dominated by rifleman as I did in tight corridors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0
Its not just the MP40 too, its the semi's and to a lesser extent ppsh. Eventually it will be worse when people hit Hero level and have everything levelled to max with all the unlocks.

Too much zoom, too little recoil, too little spread, too little sway. I don't want the guns to be hard through randomness though, you should have control as long as you're good with the weapon, like IRL.

Reactions: aop
Upvote 0
Its not just the MP40 too, its the semi's and to a lesser extent ppsh. Eventually it will be worse when people hit Heroe level and have everything levelled to max with all the unlocks.

Too much zoom, too little recoil, too little spread, too little sway. I don't want the guns to be hard through randomness though, you should have control as long as you're good with the weapon, like IRL.
Yes you bring up a good point. If this how a weapon such as the MP40 performs when players are at a fairly low level, just imagine what it will be like when players have tons of buffs from being ranked up.

Upvote 0
I think defending the mp40 with this evidence is a bit stupid now... it can duel riflemen with ease

It should be able to within 200m. None of his shots are beyond the realm of possibility, and hardly any of them are first round sure shots.

Just because it as an effective range of 100m doesn't mean the rounds suddenly stop after 100m. I can pull off the same shots with the PPSH, and that weapon has a 150m effective range. I'm hard pressed to beat a rifleman, who is paying attention, to the kill though. If he just sits there and lets my rounds impact around him until something hits, that's his fault not the weapons.

The running shot was just luck though. Sometimes, you're just going to get lucky.

I think the bigger issue is the amount of force the rounds are arriving with. At that range, a metal helmet should be able to stop a 9mm. Hell, you're going to have a rough time getting through most thick clothing. So it's kind of odd that the 9mm, at 150m, is arriving with the stopping power of a 7.62mm. It should injure if it hits naked flesh, or thin clothing, but not outright stop the target.

-Paas

Last edited:
Reactions: aop and the_Monk
Upvote 0
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and to me atleast that video doesn't prove anything.

Now my real problem is with the comparative effectiveness of bolt actions. Taking into account the super fast bandaging and ridiculous wounding system, spraying will trump accurate bolt-action fire most of the time at engagement ranges where the bolt-action should shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hesgad
Upvote 0
It should be able to within 200m. None of his shots are beyond the realm of possibility, and hardly any of them are first round sure shots.

Just because it as an effective range of 100m doesn't mean the rounds suddenly stop after 100m. I can pull off the same shots with the PPSH, and that weapon has a 150m effective range. I'm hard pressed to beat a rifleman, who is paying attention, to the kill though. If he just sits there and lets my rounds impact around him until something hits, that's his fault not the weapons.

The running shot was just luck though. Sometimes, you're just going to get lucky.

I think the bigger issue is the amount of force the rounds are arriving with. At that range, a metal helmet should be able to stop a 9mm. Hell, you're going to have a rough time getting through most thick clothing. So it's kind of odd that the 9mm, at 150m, is arriving with the stopping power of a 7.62mm. It should injure if it hits naked flesh, or thin clothing, but not outright stop the target.

-Paas

^^^^ 100% this ^^^^

Upvote 0
I believe that it's fairly realistic as it is.

From what I understand the effective range for MP-40 is 200 m, that means that it should be fairly accurate up to that range.
But that still doesn't mean the bullets should disappear after they reach 200 meters so even though it's more difficult, 250 m and even 300 meter kills should be quite possible with targets large enough and/or with some luck.

Lol have you ever shot a mp40? I have and it was semi automatic(more accurate than the war version) and at the range it was barely able to even hit a target at 100m from a rested firing position.To be honest it wasn't that accurate at 50m as far as hitting the bulls eye.Yes out of 20 rounds you could hit a 100m target but the shot pattern was about 12-24 inches(from a rested firing position) standing it was about double that.

The effective range by NO means is its accuracy range yes it can kill up to 200m.That doesn't mean it will hit its target in 3 rounds. Since this is just my word and people refuse to listen to reason.I ask anyone to go to a gun range or club and rent a mp40 to shoot(or any 9mm carbine with a 10" standard barrel) and set up at a 100m target and see for yourself how accurate it is.

In real life you have to pretty much spray a target at 100m to hit them not 1-3 shots like the video showed.The accuracy of SMG's in this game is making semi auto's and bolts pretty much useless.In ro1 bolts was a viable option now unless your just a masochist(like me :p) its just the gun you get stuck with.

While bolts can still be used to good effect with super reflex's and shot placement 8 times out of 10 you will get gunned down by a smg by a person of equal skill at 100m within the first 3 shots. realistic? I think not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol have you ever shot a mp40? I have and it was semi automatic(more accurate than the war version) and at the range it was barely able to even hit a target at 100m from a rested firing position.To be honest it wasn't that accurate at 50m as far as hitting the bulls eye.Yes out of 20 rounds you could hit a 100m target but the shot pattern was about 12-24 inches(from a rested firing position) standing it was about double that.

The effective range by NO means is its accuracy range yes it can kill up to 200m.That doesn't mean it will hit its target in 3 rounds. Since this is just my word and people refuse to listen to reason.I ask anyone to go to a gun range or club and rent a mp40 to shoot(or any 9mm carbine with a 10" standard barrel) and set up at a 100m target and see for yourself how accurate it is.

In real life you have to pretty much spray a target at 100m to hit them not 1-3 shots like the video showed.The accuracy of SMG's in this game is making semi auto's and bolts pretty much useless.In ro1 bolts was a viable option now unless your just a masochist(like me :p) its just the gun you get stuck with.

While bolts can still be used to good effect with super reflex's and shot placement 8 times out of 10 you will get gunned down by a smg by a person of equal skill at 100m within the first 3 shots. realistic? I think not.

Fired a MP40, 9mm AR-15, accuracy was never an issue. Yes, wind did displace the shot groupings to the right and left at times, but they were still reasonable groupings. No it wasn't a 1MOA rifle or anything, but I could reliably hit a torso sized plate at 200yds (182m).

Unlike the 30-30 and 30-06 we fired that day, the plate didn't really move though. That's really the problem, the Mp40 is hitting at range how it hits indoors. The 9mm coming out of this thing isn't bleeding any energy at all.

I think a in game test showing shot pattern, and the strike of some of these kill shots is in order. If it's catching people in the T-Box then it's all just bad luck. If a 9mm is ripping through helmets, walls, and uniforms at 200m we have an issue.

-Paas

Upvote 0
sights.jpg

Reactions: Paajtor
Upvote 0