• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] Level of Detail

kalle

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006
After playing the game for some hours on my main rig, I have one major gripe. I have everything on ultra, still the LOD (level of detail) swapping makes the game really annoying to play. Every little camera move makes some new obejct or texture update itself.. Which makes it almost impossible to spot an enemy while you are running because there's always some object somewhere on the screen updating its LOD.

I honestly think RO:O is a better visual experience than this, because the visual quality is stable over distance. Don't get me wrong, I think RO2 looks pretty good other than this little problem.

I mean sometimes a whole building is swapped when you get within 50 meters to it. If that switch took place when you where about 150 meters from it, it might have worked, but now it's just too noticeable..

I would rather set the quality of the visuals lower, but with no or little LOD switching for more stable visuals. If anyone knows how to tweak this, sorry for this rant.

(Also, my bolt-action rifle doesn't have any bullet impact effects! How am I supposed to improve my hipshooting!?!)

Yep, the ingame settings doesn't change a thing. I think I found a way to improve the textures a bit.. I changed MinLODSize to 512, which might have helped a bit.

Here's the part i'm talking about, in ROEngine, I changed to MinLODSize=512 in all of the texturegroups, you could try 1024 too but you don't acctually want to increase the min value, but rather move the texture popping further away from the camera, anyone knows if LODBias has anything to do with that? I will try to tweak it later tonight.

TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ATM game picture and quality is utterly unstable in regard to movement.

And it's not just LODs and texture loading, there are all kinds of flickering, shadow lingering etc.
Its one thing to look good in screenshot and standing still, and another while moving and changing viewpoint.

But I adore the overall look and feel, and also colorization scheme. I think it's superb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0