• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To everyone complaining about the zoom being unrealistic

couldnt it just be implemented so that when you ads the outer part of the screen becomes blurred and what your aiming at becomes zoomed in.

i guess what i have the most prob is, is being able to zoom in without even ads. you can be covered, hold w and then hit zoom, and zoom in the all the terrain in front of you. almost like your are looking through a weak set of binoculars.

Upvote 0
couldnt it just be implemented so that when you ads the outer part of the screen becomes blurred and what your aiming at becomes zoomed in.

i guess what i have the most prob is, is being able to zoom in without even ads. you can be covered, hold w and then hit zoom, and zoom in the all the terrain in front of you. almost like your are looking through a weak set of binoculars.

*Rolls his head across the keyboard*

You don't need to blur the edges of the screen, the zoom cuts WAY down on your peripheral in the first place.

And why should you need the butt of a gun jammed up your nose to be able to focus on a certain area?

It's merely zooming in so that you can see the details you could pick out in real life.

RTFT.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with the zoom.

Just the other day I fooled around with it while riding my bike down a long stretch with people in front of me. They were twice as big at 100 meters as they are in game without zoom.

I also ran track so I can judge 100 meters pretty well and know what size people look like at that distance.

This is why most first person shooters stick with the close quarter theme.

The problem I have is the lack of sway. A lot of people on here think it's easy to "hit a target at 100m"...yeah if you get proper support and control your breathing. Standing and firing at that range with a heavy k98 (which I have) isn't the easiest thing. You'll hit near your target, but you won't have the pinpoint precision that is currently in the game (.5 inch groups at 200 yards)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Roderick
Upvote 0

Just the other day I fooled around with it while riding my bike down a long stretch with people in front of me. They were twice as big at 100 meters as they are in game without zoom.

I also ran track so I can judge 100 meters pretty well and know what size people look like at that distance.

The problem I have is the lack of sway. A lot of people on here think it's easy to "hit a target at 100m"...yeah if you get proper support and control your breathing. Standing and firing at that range with a heavy k98 (which I have) isn't the easiest thing. You'll hit near your target, but you won't have the pinpoint precision that is currently in the game (.5 inch groups at 200 yards)
Exactly.

Upvote 0

also agree with this....

and werent the soldiers we are representing in this game malnourished, dehydrated and somewhat weak at the time of this battle?

Upvote 0
You can get another level of zoom by pressing shift to hold your breath.

Oh wow just found this. I had 'disable sprint key zoom' ticket, so when I ADS I simply went into the normal zoon. I didn't realise there was another level.

What I meant in my original post in this topic, was that I though that people had set it up so that when they ADS there is no zoom at all, and had bound a key to toggle that zoom.

Upvote 0
Did you read the OP? That's exactly what I said.

No. You said

It compensates for our eyes being unable to focus on game objects, as they are focusing on our computer monitors. So, it compensates for that by enlarging the area we want to shoot at so that we may more accurately pick out details that we could normally pick out in real life unaided.

You're right that the feature is there so that we can see dtails that we could normally see in real life unaided, but it has nothing to do with "focus". It has to do with the fact that the view you see through your monitor becomes distorted (in this case, smaller) because you are essentially "squeezing" 70-90 degrees of FOV into a space of only 10-20. By reducing the field of view (zooming), you reduce the distortion, which in this case means things appear larger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. You said

You're right that the feature is there so that we can see dtails that we could normally see in real life unaided, but it has nothing to do with "focus". It has to do with the fact that the view you see through your monitor becomes distorted (in this case, smaller) because you are essentially "squeezing" 70-90 degrees of FOV into a space of only 10-20. By reducing the field of view (zooming), you reduce the distortion, which in this case means things appear larger.

Quite right. My mistake.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm sorry...but NO! The extra zoom (hitting shift) is not very realistic. The little ADS Zoom however is (like in RO1). I always liked RO1 because the didn't have an overdone zoom like so many shooters do.
I'm playing Airsoft and when I'm aiming at a person who's far away I'm just as well pixelhunting as I would do in RO without the Shift-Zoom.
However I use it in RO2 because everybody does and so I'd be disadvantaged if I wouldn't. But that's a feature I'd like to have excluded.

Upvote 0