• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your Recommended Weapons For Medic

Errmac

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 25, 2011
Hello.

I felt like posting in the forum since I've looked around and the question of general field Medic loadout seems to have never been talked about in great detail and I wanted to view your guys opinion on what your optimal loadout is (read: Not the best but your preference.)

Since I've started the game during the Twisted Christmas update I started playing normal and found that using the Medic Smg allowed for him to perform multiple roles well and used the Hunting Shotgun for crowd control when necessary. Obviously since I've adapted and gone from Normal to hard I learned that it isn't essentially the most cost effective weapon to use but I continue to utilize it out of force of habit or M32 when I acquire enough cash.

I've heard that most Medic utilize the Crossbow for their weapon usage but I wanted to see your opinions on what your optimal Medic loadout is.

I prefer AK-47 + MP7M + Dual HCs + Machete. Off perk AK-47 still one shots Crawlers/Clots/Gorefasts and you've got 30 rounds in a mag. It's recoil lands headshots when you aim for chest level, so you can dump a mag on a Husk or Siren if you have to, or switch to the Dual HCs to punch a hole through a mob or give some damage assistance to downing a bigger specimen. MP7M for healing obviously, Machete for if your ammo dries or you want to get personal.

Upvote 0
Most work well, but there are a few to avoid:

-AA12 doesn't do enough damage/have enough ammo to merit the weight.
-Flamethrower and LAW for the same reasons.
-M14 is a joke for Sharpshooters, let alone medics
-All grenade launchers. No damage resistance means you can ruin your armor in a hurry.
-Axe doesn't do enough damage to merit the slower attack speed as Medic.

Some that some like but I'm kinda iffy on:
-Crossbow. Post-nerf, it doesn't 1-shot Scrakes anymore or do significant damage to FPs, while costing a ton and weighing a lot.
-SCAR can be useful, but it's recoil is somewhat crazy if you're not a commando.
-Hunting Shotgun has long reloads and less damage, getting you maimed a lot.
-Normal Shotgun is a little light on the ammo.

Most of the rest are good. Handcannons, AK-47s, and Bullpups are particularly good for a medic.

Upvote 0
I almost always buy a katana early on for personal protection and dealing with clots, gorefasts, etc. Either I go zerker for the first 2-3 waves (since you usually don't need a medic there) or ask a zerker to buy it for me. It's also helpful later on for blocking fleshpounds, since I can never seem to distract him with the knife until 1-2 of my teammates are already dead. I also almost always take the mp7. There was once a time where I wouldn't but now I consider it vital.

My favorite loadouts:

katana + mp7 + m79 - my personal favorite if I have room to use the m79 and can afford it. It's pretty weak without the grenade bonus so I mainly use this for killing groups of crawlers and saving teammates who get cornered/grabbed. Great defensive weapon, and defense is the role of the medic.

katana + mp7 + lar - alternative loadout if I can't afford an m79 or where the bigger threat is being overrun and mobility isn't much of an option (biotics, bedlam, offices, etc). I use the lar to help the team kill incoming mobs, mp7 to heal and katana when things get dirty.

Katana + mp7 + ak - meh, used to like this but prefer the lar/m79. AK is good at filling the m79's role when there isn't enough room to fire a grenade launcher, but that's really it. Don't use this too much, but I mediced a hospitalhorrors game on hoe with this loadout the other day and it went very well.

machete + mp7 + xbow - useful when your whole team consists of support and demos. Heal with mp7 and pick off husks from a distance with the xbow.

Usually I try to have my entire loadout complete by wave 5 or 6. In other words, if I can't afford the m79 or whatever by then I'm not going to spend the rest of the game saving up for it. The rest of my money always goes to my teammates, whose use of it is much more valuable than mine.

As far as donations go my preference is usually dead > demo > support > xbow sharpie > commando > m14 sharpie > firebug > zerker

edit - I generally do no like to use the mp7's primary unless I have to. Reason being is that it has a longer reload than I'd like and I'm always stuck reloading when my team's getting destroyed. Don't be afraid to use it, but don't use it just for the sake of using it, either.

Think that's enough. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0
Depends on the role you're trying to fill. If your team is fairly balanced and not doing badly, I'd grab a lever action, mp7, and trade some dosh to a sharpie for dual handcannons. In a wide open area you can pick off/stun some of the annoying specimens (sharpshooter should be doing this anyway, but maybe he's not perfect or you don't have one) while drawing some aggro with the pistols, even denting the scrakes' health on normal/hard/suicidal, and with a certain amount of players. As a bonus you can defend yourself fairly well with this, but handcannons run out of ammo fast, even if you take your time with 'em. With all weapons you'll want to use the 9mm a lot.

The M32 isn't a horrible choice on some maps due to its ability to actually take out fleshpounds (again, lower difficulties and less players) but also to clear off teammates who are swarmed and wounded. Pretty tough to heal a guy when he's surrounded by clots and gorefasts - and it puts you in more of a general life saver role, not just to sit around and top off teammates' health every now and again.

Rarely I'll get an AK-47, though. Little more powerful than the 9mm per shot, spread isn't too bad with iron sights, and the SCAR is really a waste of money for the medic, where the bullpup is too weak to even kill enemies with a headshot or two.

Upvote 0
MP7: Healing, Crawler clearance
Lever Action: Most of the enemies; this is what I use as my primary
Dual Handcannons: actually, these have a very special purpose: when a FP is enraged, or a scrake in some cases, I use these to distract them from my weaker teammates and allow for an easier takedown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MP7, Bullpup or Crossbow.

If my team is a bit awful at protecting me I'll use the Bullpup, because in most cases I find myself being surrounded because no one bothered to watch my back.
Otherwise, I use a Crossbow to take out Scrakes/Fleshpounds/Sirens; If I don't kill them, I stun them at least.

Normally I'll use the crossbow since I acquire way too much dosh to spare at the end of the wave, that I can afford ammo for it.

Upvote 0
It's just MP7, no need to put the 9 on the end ;)

Ontopic, mine's either MP7, M10 FA, DHC or

MP7, Xbow.

Depending on the situation and what the team needs.

Or i can use the LAR if i can't get either of my loadouts.

Is xbow still effective (or cost effective) as a medic?

Also, in my exhaustion, I mixed the medigun and the nade launcher names together...creating the launcher of healing nades:p

Upvote 0
MP7 + Katana + LAR is my favorite. Sometimes using m79 instead of LAR, but it depends of the map and team. And don't buy Katana/m79 by yourself, give money and ask zerker/demo to drop those weapons for you.
I'm totally against medic with xbow, because usually while he is aiming, he forgets to provide healing.

Upvote 0
Is xbow still effective (or cost effective) as a medic
Unless you have a great Sharpshooter or two Sharpshooters, I'd say yes; It is quite effective. Sometimes everyone is so stuck up on taking everything from the front, that the poor guy in the back is reloading as a Scrake tries to saw his face in; A joyous arrow to the head saves lives, including your own; Many times. If it's not a kill, sure as heckie doodles it'll be a stun, long enough for the guy to finish his reload and finish it off.

But, it is quite expensive... So it's for emergency uses really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unless you have a great Sharpshooter or two Sharpshooters, I'd say yes; It is quite effective. Sometimes everyone is so stuck up on taking everything from the front, that the poor guy in the back is reloading as a Scrake tries to saw his face in; A joyous arrow to the head saves lives, including your own; Many times. If it's not a kill, sure as heckie doodles it'll be a stun, long enough for the guy to finish his reload and finish it off.

But, it is quite expensive... So it's for emergency uses really.

Yeah, but on which difficulties is it worth the dosh (over giving it to needy teammates)? I remember one game of suicidal mountainpass where the medic kept enraging stuff with his bow instead of actually healing people, and killed one of our actual SS by hiding behind him from an enraged scrake, and used enough dosh to supply half our team...and ever since then Ive been very wary of xbowing medics

Upvote 0
Yeah, but on which difficulties is it worth the dosh (over giving it to needy teammates)? I remember one game of suicidal mountainpass where the medic kept enraging stuff with his bow instead of actually healing people, and killed one of our actual SS by hiding behind him from an enraged scrake, and used enough dosh to supply half our team...and ever since then Ive been very wary of xbowing medics
Yeah... I'm a Normal/hard scrub so my posts never count for anything over hard >.<

On Hard, I don't even recommend trying the Bullpup. It's great on normal, but otherwise...

Upvote 0
I actually never used to use the xbow much as medic back when everyone used to go mp7/xbow. Reason being is that sharpshooter was so strong back then to the point where a suicidal game would have at least 2, maybe 3 xbow sharpies on a team regardless of the map. Then I would mostly go m79, lar, or ak except for a few circumstances (e.g. the usual corner on bedlam).

Now it has a lot more uses since it's basically the same as a sharpshooter not counting scrakes and fleshpounds (and sharpies aren't the ideal candidate for taking out the latter anyways). If my team lacks range it is very useful for taking out husks and other threats from a distance, and it also works well when I'm medicing for an all zerker team. The zerkers can keep me safe from anything up close and I can help them take out the husks and sirens from a distance (the two biggest threats for a zerker imo).

Upvote 0
The LAR is probably the best weapon you could have, coupled with a handcannon or two.

If you have a generous commando nearby, see if you can scrounge an AK-47 - it's a very versatile weapon that won't let you down in panic situations.

A shotgun is also nice to have, but its weight is a bit of a turnoff. :(

Upvote 0